close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do away with the classes??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TJC, Dec 19, 2002.

1. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

To solve some, maybe all the problems of 3 wins, Share the Wealth, Matchmeister, cry babies etc, what about doing away with the classes all together?

Everyone shoots in the same class with whatever STOCK ONLY Glock that they choose. Let the chips fall where they may. Still using the Lewis system, Glock could award all the pistols at equal intervals all the way down the line. They may even change the payout schedule but there would be greater chances for some to "win" a pistol if all the guns were in the same class.
    If you practice hard and dedicate yourself to the sport, you will come out on top. If not, you have a great chance of "winning" in the Lewis system.

Certainly would be simple. Especially for the GSSF staff. They would not have to worry about classifications in GSSF or any other sport. You show up with a STOCK ONLY Glock and shoot. Scores tell the story.

Just a provoking thought to ponder during this holiday season. ;)

2. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

That would be fine with me! But i'm sure GSSF would think "Loss of income!!!!!"

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Works for me, but then everybody knows I have no "class". ;)

4. MFinch

MFinch Guest

5. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

WHAT!!!!!!! No "JERK" behind the trigger class???????;Q ;f
    Dan:cool:

6. THE VOID

THE VOID

I am a middle of "A" class amateur. Still trying to be a top ten shooter. I like it the way it is. We have StockMeister for this.

Dayton

7. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Since this is just opinions only, I agree with the void. I hope I am near to winning a gun & if this all changed, I would have to beat all these great shooters that have been shooting for years before I could win one. I really think it would hurt everyone that normally winds up in A class, at least the ones near the top of A. It seems there are a bunch of guys that graduate to master that just disappear & don't shoot anymore GSSF matches, that kind of tells us you masters are the champs. :) If the graduates didn't quit, I think the master class would have 3 times as many shooters as it does, at which point that would throw folks like me down to B, then maybe I could take home a certificate but until that happens, I vote against. Of course, you know what they say about opinions. ;) MLM

8. doylelon

doylelon

I guess I haven't figured it out yet...

The break for A,B,C classes is determined by a 1/3rd division of the number of competitors. Correct? Then the reality is that the gun winners are strickly determined by chance, not skill necessarily.

I'm a 'C' class shooter EVERYWHERE, middle MM in both IDPA & IPSC. In GSSF (Richmond,VA.) in April, I finished in the middle of C. I think that's where I belong. Yet in May @ Waldorf, MD. it was rainy, cold and nasty weather, poor conditions, and the number of shooters was way down, so I finished LAST in the 'A' group.

I was both thrilled, yet very disappointed. One spot lower and I'm the #1 'B' shooter and win a gun. So if a few more folks were registered and shot, the luck of the numbers game might have moved me one place down, without my shooting score ever changing.

So help me folks, except for going for the #1 'A' spot, it's all really the luck of the draw.

Happy Holidays.

9. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

That's why it called Glock Lotto!!!;Q;f ;a ;f
    Dan:cool:

10. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

I believe Glock set out to come up with a match where there was a place for all of the different models to compete. Now, if you do away with the classes, the G17 will be about the only gun to use. It has the least amount of recoil, with what is probably the best grip for the largest number of people.

Don't bother telling me of all the exceptions to my statement. I have won guns at GSSF using a stock G23. But, I believe the majority of A1 wins would be with the large frame 9mm.

Where does that leave the guy who just bought his mini-glock?

Leave the system alone. You will get whiners no matter what you do. By changing the rules/classes/whatever constantly, you will likely turn off more shooters than you will gain.

11. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I tend to believe that the way it is currently set up is best. I shoot better than all of my coworkers and the majority of my local club. I consistently place middle "A" in my GSSF outings. I have yet to break 100 (101 though I am getting there.) I do not have the facilities to practice the GSSF course of fire and must do the best I can with what I have. At some point I will win a certificate. This sport is not the only one I devote my shooting time to. The majority of shooters that GLOCK is looking to recruit into the "GLOCK Owners Club" will fit into the current system best.

In my opinion this is the best option out there as it curently organized, to get the "new" shooter to the match. From there they might go on to bigger and better things. I am amazed that there have been few to no competition by the other major handgun manufacturers.

The really good GSSF shooters are penalized but the vast majority are not and as a corporate concern, GLOCK is interested in the numbers not the elite.

12. GJM89

GJM89

Jakk, I believe that Glock actually set up the GSSF so that people with every level of skill could come to a match and feel comfortable shooting.This being the first time gun owner up to the Master class shooters.And to mine minds eye, it seems to be working pretty good as is.

13. Noah Gladstone

Noah Gladstone

No classes all stock guns what would I do with the race glock that took all that time and effort to build? If I could only shoot once I would not travel the way I do now.

14. Fireglock

Noah, we'd still need Unlimited! ;f We have to have someplace to shoot the fun guns!

15. GJM89

GJM89

Especially since I picked up a second Carver Baby Blue Mount, right Jerry.;f ;f ;f

16. Fireglock

Indeed, two is always better than one, at least with Carver Mounts! ;f