DIY Home Alarm Systems

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Daps, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Parents anniversary is in May and well they have pretty much everything that I can afford to get them or would want to give them. The idea of an alarm system popped in my head. I may get it before then with my bonus in March/April

I thought about a wireless system but not sure how good those are
    One I found is this one but looks like one on amazon that didn't get too many good reviews.

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/securityman/Item/AIR-ALARM1/relatedItems/

I thought about a wired one and don't think it would be too hard to install except for spending a day in the attic fishing cables and drilling holes. I'm a IT guy and running wires isn't that hard.

Give me the pro's and con's of wireless vs wired. I'm guessing the wireless may cost more.

Can any one recommend anything or give some web links? Wireless or Wired. Don't plan on doing the monitoring service but I see some units allow phone calls to numbers you can program in. So that maybe helpful

I drew out a layout of the house and don't laugh at my none drawing skills:

[​IMG]

The two windows in the dining room and the side window in the living room all have a brace in them also so you can't lift them without breaking the window, the two on the side are next to the neighbors house and can be seen from the street slightly.

The back window in the dining room is blocked from view, the laundry room window is a small window and would require a ladder.
    The kitchen window is smaller also and would require standing on something but the back yard hides you from view so no problem getting in imo.

The den window is also high up but plenty visible from the street and wide open to view. The two bed room windows and den front window are visible from the street. I'm thinking about getting some security alarm stickers and just putting on them.

My main concern would probably be a reentry. All doors are rod iron security doors with dead bolts.

Where else would you recommend a motion sensor or move the ones where I thought about putting them?

I'm also going to wire in a smoke alarm. Where would you put the keypad? I'm thinking right beside the front door.

Should the horn be mounted indoors or out?

Can this be done for $300-$400? I can start off small and add to it if I have to as money allows. Eventually I may add window sensors to all the windows, I think the rear of the house would be the less secure and would like to get that handled

2. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

The problem is that security systems are personal decisions, and they are made to suit different purposes- some are made to prevent entry, some are made to silently alert the homeowner, some are made to merely record- the very first thing you need to do is sit down with a pen and paper, and figure out exactly what they want and why.

A dog is an excellent component of a comprehensive security system, plus you get a friend out of the deal.

There are a number of avenues to explore- even Radio Shack has some items that may fit the bill. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive.

Even some of the relatively cheap X-10 stuff can be made to work, if you have all of the questions answered before you whip out the plastic.

BTW, it's wrought iron.

3. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Thought that's what the little drawing was. I want them to have something that makes noise if someone comes in, they decide to leave.

Dog is out of the question. They're not getting a dog

4. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

The thing I was trying to get at, is that a lot of people do exactly what you are attempting (purchasing security systems for others), when the recipient is not too inclined to have one, and because they are not of the correct mindset, a couple of false alarms later, it sits unused.

Put another way, if security is high on their list, they have already taken care of it.

I would suggest conferring with them to make sure they really want one- a lot of people don't.

Technically, I personally like the idea of a loud sounder inside, and flashing lights (house lights, not flashing red cop lights), because the intruder will not be able to concentrate if he can't hear and the house lights are turning on and off, which could/would buy the homeowner enough time to decide whether to engage or retreat. It helps if he can't hear you moving around. Crooks don't like loud, and they don't like light, either. X-10 does both of these things affordably.

Philosophically, I used to think that if I won the lottery (or just got rich through hard work), I would buy my mom a trip around the world. After thinking it through, though, I realized how bad I would feel if something bad happened to her while on the trip- plane going down, getting robbed, whatever.

I decided that if I ever had enough money, I would just give her cash, and she could decide for herself whether to take the trip or not.

I have the same feelings about alarm systems- I would feel real bad if I bought her a security system, and it failed in any way- either through giving her a false sense of security, or simply not addressing the particular situation she found herself in.

I don't know you, and I don't know your parents, and I don't know what you have talked about, so take it for what it's worth.

Good luck! :wavey:

5. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Thanks

I see where you're coming from now. I don't think they'll have a problem with one. My dad is familiar with them because he arms and disarms the one at the church. The're still very mobile and go out more than I do hahah

I'm thinking of more or less something for when they're not home. The exterior is pretty well lit with the motion lights.

Saw this wireless and for about $100 more I could put sensors on all the windows except the two in the Den area. I would just put the 1 motion sensor there to cover that area. It only has one siren and doesnt tell how loud it is..

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-547-kit16-qp63-dsc-power-1616-security-system-kit.aspx

I'll talk to my dad about it heck he may even go half on it :whistling:

6. smullen

smullen

I've been wanting to put an alarm on the house too.. Not for our protection, I can do that if it comes to it... Hopefully not...

It seems every 6 months or so, I hear of someones back door getting kicked in and the stupid asses robbing everything pawnable that they can get their hands on...

So, I want something to protect my house and its contents while I'm not home...

I like the idea of something that when tripped, while make a shi!t ton of noise and get everyones attention, thus hopefully scaring away the stupid Azzes trying to rob our stuff...

I know all my neighbors and they are all pretty nice and really pretty handy as they do help keep an eye on the joint...

I'd like to think if they saw/heard the alarm going crazy, they would call 911... never really know till it happends...

7. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

That's my basic idea is something that makes noise and they decide to get out of dodge and maybe have it call a cell phone or something if it went off.

8. CSnakes

CSnakes

One nice to have ... is a keypad in the Master bedroom!

9. Lex87

Lex87

I got a home security system a while back. I opted for the wireless one as there is no wires to cut should someone really want in. It also come with a notification system that will alert me via my iphone should it go off. I personally like the wireless systems. I understand that your parents may not have iphones so that extra feature might be kind of lost on them. Given the response time of the police, I'd like to be the first to know!

Cheers

10. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

11. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHAT MORE DOES A GUY REALLY NEED?

12. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

I have a red nose pit thats about (90lbs) and he is def a best friend, Any sound made outside the bedroom hes the first one out to investigate an im behind him with my glock , If there is an intruder hes gonna have to deal with him so i doubt hes even going to want to see me.

13. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

When I first saw this thread title all I could think of was some twine and a few empty soup cans.

14. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Thanks..I'll look into that

15. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

My boss is planning on getting a Judge and I plan on shooting it :supergrin:

16. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Ok man I spewed out my lemonade and that aint cheap you owe me for that :wavey:
    Which can? Cambells or the off brand soups cans?

17. DesertEagle.45

I think the Progresso cans would give you a better tone.:supergrin:

18. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

hahaha I'll pick some up.. What type of yawn, im thinkng of using black color to be harder to see although fishing twine may be better...What weight should u I use

19. DesertEagle.45

Matbe 30# spiderwire. You could even throw some bells in there.

20. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

great...going to walmart tonite