DNR handgun article

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by FThorn, Jul 18, 2007.

1. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

IN: Handguns still allowed on DNR properties

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=6806780
    Handguns still allowed on DNR properties

July 18, 2007 01:15 PM

Angola - Gun owners would still be permitted to carry licensed handguns onto Department of Natural Resources land, a state panel has ruled.

Handguns were permitted on all DNR properties under the rule that then-DNR Director Kyle Hupfer made effective in September 2006.

The Indiana Natural Resources Commission on Tuesday approved the regulation that still must be reviewed by the state attorney general and approved by Gov. Mitch Daniels.

Among 400 responses from the public on the rule, those supporting allowing guns in state parks outnumbered those against by a ratio of 3-to-1, the DNR said.

"The DNR points out that individuals opposed to the carrying of handguns in state parks interact, without incident, every day with individuals legally in possession of handguns in public places such as restaurants, grocery stores and shopping malls," the DNR wrote in recommending the change.

The rule applies to hunters who were barred from bringing handguns when hunting opossum, raccoon and wild turkey. Previously, handguns were only allowed on some state grounds, even then with a special hunting permit. In most cases, guns were required to be secured in a vehicle or locked case.

Shotguns, rifles, archery equipment and any firearm other than validly licensed handguns must still be locked inside vehicles on DNR properties.

Contact WTHR
    [email protected]

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Quote of the year....

"The DNR points out that individuals opposed to the carrying of handguns in state parks interact, without incident, every day with individuals legally in possession of handguns in public places such as restaurants, grocery stores and shopping malls," the DNR wrote in recommending the change.

3. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

Yeah, but parks are different! No doubt I am magically transformed into a loon when I enter state property.:animlol:

4. epsylum

epsylum Guest

No no no. Criminals magically drop their guns when they cross into state property. Thus no need for the law change.

;)

5. rhino465

rhino465

You would have been apoplectic at the NRC public meeting at Spring Mill Park. The one guy who opposed the removing the regulation that prohibits gun in state parks was a real winner. He identified himself as someone who was formerly the adminstrator of all of the state parks. Then he read a prepared statement that brought condescension and intellectual dishonesty to new heights. He implied exactly what you sarcastically state above.

He also falsely claimed that all of the state parks are "safe," and that people don't "need" guns. He went on to say that if the parks are so dangerous that people need to carry guns that the parks should be closed. He also falsely asserted that his position was essentially universally supported by law enforcement officers.

In short, he was a ******bag. Par for the course.

The interesting thing was that he beat feet and scrammed immediately after the "mingling" portion of the meeting started. I'm guessing he incorrectly believed that we would abuse him the same way his people would abuse one of us if the numbers were reversed.

We (as a group of mostly strangers) were polite and respectful toward him and allowed him to speak without interruption. Well, I scoffed aloud a couple of times and I rolled my eyes so hard I think I pulled a muscle, but other than that I was polite. :supergrin:

6. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Well...we all have to suffer for our manners now and then. He probably scurried back home and crawled under his rock.

7. rhino465

rhino465

The Indianapolis Star editorial in the other topic reads very much like the prepared statement read by former parks administrator/superintendant/whatever ******bag. Maybe they're sharing the same defective brain.

8. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Snowman, now when have you suffered for your manners (or lack thereof)??? :rofl: :banana: :tongueout:

9. boby

boby

How come DNR websites for individual parks still say handguns are not allowed? The pamphlet they hand out at Ft. Harrison state park also has the old no handgun rule.

10. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Because we all know how efficient government is.

11. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

12. boby

boby

Interesting. I was going to carry while hiking the other day but that scared me out of doing it. Has anyone had problems open carrying? If I'm going hiking and getting all sweaty I defiantly don't want to go IWB.

13. Pitmaster

Pitmaster

I would suggest that more letters, emails, and comments be sent. If the anti-gunners see this ratio disparity they could start a grass roots campaign in opposition. If anyone knows of a link to the specific regulation some could write the governor's office in support of allowing guns in the state parks. We should get this up to 6+-to-1 and show overwhelming support.

14. rhino465

rhino465

For hiking and similar activities, you could get something like the Wilderness Safepacker, which is essentially a belt pouch for your pistol or maybe a holster with a protective cover. They offer great protection and retention for your sidearm, and they are discreet.

15. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

I use pocket carry or smartcarry.

16. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

rhino, screw discreet, I'm wearing my proudly in the open!:banana:

17. rhino465

rhino465

That sort of raises the question about retention and protection of your weapon while hiking. I'm thinking Glocks have another good application ... trail guns. Light, reliable, nearly indestructible.

Will you carry in a regular open-topped belt holster? IWB? Thumb snap?

I'm thinking one of the carry-type holsters with active retention locks like the Blackhawk SERPA and similar products from Bianchi, Galco, and DeSantis would be good choices.

18. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

I like Milt Sparks. I usually wear a #60TK, but have a #55BN and an old Road Runner from Milt.

I can do a forward or backward roll in any of those holsters and the weapon stays put.

19. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

I'd like to see that! :)

20. boby

boby

Have you had any problems with other people?