close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Do any of you know Lynchburg, VA?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by teumessian_fox, Mar 8, 2012.

1. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

My wife and I are tentatively thinking about Lynchburg after I graduate.

What are VA gun laws? Shall issue? Assault rifles? Can I take my Glock 19 w/15 round mag? Can I take the rest of my gun collection?

Oh, and what about the area? Liberal? Conservative?

Geography? Pretty?

Housing prices, etc.

thanx

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

You will love VA. VA has Northern VA close to DC. I hate to say DC values, but.....

Bring your G19 and all the 15 RD mags you can find. As for your gun collection, it will be welcome. I am about 50 miles S of L'burg.

Housing is moderate, taxes reasonable. It is a lovely part of VA.

3. heliguy

heliguy

Lynchburg is very conservative. The town is anchored by Liberty University, a very religous area anchored by Jerry Falwell. The spend a lot of resources on debating evolution vs Creationism on a national level.

So, crime is low, cost of living good, but it's a very religous community if that is a criteria in your decision....

4. Reswob

Reswob

Uhh, not particularly....

5. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Do not exceed the speed limit on Route 29.
    It's 65 mph in some places, and drops to 55 or even 445 in some places.
    Sometimes it's easy to forget that 29 is not an Interstate..

It's heavily patrolled and they will ticket you.

6. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

You can get assault rifles at any 7-11, just as long as you have 300 bucks or so for the good ones like the Bushmaster M4's. You're required to crack a few rounds off out the car window when crossing the state lines so we know you're here. Everything is legal except low capacity mags, you can't have anything unless it holds at LEAST 20 armor piercing rounds. I think they repealed the law about minimum 20 guns per household cause it was too hard on the poorer folks but I think they still have a fine if you don't keep at least 1000 rounds of ammo per gun.

Drills are still in the public park at noon on saturdays. BE.ON.TIME.

7. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Open carry is legal (without carry a permit if I am not mistaken).
    It's legal to carry loaded in the trunk of your car with no carry permit.

8. maslin

maslin

Open carry requires no permit, and is pretty accepted.

It's legal to carry loaded on your front seat. As long as it's not "concealed" it's legal to have a gun anywhere you want.

9. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

I wondered about that. According to demographic stats, 20% of Lynchburg residents are below the poverty level. How is that possible?

10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Poor but honest God-fearing folks living the good life without much money.

Don't conceal a dirk, dagger, or bowie knife.
    Don't bring a Street-Sweeper.

Open carry of handguns, and concealed carry with Concealed Handgun Permit, is fine. Carrying a loaded shotgun or rifle may be a problem, depending on location.

11. frank4570

frank4570

My friends who lived in Lynchburg were not religious/morally conservative, and they did NOT like living there.

12. Resqu2

Resqu2

We are a shall issue state, permit is very easy to get, you can even take an online gun class and print the cert to turn in at the court house, takes up to 45 days.

13. Detectorist

Detectorist

I've been there a few times. Love the history. However, jobs are scarce in that town.

14. Reswob

Reswob

Probably because at least 20% of the residents of the "downtown" area are welfare moochers or gangbangers? There are some nice parts (and some REALLY nice parts - not sure if they're in the city limits though), but like any city a lot of it is the 'bad side of town'.

15. Model19

Model19 Typical GnG

I moved right outside of Lynchburg (Forest) from Atlanta, GA. It was like going back in time about 15 years. I think they had one murder last year. The Blue Ridge mountains are a great backdrop.

Edit: Some of the most wonderful people that I have ever met live here.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  16. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

I was stationed at Ft Myer, VA, in Arlington, VA. It was always a bit of culture shock to get even twenty or thirty miles away from DC, into VA and see how people changed. Everything got more relaxed and less pretentious. It's a great state. Eric

17. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Gun laws - good to great (There's a reason Mayor Bloomberg is always demonizing VA) The VCDL is very active. Bring the guns.

Leans conservative (2008-McCain 51.6% Obama 47.6%)

Pretty? Mountains, Shenandoah Valley, some of the coast - yes, beautiful. The middle is the middle.

Cost of living? One of the lowest you'll find. The Commonwealth is fond of its taxes and fees, however.

Like much of the US, I would consider this area economically depressed. That might affect your decision if you don't already have a job lined up.

I worked there and lived near there awhile back. Spent a lot of time in Lynchburg. Nobody ever thumped me, although I might have been better for it if they had. I enjoyed living in that part of Virginia, a lot of good people. Its relatively convenient to both the mountains and the coast (NOVA, too, if it interests you). Lots of history. Lots of outdoor activities. Moved away chasing a better job. I still go back regularly to visit friends I made during my time there.

Lynchburg is a typical southeastern American city. A city of 75,000 people. There are some churches and there are some schools.

There are a whole lot of those 75,000 folks who have nothing to do with Jerry Falwell. The man is dead, by the way. There is more to Lynchburg and the surrounding area than Falwell and his church. Of course, if you are of the currently in vogue persuasion as to go poke those people with a stick and look for a fight, you shouldn't be surprised to find one there.

18. SavageDragon

SavageDragon

I go up there a couple times a year and I really like it. Our home office is there and all the employees I know are conservative. If you end up there, never let anyone talk you into eating a Texas burger at the T Room.

19. 4GLOCKER

4GLOCKER

I'm west of Lynchburg, in the beautiful Roanoke valley. We have about 250,000 people in the valley. It's a good place to live, good schools, affordable housing and a star on top of Mill Mountain (within the city).

As for carrying a gun in your car, you can now have a pistol in your car concealed in glove box w/o a permit. But, why not go ahead and get your CHP anyway.