DISTURBING! Rowland, N.C. police officer BRUTALLY beaten in video, no-one helps him

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by DonGlock26, Oct 19, 2020.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

View: https://youtu.be/ArM5D38GAG0

:steamed:

"The video shows the fight lasted for nearly 11 minutes. During the incident, Sale asked a man to help, but the man refused to offer him any assistance.

Several people come outside and some urge others to help.

The video shows one man pulls the man away from the officer but lets him go.

The man then goes back to attack the officer and repeatedly punches him in the face.

Chief Graham said Officer Sale was the only officer on duty Friday night and because of that it took backup some time to get there.

Graham said Dillon County deputies got on the scene before their counterparts in Robeson County.

The video shows Sale's face pretty bloody before EMS arrived.

Officer Sale may have a broken bone around his eye and that's why he was airlifted to the hospital, according to Graham.

Sale's gun and some equipment got lost in the fight, Graham said, but has been recovered.

https://wpde.com/news/crime/officer-airlifted-to-hospital-after-trying-to-arrest-a-man "

2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Just as disturbing is that the officer could not handle the guy one on one.

Lord, voyager4520, treg and 10 others like this.

3. FoleyAMG

FoleyAMG

It's called training or lack there of...the department needs to review it's policies asap...this is nuts...this is no way to put an officer on the streets, by themselves, only officer on duty, zero fighting skills...give me a break...Chief needs to step down...feel for this man's family. On the same note, the officer made the decision to engage, with no back up...and I always hated "Monday morning QBs" ...urgh

4. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

Sadly, it looks like the LEO needs to be hitting the gym or riding a desk. He's gonna get himself and others hurt. He lost his service weapon during the struggle. The only reason he wasn't beaten senseless, or shot, is because the suspect was simply toying with him like a cat with a mouse. Painful to watch but I hope he can keep his job in some capacity. I hope another LEO with some force on force ability takes full advantage of his first opportunity to tighten the suspect up. Free of charge.

JAGIOV and FoleyAMG like this.
  5. G17K

G17K

Clint Eastwood said it best! A man has to know his limitations!
    This officer is in a "no win" situation. He's by himself, with no immediate cover or back up. If he had enough "backside" to pick this guy up and body slam him, he would have to fight the entire neighborhood.
    He lost his pistol and was lucky someone didn't recover it and use it on him.
    A better course of action may have been to "disengage" before it got to this point and wait for those county cars to show up. Making an arrest one on one is risky at best.
    There will always be someone stronger, in better shape, younger, or perhaps tougher.
    The suspect belongs to the hood. He's not going far.
    If the department really wanted enforcement, the officer would not be working alone.
    Worse case scenario, the officer doesn't make the arrest but goes home to his family.
    The officer needs to have a serious heart to heart talk with himself about his physical conditioning and tactics.
    I give him credit for having heart but it could have cost him his life!
    Stay safe guys and remember for the most part in the current climate, you are on your own!
    Don't go it alone!

treg, JAGIOV and FoleyAMG like this.
  6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There was a time. You just knew that even if you beat the Officer you KNEW it was going to be a painful victory.
    You better hope the other Officers hated the person you embarrassed, and you showed some style, had a reason. Or you were going to be very sore for many days.
    “It will be done unto you 5 times what you did unto him”. Might have been a truthful phrase.

pwinter and FoleyAMG like this.
  7. merlynusn

merlynusn

Apparently this is the second time that officer got beat badly. First time was with another agency. Edit: it’s toward the bottom of the article.

FoleyAMG likes this.
  8. FoleyAMG

FoleyAMG

Man, I missed that. Think someone needs to sit this officer down and discuss other career opportunities. Happens once, your reaction should be to embrace combative(s) training, weapon retention, etc...2nd time, review the tapes, yikes I did not learn or apply anything, the 3rd time will likely kill me...time to find another occupation...

cbetts1 and merlynusn like this.
  9. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    So I use a gun and then the cops arrest me and let the criminal go. F that.

Cops will soon be at my door to get my guns once Biden gets in.

...too bad, but that is our world in 2020.

10. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    What does this have to do with this thread, at all?

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

At some point during that fight, you become justified in shooting him.

The guy making the video could probably be charged with something for encouraging the guy.

I expect that's a part of town that could benefit from carpet bombing.

Lord, G26-Has-my-6, Dynactus and 2 others like this.
  12. bubbatime

bubbatime

I had some amazing training officers. I was trained by old school Dept of Corrections Sergeants in officer safety. If it looks like you might lose, then all rules are off the table. Eye gouges, throat punches, groin grab and rips, meet deadly force with deadly force. Make them PAY for even thinking about attacking an officer. I can honestly say those lessons 20 years ago have helped me along the way and Im proud that I never lost a tussle. All the fight magically comes screeching to a halt when you got 4 inches of index finger tickling the back of someone's brain....

Clearly this officer could use a few lessons in survival...

Detectorist and FoleyAMG like this.
  13. FoleyAMG

FoleyAMG

We used to train our officers with the philosophy that if an individual places their hands on an "armed" police officer, they clearly have made their intentions clear, they do not want to hurt you, they want to kill you. You must train to match/exceed the level of violence of the aggressor to neutralize the threats (this does not mean kill, it mean stop the threat!). At the same time, focused training on situational awareness, threat identification and awareness, verbal judo...etc...

G17K and Dragoon44 like this.
  14. Dragoon44

My philosophy was simple, you don’t put your hands on me,period if you do, the fight is on, and I won because I was willing to take the violence further, faster than the other guy.

I saw plenty of guys who the only times they were involved in a use of force was when force was used against them. So they were always the victim and never the victor.

G17K, bubbatime and FoleyAMG like this.
  15. DrewBone

DrewBone

I guess I missed the story about how a Police badge instantly turns whoever wears one into John Wick or Superman?

No matter how much training a person gets or how big or how bad they think they are, there will always be someone who's capable of kicking their ass whether they're a bodybuilder/weightlifter, martial artist, or Police Officer. To believe otherwise is just plain folly.

16. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

You really don’t know how a lot of the United States gets policed, do you? Four of the six adjacent Counties (to me) run one man patrols (or call out only). Most nights I worked we just had two guys for over 850 square miles.

Several years ago, I started a thread on how long people waited fir backup when SHTF.

On the other end of the spectrum, I met a Des Moines cop who had been on over five years and never been to a call, by himself.

Officer Sales needs to take a real look at himself. His life was not in his hands. I’m scared for him.

Vigilant and Dragoon44 like this.
  17. bdcochran

bdcochran

Is Rowland NC safe?
    With a crime rate of 51 per one thousand residents, Rowland has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20.

Population is slightly over 1000.

Only one officer on duty.

FoleyAMG likes this.
  18. Dragoon44

Where exactly did I say putting on a badge makes someone into superman?

Your reference to fictional characters tells me all I need to know about what you might know or your experience in physical confrontation. Which is probably zero actual street experience.

Though I will say, John Wick did get one thing right, it is about the will. The will to fight and continue fighting is far more important than how large or strong someone is. As I have mentioned many times it is about who will take it the farthest the fastest.

The cop in the video was totally unprepared for violence and he should reconsider his choice of occupation.

When it comes to violence my frame of reference is not fictional characters in movies, my frame of reference is actual experience.
    I have fought larger stronger opponents, I have ended up bloody and my uniform torn. But the fight always ended with the other guy in cuffs.

I have been injured in fights, cut, stabbed, and even shot. The difference is I never lay down and quit. I stayed in the fight to the end. THAT is what makes the difference, it isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

The cop in the video? Had no fight in him. He was easily overcome and reduced to pleading for help because he lacked the will to fight and to do whatever was necessary to win. He is alive on because his assailant chose not to kill him.

19. FoleyAMG

FoleyAMG

Hmm...Dude, what are you talking about?

My comment was about training...there is no excuse for lack of Police officer training...Period! It was obvious by the video that this young officer was not prepared for the situation and lacked the critical skills to save his own rear. Plus, this is the 2nd time this has happened to the officer...so his decision making and training now comes into question. This responsibility rests with the Chief...he makes the decision for one officer on duty for the entire department. If he makes that call, then he needs to ensure his officers are capable of handling the situations that will arise in his county, town, district, etc. Has the Chief accurately assessed the threats to his community and has he prepared his officers, to be the only officer on duty, to respond to those threats. From this situation, the answer appears to be no. That is what I was calling out.

We agree...Officer Sales have some serious self reflection ahead of him!

I have a full appreciation of American policing, you do not know me or my background!

Frankly not trying to fight with you...so not sure where you tone was coming from.

20. FoleyAMG

FoleyAMG

Sheepdog mentality vs. one of the sheep!