Do i need an inspection on a new construction home?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wrx04, Feb 7, 2013.

1. davsco

davsco

my in laws bought a new house several years ago. after they settled (they did not us an inspector) i went thru the house with them. went up in the attic and something just didn't seem right. then i figured it out - there was ZERO insulation up there! fortunately their builder stepped up and fixed the issue.

so yes, for a couple of hundred bucks, get an inspector.

frankly, it is a great idea to periodically walk thru the house as it's being constructed. that's when you can see any problems that might later get covered up with drywall and paint. sure some builders take great pride in their work and sure some do it as cheap as possible.

2. GAFinch

GAFinch

Absolutely. I have a friend up in Atlanta who used to sell new homes in a neighborhood...he said the builder would find new ways every year or two to cut corners to squeeze out more profit. IMHO, an inspection is more valuable than a builder's warranty.

3. CaptCave

CaptCave

keep your money.

Find other homes in that area that your builder built. If he/they are being spec homes, try to find your "plan". Knock on the door and ask the homeowner if they would buy their house again. What problems they have had, how the builder handled their concerns, etc.

The building inspectors will find the majority of the structural issues. Most realtors don't know their buy from a paper clip and as such, will have you spend your walk thru putting tape on walls.

Be nice to the subs that come back to hit your list. Ask them about the builder, problems and such. You'll probably find one that will talk to you.

That and Caulk is a maintenance item.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Yes without a doubt. Been the sub on many projects and I wouldn't buy a house that I didn't have a good inspector (good being an actual inspector not the guy who took the 4 hour course on a Saturday)

5. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Yes. You might be surprised to find out where they cut corners.

To be blunt, even if they didn't cut corners and did everything correct while you watched them build...to not bother paying the $200 or possibly $500 on a house you're paying 5 or 6 figures for is a tad stupid. To me at least.

Just make sure to get an inspector that knows which way is up and actually does his job. My dad was selling a house, he met the buyers inspector at the house and the guy didn't even bother to get out of his car and said it looked good.

6. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I have been a lender for almost 20 years, bought and sold many homes as well. I always hire an inspector, your laws may vary but here it is just common sense.

Hire a good one.

Alos: what kind of loan are you doing? Some of the federal loan programs require warranty/certification of certain items in a much longer term than standard builder warranty.

7. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Yes! Its a minimal cost that could save many headaches later on. Wish I had gotten two inspectors on this home...one missed thing could lead to $$$$

8. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Code and a quality build are two entirely different things.

9. wrx04

wrx04

Is there a good way to determine build quality without going full custom? The house we are about to buy was built by a fairly new company (2010). The upgrades are nice.....granite, custom cabinets, quality tile/carpet, insulated basement, saw-cut basement floors, etc.... But how can i tell if the build quality is good?

10. Trapped_in_Kali

Trapped_in_Kali

I've been an electrician for over 25 years and I've seen things inspectors have passed that scared the hell out of me.
    Call the city/county inspector(s) and ask them "You inspected this property, do you guaranty it's safe?" once they stop laughing they will hang up on you. Try it again with "You inspected this property, do you guaranty it's quality work?"
    I've seen work so bad the inspector must have just thrown up his hands and pointed out the most obvious things and told the electrician "At least fix that!"
    You also have times when the inspector is sick or on vacation and another type of inspector covers for them (plumbing inspector inspecting framing) and who knows what that guy knows.
    All the city/county inspection tells you is that what he looked at fit his understanding of the code.
    I like the idea of talking to other homeowners.
    The #1 job of inspectors is to justify the permit fees.

I just want to add that I have dealt with inspectors that are great and really know their stuff, it is just that some are terrible.

11. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

As other have stated find other houses that builder has done. Talk to the sub contractors if they will talk to you many times they will tell you if they would buy one or not.

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

Those were all upgrades in the 90's. There not upgrades anymore.

/

13. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    our last home (new construction built in 2005) we added a sun room onto the back of the house. When we pulled the siding off the home to "tie in" the sun room there was a 2 foot x 3 foot section of plywood that was missing from the exterior wall...

the hole was covers by tyvek and then sided over. That area of kitchen always had a draft.

My neighbor across the street had all sorts of issues with their home. The builder put a couple bandaids fixes over problems that just delayed issues. When their year was up on the warranty the builder said he was done and the warranty was over. my neighbor sued and lost because he "fixed the problems"

fast forward a few months and a big sign showed up on their property
    "Looking to buy a new home here? Ring my doorbell and let us show you the quality of construction"

The builder was still building homes (still building in the development now too) and eventually fixed their issues to get them to agree to remove the sign

14. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

ive owned a few homes , still do and rent some out . now .... if i was buying a brand new built house and the builder disagreed with me bringing in my own independent inspector i would tell them to $^%&^&*&** . and go elsewhere / YMMV

15. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

I used to be a construction manager (superintendent) for a large builder in Houston. Just because the house built by the same builder down the street had a certain sub last week doesn't mean that same crew is going to work on your house. Or maybe he was sober last week and drunk this week. I would want the very house I'm buying to have a 3rd party inspector. City/county inspectors just try to make sure the thing won't collapse on you or burst into flames in the next few months. That has nothing to do with construction quality, or catching stupid errors. Some people pay that much to have used cars inspected, so yeah, protect yourself.

16. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Absolutely, and make sure you check references and get the best inspector money can buy. I had friends in teh DC area that bought a brand new TH without an inspection. I walked in 6 months later and immediately noticed the kitchen cabinets wewre not hung properly or square. Specifically they were off by 4 inches at one corner! Also looked in their under the stairs storage area and it was obvious the studes in the interior walls were off center and anywhere between 12" to 24" between each stud.

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

You need to get warranties.

Anything that goes belly up soon after the sale would probably be covered, but if you would feel better getting an inspector, go for it.

The double talk from your builder/seller about not wanting someone in the home due to material being on site is hogwash. Makes me suspicious right off the bat.

I had a remodeling business and welcomed both the homeowners, and prospective clients to come look over our shoulders from start to finish during the entire process.

The city inspectors had a certain benchmark set of requirements to sign off on the construction progressing towards a C-O. Some city inspectors were good, and some were not so good. Since Hurricane Andrew change the building code here in Florida, gone are the days of the "drive by" inspections.

18. lvl1trauma

lvl1trauma

If you are getting pushback from the builder on a home inspection then that is a huge red flag. I hope you don't go thru with the deal if he doesn't let you get at least one home inspection. I have been known to get two.

19. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

Having bought a new construction house in 2006 I would say do it. An engineer can tell if all the items required were put in correctly. Such as hold down straps.

Another thing, last year I got a call from the town and they informed me that one of my permits was not closed. I had the CO but they were vague on that. I got the original builder to take responsibilty for the sub that didn't close the permit by inspection from a town inspector.

I'd get the permits to see if they are all closed. Town inspectors have been known to slack off and do 'drive-by' inspections at the local bar.:whistling:

20. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

You can't, other than superficially. The only way to really tell is to periodically check as the house is being built. Is the foundation square? Is the framing straight and plumb? Are the proper number of fasteners being used? Was house wrap installed? On and on. Some of the nicest looking new homes around here are just plain crap.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013