close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DNS name resolution problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Furant, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I'm trying to help my cousin with a problem she's having with her computer. She cannot access a specific website to get her kids' school assignment (http://www.stfrancis2055.com). I can access that site from my computer via name resolution with no problem.

If I ping that address from her machine, it resolves to 209.26.129.67. From my machine, it seems to resolve to 64.239.29.139. However, if I enter either one of those addresses into my web browser, it fails to connect (or points me to a separate site altogether). A few weeks ago, my home computer resolved the address to 65.112.149.212 and that worked fine from a browser window. Obviously that lease expired and it no longer works.

She's using Earthlink in South Florida and is using DHCP and retrieving DNS Server list automatically. Ipconfig shows her Default Gateway, DHCP Server and DNS Server set to 192.168.1.1 (that seemed pretty odd to me, to say the least, but it seems to work for the other internet sites).

Is this a DNS entry issue? Is there something wrong with her computer configuration? Windows XP SP2 Firewall is enabled, but no sites are restricted. There is no loopback for this address in her hosts file. What else should I check?

Joey

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Just a wild guess, but it looks like www.stfrancis2055.com resolves to an ip address of a hosting service that uses HTTP "Host" field to redirect the request to an appropriate area (to get the right files). It then responds as if "www.stfrancis2055.com" responded. That way you can use one IP address and host multiple websites. They may also be using dynamic DNS, so their IP address may appear different from time to time.

Why this is not working on your friend's computer, I am not sure.

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Looks like they are using DDNS.

try ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt on the machine with the problem.

Having a primary DNS server set to a local host is odd, to say the least. Earthlink... Dialup? Is there some connection sharing going on? You might try hand entering the primary DNS as 4.2.2.1.

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Thanks guys. Havoc, I'll try your recommendation as soon as I can (I'm remotely managing her system using LogMeIn). There is no connection sharing. She has DSL with no router. Her computer is connected directly to the DSL modem which is directly connected to the line.

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Havoc,

You da man. 4.2.2.1 worked. I guess I never realized that any ISP could connect to any DNS Server. Where can I find a list of the IP Addresses of various DNS Servers? I would guess that you'd want to find one that was close to you for latency's sake.

In any case, have a ;c on me.

Joey

6. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

You can't neccessarily connect to any arbitrary name server. 4.2.2.1 happens to be one that allows pretty much anyone to use it. As I understand it, most ISPs limit name queries to their downstream network in general. I don't have a list of public servers, I just happen to know that one, and I got it from an IT guy when I was in a situation similar to yours

7. berniew

berniew Liberty

http://www.winxpcentral.com/troubleshooting/comcast1.php