Do any of the Constitutional Carry states have "must inform" law?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by cowboy1964, Mar 3, 2017.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Just curious. If I have time later I'll research this but if anyone knows please post. I'm guessing that most, if not all, do not.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Arizona requires a truthful answer if asked about weapons (misdemeanor to lie), but there's no requirement to volunteer.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

4. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

IIRC Maine requires notifying an officer if stopped but if you have a carry permit there is no duty to inform.Basically the Maine carry permit gives you a few more "perks" that the non carry permit crowd do not have such as the ability to carry in state parks and the ability to keep a firearm in your vehicle at work so long as it is locked securely.

5. Fern19

Fern19

In Ohio you must inform you are carrying

6. BillG174

BillG174

Kansas is Constitutional Carry and you do not have to inform the LEO.

7. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Texas: We've always had "must disclose" to LEO when asked for any form of ID. A few years ago, however, while the must inform has remained written into the law, the penalty for failing to inform (used to be that they could suspend or revoke) has been removed from it as well as the type of charge (class a, b, or c misdemeanor). I believe it might have something to do with the Motorist Protection Act, however. Under the MPA, anyone who is not barred from possessing or owning a handgun is legally allowed to carry it in their vehicles, as long as its concealed, license or not. They are also allowed to have it fully loaded and chambered, whereas they used to want it unloaded or separated from the magazine. The MPA recognizes a person's vehicle as an extension of their home. From that, I think, all LEOs will ask "do you have any weapons in the vehicle", thus prompting you to have to answer.

Before the MPA, if you had a gun in your car, you had to be "travelling" which was defined as traveling a certain amount of distance or crossing county lines.... OR... you had to be going directly to or directly from a place that your gun would be used or stored. i.e. range... or moving, or just bought it, or picking it up from a friend or getting it repaired. you were not able to always have it with you unless you were licensed to carry.

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

9. Nunya Business

Nunya Business

Ohio doesn't have Constitutional carry

10. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Missouri is the same.