close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DIY target stand?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Simplejack, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Simplejack

Simplejack

Anyone have some target stand diagrams I can use? Something super cheap and easy to make.
    This one here looks pretty cool http://www.flip-n-target.com/how_to_assemble.pdf
    But I think it might cost a little more then I want to spend.

Need something for small cheap paper targets that I can fold up or take apart so that I can put it in the trunk of a small car.

2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

(1) Get a milk crate. Dark green is pretty tactical.

(2) Fasten two tubes (1 1/2" inside by 6-18" or taller, I use PVC) in two of the corners. Tie with string or whatever.

(3) Stick a furring stick (1" x 2" x 8' or cut it down) in each tube, attach cardboard & targets as needed.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

The easiest method is 2x4's cut to length for the base and furring strips (1x2's) for the target uprights. I made a bunch of these. The toughest part about transporting them might be the 5' length for the furring strips.

Look at this link:
    http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15449

This post:
    rugersol on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:06 am

He shows a picture of what mine look like.
    The 2x4 base is basically an "H", with the crossbar of the H being *two* parallel 2x4's being just wide enough that the furring strips fit in there. I don't put anything in the middle like he has (the nails or anything else), because once you have a piece of cardboard stapled to the furring strips, they can't move apart. I make the gap between the crossbar be slightly wider than the strips, as they are often slightly warped or something.

They work great, are cheap, and take a few minutes to make.

All you then need is some cardboard, and strong staple gun (not the kind for office use but more for furniture use) and those are only $20'ish I think. Done. I use my setup for GSSF practices, even though I've only gotten to use them maybe 3 times. Nice to have though.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. napp32

napp32

Sorry....Somebody had to do it. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

5. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

The day after the November 6th presidential elections you can get about 4 million target stands. Look for ones that say Obama or Romney

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

After the hailstorm that did damage in southern Maryland, there were signs all over the place, with the repair companies names, stuck in lawns, etc.

Many, many were left after the repairs were done.
    These signs have metal 'rods' (about 1/8" diameter) that stick into the ground, and plastic 'signage'.

They work perfectly for holding two 8-1/2 x 11" targets.
    Shoot the snot out of 'em, then replace the plastic with cardboard. . . repeat.

7. failsafe

failsafe

That's what I use...Go to one of the political HQ's, ask for a bunch to put out..And then don't...:whistling:

8. Tongo

Tongo

Google "pvc target stand". I made one in about 5 minutes with scraps I had for my sprinkler system. I did have to hit up Lowes to buy the wood for attaching the cardboard.

ETA: I didn't glue mine together so it's easy to break down and transport. If you glued the base and filled it with sand/water, it'd probably be fairly wind resistant too.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

if it's too windy, toss some big stones or bottles of water into the milk crate base.

10. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

yep. that's what I use

11. badge315

badge315

I made these using some scrap lumber and some PVC pipe I had laying around. You just have to use you imagination to come up with target stands; no major engineering skill is required. :wavey:

[​IMG]

12. vart

vart

I built mine out of PVC...

[​IMG]

13. evilspringer

evilspringer

14. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

I built this one using PVC pipe. Cheap, lightweight, and easy to repair if you happen to blow part of it away (don't ask me how I know this... just take my word for it).

I dispensed with the clips and just use masking tape to attach my targets.

Attached Files:

15. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I bolted two pieces of 2x4 together with a piece of 1x2 between them then screwed legs to the ends making an H. 1x2 uprights hold the target backer. I cut the 6ft 1x2 uprights in half and put bolts + wingnuts so they fold up to fit in a three foot space. Having the 1x2 spacer in the base makes it a perfect slip fit for the uprights. I bought 30x40 folding science fair cardboards for backers, cut in half they fold naturally in the middle, so when ready to store my upright is very compact.