Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean my LCP weekly because I pocket carry almost everyday. I pulled it out of the pocket holster yesterday and the barrel had so much corrosion it took a good amount of force to get the action to cycle. Definitely wouldn't have functioned properly. Anyone else have this problem? I've never had any other pistol do this.

·
Banned
312 Posts
Try applying Barricade to all exterior moving parts. I had a slight rust problem with the P3AT and after a quick scrub down with Hoppes' No. 9, I applied Barricade and I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I am also in the north east and i have not had the slightest amount of rust any place on my LCP posket carried w/o holster. Have you tried a holster that is either leather or another material that will resist water and vapors from sweat?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
marine tough cloth it works for my p32 my blue slide is totally bare from carry

·
Registered
505 Posts
Have any photos?

·
NRA Life Member
545 Posts
That seems odd. I pocket or ankle carry my LCP just about every day. Summertime temps for me are mid to high eighties to nineties with 70%-80% humidity common. I break my LCP down and clean/oil it maybe once a month, visually inspecting it more often. I have never had any rust or corrosion. Maybe a flaw in the finish from the factory?

·
Gunaholic
797 Posts
The more I read about Rugers, the more I love my Kel-Tecs!

Seriously, I've got a P32 with 7 years of pocket carry, basically no parkerizing left and no corrosion. Hopefully the new P3AT I've been carrying for 3 months now will do the same. But I do use pocket holsters (Desantis). And this is in sultry Southern Indiana.

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
That photo shows how worthless the FP10 is.

I had a Kimber blued finish rusted and pitted within 8 hours in a humid environment. I had buffed it up with FP10 to protect the finish.

The Glock tennifer finish in the same environment (replaced the Kimber) has had no problems for years.

·
Gaff G26 User!
2,392 Posts
Some of you guys must have acid sweat!:shocked::supergrin:

I carry mine everyday and have not encountered any rust problems...however, I do use a Bianchi pocket holster which I think protects the gun from sweat.

HR

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
My father had to replace his watch band every two years. Spidel Twist O Flex ss backs. After two years the springs would be coming through the back because they were eaten though. He actually ate clear through the metal. I have been wearing the same brand of watch band for 10 years and never had so much as tarnish. Different body chemistry.

If I were the OP I would replace the barrel, Ruger should do it for a reasonable price and then I would send it out for one of the high tech platings. Or just clean it up and replace it with something stainless steel.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I first bought an all stainless NAA Guardian because I needed a so-called deep concealment type gun and didnt want to worry about corrosion. But, that gun is rather heavy in the pocket. It's also a little wider than the LCP. So I got me an LCP and admit I was worried about the rust but have not had any and I really dont take very good care of the gun. It gets pretty humid here and I have pocket carried, leather holster carried and also in one of those Nemesis things but still no rust, I cant explain it but I am not going to complain.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you do sway away from the LCP, check out the S&W 642. I had a P3AT for awhile and optioned for the 642 instead. Great gun.

·
hates you
32,671 Posts
Ya'll need to drink more water and dilute that nastiness coming out of your sweat glands down some.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I carry in a Smart Carry and had rust on my slide after a few weeks. I was fairly diligent about oiling and cleaning and still got rust. I just sent it in to Overland Industries W/an AK refinish and will have it Gunkoted. Hopefully that will solve my problem and it could be an option for you.

CougKev

1 - 20 of 30 Posts