Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my grandfathers WWII Ithaca 1911 out to the range. I've shot it before and I love the gun but something I notice...I'm not sure if it's because the recoil knocks me off center a little or what but it seems like the slide takes a tiny bit longer to rack and return to battery than my other pistols. Is this true or is it just my perception?

Could it mean something's wearing out?

Thanks!!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
251 Posts
Slide is heavier. Could also need some new springs depending on when they were last changed out.

As long as it cycles I wouldn't worry about it to much.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slide is heavier. Could also need some new springs depending on when they were last changed out.

As long as it cycles I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Springs are from WWII I'm 99% sure. No wearing that I can tell though.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
either way it's still lightening quick cycling.
See I'm not so sure. With the Glock, I can fire a few shots rapidly. I feel like when I try to fire fast, it's just a hair slower than the Glock.

I'm shooting WWB btw.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

·
Amerikaner
8,858 Posts
not slower..........................just better :supergrin:

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
I think one thing is certain, that with properly functioning specimens of a 1911or a Glock, either one can cycle far faster than you can pull the trigger so it is somewhat academic. Don

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think what I'll try next time is firing a mag as fast as I can while aiming at a torso-sized target.

However, if the springs need to be replaced and they are NOT broken...does the cycling slow down or do they go from normal to snapped?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
woo woo
31,180 Posts
Depends on what glock vs what 1911.
The 1911 .45 has an estimated cyclic of 1200rpm and the 9mm Glock 18 is 1300rpm.

Both are faster than just about anyone's trigger finger.
Of course, the revolver would be even faster since it's a mech repeater.

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
Of course, the revolver would be even faster since it's a mech repeater.
That made me go back and watch the Jerry Miculek video again where some guy on the History channel is talking about how awesome he is.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
how fast you can shoot it vs true mechanical speed are to diff things. Ever see the video of Jerry Mculick(sp) bump fire his S&W 1911 on the History Channel?

That was sweet!!!!! I have that on my DVR. Id like to learn how to do that with my 1911, but it is kind of a waste of ammo when .45 is like $.50 a round these days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts