close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DLink DSS 5+ Switch

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mfackler

mfackler

Anyone have problems with a DLink DSS 5+ switch? I got a new DLink AP. My old Linksys had an on board 5 port switch this one does not. I put a new DSS 5+ switch in line just before it. Everything seems to work great but it seems like when my DHCP lease is up the switch won't allow it to pass (DHCP is on another box). Once I unplug the switch and plug it back in the lease flies right through. Haven't had lots of time to trouble shoot this yet but thats what it looks like. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

2. mfackler

mfackler

Let me ask another way. Is it possable for an unmanaged switch to hang up like that or do I need to be looking at something else? I settled on the switch because it seemed to do the same thing if I used the Cat5.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Have you tried setting up your network under TCP/IP yet?

By actually assigning addresses to the different nodes, you can increase both the efficiency and security of your network.

I have used this switch a few times. I actually prefer a managed switch since that gives even more control, but this one is a very fast 10/100 model. Its automatic MAC learning hasn't failed me yet.

Try assigning IP addies and set the PC with the Web connection as the Gateway. If you are on a fixed IP given by your ISP, assign their DNS number to all machines that will be capable of accessing the Net.

OTOH, it sounds like part of your LAN is wireless. If that is the case, you may have to finish configuring the connectivity features in its ROM with your browser. There may be an option for MAC filtering that is not enabled...or there may be a selection for port blocking that needs to be shut off to make this work.

Problems can also arise when using a 10/100 switch with a 802.11g 54MB/s wireless AP...set the AP to run @ 11b speeds as a test if all else fails.

If that doesn't do it, other possibilities include corrupt NIC drivers or a bad NIC card.

GL!

4. mfackler

mfackler

Thats what I have tried now. I have now assigned static IPs by DHCP to both the AP and the notebook. Maybe that will help. Thanks

Mike

5. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

FWIW, if they're the same folks who made our wireless router, they have FANTASTIC on-phone free customer service! They even work weekends! They've talked us through two router problems and were very helpful & knowledgeable.