close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Divorce in Ohio

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, May 27, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

My brother is getting a divorce in Ohio. It appears to be amicable. They are trying to do as much as possible outside of the courts and lawyers to avoid the cost.

My question is pretty easy for someone who has already been through it.

1.) How old do the kids have to be before they have a say in who they have as the primary parent?

2.) How is child support figured when both parents make about the same amount of money?

Of course there is a lot more to the story, but I am not going there. But nothing that Jerry Springer would be interested in for those looking for an interesting story, just the normal stuff where people change over the years and maybe were not honest with themselves when they got married.

Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  2. smokin762

smokin762

From my experience about 11 years ago, the court finds out how much both parties’ income is and then they have a formula for what percentage each parent is responsible for.

The man is usually responsible for keeping the children on his Health Care Policy. If he doesn’t have Health Care, then he pays more money to the mother for her to put the children on her policy.

Example:

I am responsible for 38% of my daughter’s wellbeing. Plus I have to carry her on my Health Care Policy.

Since my ex, makes more money than I do, her percentage is higher. However, she also gets the write off at the end of the year for taxes.

The mother is responsible for the first $100.00 of every year for medical bills. After that, it’s 50/50.

Every 3 years, either parent is able to take back the other parent to reduce or raise the Child Support. If the cost of Health Care goes up 10% or more after 3 years, that parent can take the other parent back to court to reduce the support to offset the increase in Health Care.

I receive a letter from the Courts every 3 years, explaining my rights. I am sure she gets one too.

I believe the age a child can decide which parent they want to live with is 12 years old.

When my ex and I split up, my daughter was 3 years old. Now she is 14 years old. To this day, we have never modified the Child Support. I am still paying towards Day Care when my daughter was 3 years old and my Health Care has gone up 300% over the past 11 years.

My ex is acting like she wants a pay raise. I’ll see how this works out for her. Since, she has taken a job that pays even more than her last job.

Last edited: May 27, 2012

3. RWBlue

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Is there any way to look up the formula?

Does the court take into consideration a diary or any other form to help deturmin who is the primary parent?

4. RWBlue

5. smokin762

smokin762

Sorry, I was with my daughter all day yesterday and I didn't have time to check back.

Do your brother a favor. Let him know after the divorce, make and keep copies of everything and keep notes with dates and times of anything said. He may need this one day as proof.

Years ago, I bought 3 ring binders and labeled them with the year and subject.

Example,

Health Care Bills Paid:
    I make a copy of the bill and attach a copy of the check to it incase there is ever a question about did I pay a bill, I instantly have a check number and date to refer to.

School Trips Paid:
    These should be included in the paid Child Support but I still help out with it, she is my kid after all. Again, write a check and make a copy with the school notice about the Trip. I attach a letter with the check I give my ex explaning, this check is not a gift, if the school Trip gets canceled or my child desides not to go, I expect full reimbursment within 30 days.

Visitation Rights and Contempt of Court Issues:
    When my ex threatens me with anything or refuses to allow me to have my daughter for my visit, I write down the Day, time and the issue that occured.

Moms get away with a lot and dads need lots of proof to show the judge that the mom is not playing by the rules.

The last time my ex and I went to court over an issue, the Court liked how neat and organized I was. Maybe, this is one of the reasons my ex hates me. :whistling::supergrin:

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

at what age does the child support stop? 18?

7. smokin762

smokin762

Providing the child has not failed a grade, 18 years old and graduated High School.

I have 4 years and 1 month. Not that I am counting or anything. :supergrin:

BTW, the dad has to call the court and let them know the exact date and set up a court date to get it stopped. The court does not automaticaly stop the Child Support withholdings. If the father gets stuck paying longer because the court is busy, he is suppose to get that money back. I just don't believe it will happen until I see it.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  8. RWBlue

I guess it depends on if you love your kids.

9. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Oh, sorry ... I came in here thinking maybe Tom Waits had a new album out.

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

hardy har har. At 18 the money you dole out is to them not the ex-wife. See the difference?

11. RWBlue

It is still child support. It is just going directly to your kids.

Semantics I guess.

12. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

actually its adult support. Most parents tell their 18 year olds to put down the video games, stop sleeping on the couch til 11 a.m. And get a job.

13. smokin762

smokin762

On the Child Support Papers, it will state, until 18 years old and graduated from High School but, the parent may be morally obligated longer.

No legal weight, so they can bite me. :whistling:

My plan is to take the Child Support money and help my daughter with College. I just refuse to pay for the whole thing. She will need to be proactive in helping herself as well.

For the past year I have been giving my 14 year old daughter $20.00 a week, I have been trying to teach her how to save money for things that she wants and things for Ballet, like Point Shoes and Garments. The deal is she is not allowed to ask her mother or myself for the money. She has to save the money to get what she wants or needs.

I think it has been working so far. My daughter has told me a few times, how she is amazed how her friends waste their money on dumb things.

A parent needs to teach a child the value of a buck somehow.:dunno:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  14. smokin762

smokin762

Agreed!