Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
G17 Gen 5 MOS, G42, G26 Gen5
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Like most that shoot in GSSF events, I am getting drawn in deeper and deeper. Being on fixed income just isn't helping to quench my desire to become more involved in GSSF. That being said, my focus has to center on entry fees and feeding my pistols, while meeting my other adult obligations.

This question may be sacrilege, and I apologize in advance. Other than self-satisfaction with mastery of the larger bore pistols and increasing one's chances at winning either performance or random prizes, is there an overall advantage to expanding into the Major Sub Compact and Heavy Metal divisions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Greetings!

Like most that shoot in GSSF events, I am getting drawn in deeper and deeper. Being on fixed income just isn't helping to quench my desire to become more involved in GSSF. That being said, my focus has to center on entry fees and feeding my pistols, while meeting my other adult obligations.

This question may be sacrilege, and I apologize in advance. Other than self-satisfaction with mastery of the larger bore pistols and increasing one's chances at winning either performance or random prizes, is there an overall advantage to expanding into the Major Sub Compact and Heavy Metal divisions?

I was promoted to master in less than 2 years shooting major sub as a amateur. After that your swimming with the big sharks in the pool.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Depends on if you are shooting as a Amateur there now has to be 15 entries in each division ( except Master Stock) for a pistol to be awarded. Generally the cost of 10mm , 45 GAP, 45 ACP ammunition is greater even if you reload your own. GSSF has apparently also changed the amount of random pistols awarded (no one knows for sure as they removed Rules 190.60.5 & 190,60.8 from the published rules).I made master in 2012 shooting a G37 in Am/Civ , Heavy Metal and a G30SF in Subcompact and Major Sub. I reload my own and still shoot HM with the 37 and Major Sub with the 30SF as a master.

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
9,400 Posts
Greetings!

Suggest you evaluate TRUE costs to play and or win a prize. After taxes and depreciation of the vehicle, myself could only realize breaking even in a pistol win.

If you consider new friends and enjoyment that may over ride the costs.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Matches I go to, are very less likely to have 15 amateur entries in those divisions, thus reducing the likelihood of winning a pistol, evewn if you come in first.

The best division for amateurs is Stock.

·
Private side
11,793 Posts
What categories do you shoot now?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sir,

I am currently shooting: Pocket Glock, Civilian, Sub Compact, and occasionally MOS. I am currently trying to decide how I want to redeem a random pistol certificate. On this particular certificate, a G22 Gen 5 is NOT offered, so I am torn between a G34 Gen 5 and a G30 Gen 4. I tend to prefer a Gen5 grip over finger groove grips.

What I am seeing as a personal point of concern is that I am disabled, with injuries to both legs and my support arm. I do shoot 1911s, but not like the course of fire in a GSSF event. So far, I have shot 7 outdoor events this year, and I try to offset entry fees by volunteering as an SO when I can. Shooting 4 or 5 divisions justifies the travel for me, and in many respects, it is both therapy and motivation, since I wasn't expected to walk again. Plus, it's nice to be out among other shooters. Winning events and pistols aren't really my motivation, it is more about becoming more proficient and overcoming my challenges. Please, don't get me wrong, winning is nice, but I need challenges in order to become more proficient.

·
Registered
22 Posts
is there an overall advantage to expanding into the Major Sub Compact and Heavy Metal divisions?
I have been shooting Heavy Metal division since I started 5 years ago.
It's a tough division to win at. There are a lot of good shooters with a G21 . I just keep trying.

Next year I'll have a G30. There are many opportunities as an amateur in major/sub to take first place and get $100 check.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Crusty Member
10,925 Posts
Matches I go to, are very less likely to have 15 amateur entries in those divisions, thus reducing the likelihood of winning a pistol, evewn if you come in first.

The best division for amateurs is Stock.
Depends on your goals. The matches in my area (most of which are no longer held :( ) tended to be very well attended, and the "ringers" who invariably showed up and embarrassed most of the AmCiv field tended not to bother with HeavyMetal or MajorSub. IIRC, it only took a couple of seasons after I started shooting HeavyMetal and MajorSub to win 3 guns and make master. That never would have happened had I kept shooting just AmCiv and SubCompact.

·
Private side
11,793 Posts
OP, looking at your list I didn’t see RIMFIRE. I would guess it is going to be well attended at most events and it is cheap to shoot and practice. If the model 44 is on the list perhaps you could consider it even though you would lose value on the certificate that is worth the cost of a centerfire pistol.

Whatever you use in civilian can be used in COMP, UNLIMITED, and MASTER STOCK. No need for the 34 unless you just want it or think it is better for you. Both the 34 and any 45 caliber require an upgrade fee so if you:
1-Want a new gun and
2-Want it to shoot other divisions
Then the 30 or 30S might be the most useful since it gets you 2 new divisions (HM and Major Sub) The Model 44 only gets you rimfire and the 34 is only allowed in competition and unlimited (unless it is an MOS).

Reactions: PM720

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP, looking at your list I didn’t see RIMFIRE. I would guess it is going to be well attended at most events and it is cheap to shoot and practice. If the model 44 is on the list perhaps you could consider it even though you would lose value on the certificate that is worth the cost of a centerfire pistol.

Whatever you use in civilian can be used in COMP, UNLIMITED, and MASTER STOCK. No need for the 34 unless you just want it or think it is better for you. Both the 34 and any 45 caliber require an upgrade fee so if you:
1-Want a new gun and
2-Want it to shoot other divisions
Then the 30 or 30S might be the most useful since it gets you 2 new divisions (HM and Major Sub) The Model 44 only gets you rimfire and the 34 is only allowed in competition and unlimited (unless it is an MOS).
Trooper,
That is correct, you did not see RIMFIRE for four reasons. First, considering the MSRP, it would be a pistol easier for me to purchase on a fixed income. Second, having worked as an SO, I have seen a number of G44s that have demonstrated various functioning issues, which places it in my "persnickety" category, which tends to make me have reservations about shooting it. Third, rimfire is a cartridge that I don't want to contemplate reloading, and as such, I would be at the mercy of a questionable supply chain. Fourth, after seeing the price of rimfire at Camp Perry this past summer, buying stockpile amounts induces a high level of heartburn.

I don't have a problem paying an upgrade fee. The upgrade fee is always less than paying full price for a center fire pistol. Going with a center fire allows for a more versatile use: IDPA, GSSF, PPC, and Adaptive Defensive Shooting Summit. Additionally, I am more comfortable with the Gen 5 frames than the Gen 3 or 4s. At present, based on current offerings, if I win additional certificates, I can see the following joining my collection: G45, G43, G19 and if offered, a G22 and G23. Plus, low turnout events do have an advantage, so I'm not really in a hurry to make Master!

·
Private side
11,793 Posts
I shoot 9 categories per match. I had 2 ammo related fail to fires with Federal bulk blue box at the Mobile match but it wasn’t the guns fault. Haven’t had a fail to feed with OEM mags since the one I had with the first round of the first mag I ever fired through it. (I too saw the value of the certificate as greater than the G44 so I wouldn’t redeem it for one). My last G44 was purchased used, with an extra, threaded, barrel and 3 mags for $329 OTD and ammo is readily available here for decent prices.
I may upgrade my next certificate to a 40MOS to use as a hunting pistol IF I don’t go all stupid and get a 5th Gen 22 (if that is an option).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts