Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if any of the after market barrel mfgs use exact GLOCK specs for the locking area. Not talking about poly rifling vs land and groove, just the breach side of the barrel.

I'm not running a CCF frame but they explain the issue here:
http://www.ccfraceframes.com/faq-barrels.html

I know Lone Wolf changes the specs for the sake of accuracy, from their website:
"Oversized lock-up area produces greater shot-to-shot accuracy."

I am concerned with combat reliability, not match accuracy, so I was wondering if any of the aftermarket barrels use GLOCK specs for the locking lugs?

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:) My suggestion would be not to fixate too much on what CCF has to say. I own and have, myself, fitted, 'premium drop-in' aftermarket barrels on both of my Glock Model 21's.

After doing this on several different weapons over the past 35 years I can, pretty much, assure you that no, 'drop-in' barrel is truly or completely drop-in! Years ago I used to sit next to Austin Behlert or Art Leckie while they fitted my, 'drop-in' Bar-Sto barrels for me.

Today, I do the work myself with a set of flat very fine through medium grit diamond knife sharpeners. Ya got 'a use your head - Period! First you do the hand-fitting checks. If you discover an area of impingement, mark it with either soot or lipstick, refit the parts together again, and work on the problem areas.

Many times a simple visual check will do it for you! Ya got 'a push; ya got 'a shove a little to determine how things should be going together. Most often, 'premium drop-in' barrels only require fitting at the back of the barrel hood. On rare occasions one of the feet or locking lugs, also, needs to be fitted.

Know what, new metal will show scratches whereever contact is made between the different parts. When I'm fitting a barrel I'll fire it a few times and, then, check for contact marks. If I notice anything significant AND where it should not be, I'll file it down before polishing the area up with my Dremel Tool.

Right now, I've got 12 to 18,000 rounds through each of my G-21's; and, I haven't had a jam in years. (That wasn't directly related to a magazine issue.) My Bar-Sto barreled Glock pistols run, 'like a Rolex'!

In my opinion CCF should look to their own frames and some of the peculiar problems I've been reading about before pointing the finger of blame at someone else's product(s). If you do the initial barrel installation properly there won't be a problem!

As I said: No aftermarked Glock barrel is truly a, 'drop-in'; something, somewhere, is going to take a few minutes to put together. Perhaps a more correct expression would be, 'semi drop-in'; and, with Lone Wolf barrels you can have an additional problem with a very tight chamber.

Although I could keep a barrel like this up and running in the field, a tight chamber is something I wouldn't normally attempt to repair at my loading bench; and, to their credit, Lone Wolf is very good about opening up any problem chamber that's reported to them.

'Exact Glock specifications' is, kind of, a laugh! What do you think you're dealing with - an expensive Kimber 45? Polymer framed Glocks are, 'loose as a goose' for good reason - They need to operate!

My further suggestion would be that if you don't have a necessary and specific reason for using an aftermarket barrel, then, don't bother buying one. The money could be better spent on other things like a: Lone Wolf 4.5# connnector, a Lone Wolf trigger stop, and Wolff Gunsprings and a Wolff steel guide rod. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am not talking about a barrel that doesn't need to be fitted. I have a file set and I'll use it if need be. If you look at the pictures provided by CCF you will see the dimensions are just plain different. Its not an opinion and no amount of filling will change that. Please look at the pictures to see what I mean. I want a barrel that doesn't change these dimensions. I want it to be as close to what it was designed to be, I'm not really concerned with what CCF says on the issue. I'm just using their pictures to illustrate the point.

·
2,951 Posts
I'm not gunsmith or expert, but I'll agree with ArcAngel... If your not shooting lead or have a need for an aftermarket bbl for some other reason, I'd stick with Glock OEM barrels. As far as I know, only Glock makes barrels to "Glock specs."

my .02

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
I am not talking about a barrel that doesn't need to be fitted. I have a file set and I'll use it if need be. If you look at the pictures provided by CCF you will see the dimensions are just plain different. Its not an opinion and no amount of filling will change that. Please look at the pictures to see what I mean. I want a barrel that doesn't change these dimensions. I want it to be as close to what it was designed to be, I'm not really concerned with what CCF says on the issue. I'm just using their pictures to illustrate the point.
:) Guess I wasn't clear. I already know what you mean. These changes in dimensions are there to improve lockup and accuracy. They're, also, there to allow for a certain amount of custom fitting. The different dimensions aren't said not to work in a standard Glock frame; the insinuation is that these dimensional differences will not work in a CCF metal frame - Understand?

They should, however, work better with a polymer frame Glock than with a metal CCF frame; and, it appears to me that THIS is what CCF is really complaining about. So contact the manufacturer of this, 'precision drop-in barrel' and have them build one to fit CCF specs. There, wasn't that simple! ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not looking for improvements in lock up since that is subjective to what your goals are. My goals are the longevity and reliabilty that have been tested with GLOCK barrels using GLOCK specs.

I am looking to get barrels made in legnths and calibers that GLOCK does not offer without these changes to the locking area.

There is nothing wrong with the changes to the locking lugs for some, but they do not meet my personal needs. I am not really looking for a debate on what *I* would like.

I am simply asking if anyone makes a barrel like this.

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:shocked: Where did the, 'debate thing' come from? Are we having a bad day! Sorry I took the time to reply; initially, I thought I might be helpful. You can take your thread back now. I'm out 'a here.

:wavey:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not trying to insult, it just seemed like you were trying to convince me I don't really need what I'd like.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
i think any aftermarket barrel will serve you well if you get the chamber recut to glock specs. i've used about every aftermarket barrel there is for glocks. never heard of needing a file to fit a barrel, maybe that's the way it's suppose to be done but i never heard of it. wouldn't it be hard to sue anything but glock specs since the barrel has to mate to a glock made frame and slide?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe a better question would be, has anyone actually measued their after market barrel next to a GLOCK OEM and found them to be the same?

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
only had a couple to measure and they're not the same as factory but since you said you have a file it wouldn't be any trick at all for you to bring it to a glock spec, the difference was .008". i don't think the difference would make any difference in reliability. i don't really remember now but i'm thinking the last Bo-Mar barrel i fit for a glock was .010" over sized and didn't take any real effort to make it fit. get the chamber finished reamed to glock spec and it would be as good as any barrel as far as reliability is concerned.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Arc answered your question. No aftermarket barrels are completely drop in. Glock barrels are drop in. All aftermarket barrels assume you want better accuracy so they are made to be a little tighter than the factory. The only way to do that is to change the dimensions of the barrel. It is not hard to fit a barrel. If you want different lengths and calibers you will have to work on them to get them to be Glock dimensions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts