close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DIY Bed Liners

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Annhl8rX, May 6, 2012.

1. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I'm wanting a "spray in" style bed liner in my truck, but I don't want to pay for a Rhino or Line-X. I'm looking at doing it myself, and would like some feedback from somebody that has done their own.

From what I'm seeing on Amazon reviews, Herculiner seems to be preferred over Duplicolor's Bedarmor. I'm also seeing that the prep work is highly important, and that it works out much better if you do it on a hot, dry day.

What system have you used? Any tips on doing it quicker or better?

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Guys on the F150 forum also recommend http://www.grizzlygrip.com/ DIY bed liner along with Hurculiner. I haven't done either, but if I were, I would do Grizzly Grip.

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I would love to DIY a bedliner since I am NOT spending $500 on my 8 year old Duramax. That being said I have never seen a DIY one that doesn't look like ass either right off the bat or in a relatively short amount of time.

YMMV

4. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I did Herculiner when it was new. It's crap. Monstaliner is the way to go now.

5. nothing

nothing Advertisement

$500? Is that what they quoted you? I spent less than $350 on my lineX and it only took them a couple of hours to install.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  6. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

I bought a can of stuff from the local box store, like $80. It looked pretty good for a while, but it started peeling. Best guess was I didn't properly scuff the surface.

Depends on how much time you want to spend getting the surface right, compared to how much money you want to pay somebody else to do it.

7. Stover918

Stover918

I have sprayed liners before. A good liner is important. Prep is important. A good tape job is important. Spray the sides first. Then the bed. Warm day. No wind. Cover the rest of the truck with plastic.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me

8. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

$475-$525 every place I have checked (and I have called Salt Lake and Denver places when on trips there so a 500+ mile circle).

9. strack350

strack350

If I were you I would just lay out a little extra cash and have a shop do your spary in job. I, had a rhino liner in my last truck "colorado" and currently have an Armorthane liner in my new truck "Ram 1500". A few guys I work with have gone the DIY route, only to have a crap job a few months, or at best a year later. my latest armorthane job cost me 375 OTD, and carrys a lifetime warranty. The rhino liner had the same warranty, but I negotiated that in with the cost of the truck when new. And both only took about 2 hours to perform, Alot better than I could do with the DIY kit's.:cool:

10. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I hadn't heard of the Grizzly Grip or Monstaliner. I guess I have some more research to do now.

11. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I've sprayed Herculiner through a drywall texture hopper gun and did a jeep floor and it came out great. The art of the deal is masking and sanding. It's 80% preparation, maybe more. I sanded with 80 grit on a DA sander and used a wire wheel to get to spots I couldn't get to with the sander.

12. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Hmmmm. Like a Spraying Mantis type? I am actually pretty good with knockdown and orange peel. Were you able to salvage the gun or was it toast? This may be an option for me.

Which size orifice did you use?

13. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

If you do it yourself, just don't get it on your hootus.

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

Is this a common problem? They just mentioned bedliner on the hootus on Jeepforum.com.

I am planning on doing my Jeep with the Monstaliner.

15. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Classic! We can update it for GT as well. Don't get it on your Bravia!

16. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

It's an old meme from the jeep forum.

17. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Used a harbor freight special so salvage wasn't important, but with lacquer thinner she cleaned up fine.

I played with the 3 orifices and the smaller one looked most like professional spray liners. Just play with the PSI until you get the pattern you like.

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

Honestly, save up the cash and get it done properly, by someone with the right equipment, materials, and skills. This is not the same as painting your garage or deck. I paid around $500 for over the rail linex 8 years ago, and it looks the same as the day I put it in. I'll admit that it's not used heavily, but my dad shovels mulch out of it with a metal shovel a few times a year, and it held up just fine to what i consider to be typical pickup truck use.

19. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I realize that having it professionally done would be best, but I don't want to do that. It's not that I can't afford to do it, it just isn't worth that much to me.

If similar results are possible at home, that would be ideal. I don't mind spending the better part of a day and some elbow grease to get it right.

My real hesitation is the diversity of experiences people seem to have with the do it your self options. You seem to get just as many people saying it's great as you get saying it's crap. Without knowing how well people prepped, and what the use their trucks for, it's hard to determine how much weight to give the reviews. I may just have to suck it up and go for it.

20. vart

vart

I've been wanting to do the sides of my Suburban with a DIY bed liner material...

The trails I take it on scratch the heck out of the sides, so I figured bed liner might work pretty well...