Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a "Gen 2" Glock 21 with serial number beginning with "XL" and I've read several posts here and there about the "update" or "upgrade" (don't say "recall") to early model Glocks. Mine has the 90 degree extractor and black internals. I haven't specifically read whether these upgrades are "needed," i.e., whether there's a specific danger to keeping the gun as is, which I would prefer to do for historical purposes, or whether I should just send it in to Glock. Mind you, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet so I don't know of any reliability issues, but I do intend to shoot it at some point in the near future and if there are issues of safety, I'd like to know that first. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I'm unaware of any specific issues regarding the G21gen2.
With any used Glock, it's a good idea to have a detail strip performed and all parts visually examined. There are also some function tests to be done regarding the slide lock, firing pin & its safety, drop safety, trigger bar/firing pin engagement, and trigger safety.

If any new parts are required, the parts available may be the latest design, but will be backwards compatible with your Gen2.

If the G21Gen2 is sent to Glock, Glock will "upgrade" all parts to the latest versions whether the old parts are needed or not. You won't get the old parts back. If you want the old parts, have someone else do the upgrades (or do them yourself).

·
Federal Member
30,476 Posts
XL: Nov 1991

Take it to the range and enjoy it.

You can't hurt a Glock.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you have a GSSF event close to you, they have armorers I sight to do any necessary repairs. The "upgrade" was initiated After an officer had an accidental discharge and he and the police armorer were able to replicate the problem. It's a very small chance that yours will ever have the issue as a large number of the older guns have never been updated and have had no problems. Glock collectors prefer unaltered guns (just like any collector), but if you intend to use the gun, there's no reason not to have it upgraded.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it to the range and enjoy it.
That's the way I'm leaning right now. Having read the story of the officer back in 1992 (if I recall correctly) who had that slamfire experience with a Glock 19 (also IIRC), I'll first try several reloads pointed downrange to make sure up front that that's not an issue. The gun I bought (with one 10-round mag and the original Tupperware case for $400 OTD, if anyone's curious) appears to have been used but not abused (I'd rate it at about 95%), so I find it hard to believe that, if there were any mechanical issues related to the parts that were eventually changed on later models, the parts wouldn't have been replaced already by the previous owner or owners in the last 25 years. And unless there was really something outright dangerous in the pistol as is, I'd hate to alter it in any way from the original.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I have two G-23 gen2s. both shoot and function fine. I did check the slide lock springs, and both of them are the thin one. I also have a gen2 G-17 and it has the new spring.
I have ordered two springs and will install them as soon as they get here.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have two G-23 gen2s. both shoot and function fine. I did check the slide lock springs, and both of them are the thin one. I also have a gen2 G-17 and it has the new spring.
I have ordered two springs and will install them as soon as they get here.
I assume your describing the single leaf spring for the slide stop tabs?

And if so, I agree with updating those to the larger new ones.

I' wouldn't hesitate to have Glock update anything on any Glock, because there is an obviously clear reason why they provide this service for FREE...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Check the ejector. If you see 4340 stamped on it, replace it...now. The ejector is part of the Trigger Mechanism Housing. You'll want the 8203 TMH and the ejector is stamped 8196. Consider the upgraded extractor. And if getting a new extractor you'll need the proper plunger, spring and bearing. Few things worse than an unreliable firearm!

·
Registered
Glock 48 9mm and Glock 21 45 apc
6 Posts
Hi sorry I'm new here and found this post but I have a 2nd gen 21 45apc with the stamp 4340.. so what I have to change the whole trigger to change that piece or looking for suggestions again I'm new here sorry
Netbook Hood Bumper Gadget Office equipment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts