Do I need to declare in IN if I am pulled over?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by kippjones, Aug 15, 2007.

1. kippjones

kippjones

If I am carrying with a PA permit, do I need to declare if pulled over and carrying concealed?

2. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

No sir. Although my personal advice (worth exactly what you paid for it) is to inform the officer as a common courtesy.

3. kippjones

kippjones

4. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I've had an Indiana gun permit since 1979,from my experience's I only tell them if I'm asked.;)

5. jmb79

jmb79

I would never tell a police officer that I am armed. My legal activities are not the business of any police officer. Also, I fail to see how revealing one's status as a legally armed citizen is a "common curtesy."

6. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Exactly!:thumbsup:

Because we don't like surprises. If I am told about the presence of a weapon I don't get nearly as hinked up as when I view it in the console or on a hip without being told about it.

7. HoosierShooter

HoosierShooter Copper Member

I see it as a courtesy to hand them my LCH along with my drivers license anytime an officer asks me for my drivers license when I have my weapon on me, but IN is not a have to tell state.

8. rhino465

rhino465

Only if your PA license requires it (you're bound by its restrictions as well as ours while using it in Indiana).

We have no such requirement under our law.

In my opinion, offering that information serves no useful purpose and can result in unnecessary problems.

9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

It is not required for Indiana residents to divulge that information.

But I don't want to make the officer nervous or put him (or her) in harms way. I always pull WAYYYYY out of traffic and let them know if I have a firearm. I have no data to go off of, but my gut tells me that an officer who has been volunatarily told I am armed and that I have a carry license will feel like they are dealing with an honest citizen (who was speeding...). Too many get shot or hit by other cars in routine traffic stops. They and their families know this.

Anything I can to to alleviate the stress or reality of those situations costs me nothing and makes their day easier.

I am guessing that by the time the officer approaches my car, they have already run my plates and seen that I have a license to carry (perhaps I am wrong?). If they see a license to carry, it is only safe to assume that I am armed. Having people tense and nervous who control my fate (ticket) probably doesn't help. Revealing it might not help either, but, again, it costs me nothing to make their day less stressful.

10. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

rhino has it.

I never volunteer the fact (unless the cop wants me to step from the car then I'd tell him), but will answer if he asks. Just be cool like Fonzi and the cop will pick up on your vibe.:)

Don't do this:

In my LEO daze 1997 or 1998 I had a guy who just got his carry license and then went out and bought a pistol (Smith M66). He'd never had a firearm before. Don't know why he waited, maybe he was just confused that you needed a license to buy.

He gets pulled over in downtown Lafayette for a turn signal. The cop car has a FTO and rookie cop who both approach.

The driver pulls out his little pink card and . . . wait for it . . . his Smith M66 and shows both to the nice officer. "Look, officer, I'm legal." The FTO starts ducking and weaving, the rookie officer is jumping up and down on the other side of the car trying to get his gun out.

Driver wonders what all the excitement is about and puts down pistol. Officers climb down from car and arrest driver for the entire criminal code and charges that they can think of to be added later.

We no filed the case, but told the driver's attorney to go get training and not to scare police.

Ken Campbell, Sheriff of Boone County, has a good story about a driver with a cigarette lighter shaped like a pistol.:rofl:

Don't be stupid and you should be fine. Be cool, like Fonzi.:thumbsup:

11. Scutter01

Scutter01

It is my considered opinion that it definitely depends on the situation. If my gun is in a position to possibly be seen (such as in the glove box where my papers might be, or concealed underneath a not-long-enough shirt, or when openly carrying), then I will definitely inform to avoid surprises for both me and the LEO. They have a hard enough job as it is without me contributing to their stress level. Otherwise, it's none of their business in the same way that the toolbox in my trunk is none of their business.

12. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

Exactly why I inform the officer whether mandatory or optional. I don't want to be seeing the wrong end of your G17.

Rhino and Kirk,

PA has no statutory requirement to notify.

13. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Couple weeks ago, my son was involved in an accident on one of the off-ramps of 465. I was at the range at the time, open carrying. I got to the site before ISP, and really didn't think anything about my visible pistol. The trooper gave me a bit of a funny look, but he also saw my Bailiff ID, and shrugged it off.

Now, before we did it, we DID tell him that we were going to transfer a rifle and range bags from my son's car to mine :shocked:

My opinion (+ .89 will get you a cup of coffee from Speedway;) but, depending upon how I perceive the nice officer, dictates whether or not I inform him I'm carrying.

Since the last time I was pulled over (for a headlight being out), I've since moved my registration from the glovebox to the visor so I don't have to stretch waaaay over to retrieve it.

My overall goal is to avoid doing anything worthy of being noticed by my local LEO. Although, I DO wave at oncoming {marked} cars when I see them. With my whole hand, even :tongueout:

14. rhino465

rhino465

"I have nothing illegal. Am I free to go?"

:supergrin:

15. Fenway

Fenway

Two weeks ago I was pulled over coming back from an event at IU on 37 around Greenwood. It was a couple of miles before you hit the construction before 465

It was around 1am.. no cars on the road.. and I was going about 10 MPH over. (and it just so happens this is the one time I didn't have my radar detector with me)

Anyway I pulled over. Turned my dome light on. Both hands on the wheel. The officer asked to see my license and registration. When I pulled out my license I also handed him my permit. The officer asked if I had a pistol in the glove box and I told him yes. He said ok let me see your registration.

The officer was very polite and professional. So was I. If I was carrying it maybe I would not have said anything but I knew there was a chance he would see it when I opened my glove box. If I was the officer I know I would appreciate the heads up.

The end result was a verbal warning.

16. toots shor

toots shor Amagi

i would say so because i don't want to be shot by the rookie on the other side of my car. lol. basically, hands on wheel i say i my drivers and handgun license is in my back right pocket and i am carrying a pistol on my right hip. that way they know i am retrieving the wallet and not the handgun.

17. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Yeah, Ken has a couple of pretty good stories about "guns gone wrong" :rofl: As an officer, I don't feel that you must tell me since as an officer, if I get stopped, I'm not going to say "hey i'm a licensed person carrying concealed" as some officers may take it the wrong way. I know this because I have to work with them. On the other hand if it is actually on my hip or in an area that will be revealed during the usual course of business in a traffic stop, I would tell him immediately.