close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DNS Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, Feb 4, 2005.

1. mfackler

mfackler

I feel foolish asking this question but I have never goten this through my head so here goes.

I have a domain name registered to me (facklers.net) I am soon to have a static IP address assigned to me by my DSL provider. I have already been given the Ips to there DNS server that I will need tom enter. I am using IPCop as my router/firewall. My question, once I get my IP how do I link it with my domain name?

Below is the relivent instructions for my IPCop. Do I simply make the changes nessary to use the static IP then enter my real domain name (currently using the defult “localdomain”)? Will it then propagate to the DNS server? What about local access? Does that change anything?

All clients on the net now use IPCop as the DNS server. I assume IPCop then uses a real one (the ones I will be assigning once I get my static IP).
    This all seems kind of confusing to me. Maybe I should be asking better questions about DNS….
    Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks Mike

####################################################################

IPCop Manual

You must then configure your IPCop machine's hostname.
    The default of “ipcop” is fine. You may want to change this if you are planning on setting up a VPN and allowing administration across your VPN. In this case you may want to give each IPCop machine a unique hostname, such as “ipcop1”, “ipcop2”, “millie”, “steve”, “bob”, etc.

You must then configure your IPCop machine's domain name.
    If you have a domain name then enter it here. If you do not have one or do not wish to use it then just accept the default “localdomain”. If you plan on using a VPN, you may wish to add additional qualifiers in front of “localdomain” such as “x.localdomain” and “y.localdomain”.
    It may also be a bad idea to use your real domain name for this purpose, unless you will use your official name server instead of IPCop's domain name server.
    This domain name will be automatically set as IPCop's DHCP server's “domain name suffix”. Please see the DHCP server discussion.

2. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

are you going to be hosting you own website behind the IPcop?

The way it is now is godaddy.com is pointing your domain name to its own servers.

if you are going to host your own website, which i assume you are if you requested a static ip you need to set ipcop to port forward port 80 to your webserver and have the DNS servers point to your static ip. Do you know who is going to host your DNS for you? Your ISP maybe?

3. mfackler

mfackler

Well there you did it grantglock you asked the question better then I did :) I don't know who will be hosting my DNS. Guess what I am really asking is what are my choices? And how do I find someone to host my DNS? Is it included w/ my isp? (earthlink) or is it included with my domain name? (registered through Get Registered Online .com)

4. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

I have never done this as I have my own DNS servers but there are some sites that offer free DNS hosting
    http://freedns.afraid.org/

I don't think godaddy offers free dns service but I could be wrong.

5. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Some domain Registres do offer DNS services.

I am currently using Lane Change self serve DNS service - very happy (8 bucks a year)

6. mfackler

mfackler

LaneChange looks like what I'm after. Thanks a million guys. BTW I was able to look at lane change's DNS self server DNS for free. How are they for domain management? Looks like it may be worth transferring my domain all together.

Glock Talk is the greatest.

Thanks again

Mike

7. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

That is what I did. Lane change offered up a special if I moved my domains to them - timely notification of possible issues - and quick easy renewals with reminders via email.

I have yeat to have any issues to date started using late 2001 or 2002.

C