"District Heating" Bites.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 23, 2013.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Here in Riga, the heat to the apartment is from a series if power plants on the outskirts of the city that pump hot water through pipes into the city. Each apartment block taps into that hot water loop. Usually two heat exchangers in each building, one for hot water radiator heat, and another for hot water to sinks and showers. It's a heck of system for upkeep, with all the old underground piping, they are always digging up the streets, and since the heat is regulated at the heat exchanger in the basement, there is no control of the heat in most apartments. When you're too cold, wear more clothes. When it's too hot...open the window...:upeyes: But still the locals love to tell me how efficient the scheme is. Yeah, on paper it may seem like a good deal, but with the cost of the infrastructure, the upkeep and the PITA for apartment dwellers...I'd much rather pay the oil man and have my own thermostat.
    Any city folks back in the USA have the same deal? Guess there are some cities with the same deal, but this is my first go-around with this type of heating.

2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

You mean there is not like a knob on the radiator to restrict flow? That is like 1930s technology.

I am not the biggest fan of radiant heat. Takes a long time to heat up a room.

3. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Few years back an apartment complex in Jacksonville was the first in the area to try the "no utility bills" gimmick. In the winter people complained they were cold, or too hot, and in the summer no one could ever get cool enough except at night, when of course everyone was too cold until the sun came up.

Ditto on the "give me a thermostat and utility bill each month" sentiment.

4. FullClip

Yeah...there used to be a valve on the radiators in my apartment, and it IS from the 1930s....but that valve has long been broken, corroded in place and has 80+ years of paint over it. Even if it did work, I could shut it down a bit to cool off the apartment, but what can you do if the place is cold?

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I know that both Boston and NYC have steam piping. I would think a lot of the big Northeast cities have them.

Probably more efficient since they can regulate it in the buildings better.

OTOH, I'm sitting in my office in Fall River. The heat and cooling is zoned - 2 zones per floor. It's 15 degrees outside. I'm FREEZING in here! They haven't turned on the registers at the windows. (40 yr old glass building with SINGLE PANE glass windows. Window registers are VITAL when it gets below about 25.)

6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

My radiator works too well. I have the heat on 1 our of 5.

The solution, I have never met an eastern European that doesnt work on the bribe philosophy. Figure out who controls the heat, then a little kick-back, your valve will be fixed and enough water flowing that you will be warm. You have to get into the Eastern European mind set (bribes). Now see the german mindset..fill out a form..wait..wrong form..fill out new form...not really the right office to handle this...go over there and fill out a new form...wait...wrong form..wrong office...5 months later...its very warm out and summer, why would you want heat?

7. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Back in base housing at Ft Polk, they came up with an internal thermostat directly on the hvac.
    It was adjusted twice a year for the two big seasons. The Summer max ac temp was 74 degrees. After 11am it got hot and after 8pm it finally started to cool.
    I can only imagine the rise in domestics.

However, the little tamper proof sticker on the thermostat cover could be removed carefully with steam from an iron.

One of my soldiers got stressed and ripped it off to adjust the internal thermostat. He was found out at the next scheduled adjustment. He got an Article 15.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

battleships are not known for comfort...

9. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

The city I work in uses steam pipes that heat the city buildings which includes my hospital. I don't know of any residential buildings using that system. The university I went to had that also.

The building isn't too hot or two cold (to me), so the system seems to be working well.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

LOL.

I'm betting it's a bit brisk down there. There should be ice on the bay by the AM.

11. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I lived in an apartment complex that had a central water heater, (but not heat) and piped it out to the buildings... Every winter they were digging up the streets, fixing broken pipes ... :upeyes:

12. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

15 years ago when traveling to Poland they were always complaining in the. Sounds interesting and like you guys have the same system as they.....

On that trip we spent a day in Riga......................

13. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

Lol, I would trade my comfy house for a weekend in Riga with you any day of the week!! Been to the markets downtown yet in old town?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. Jake514

Jake514

Many of the larger buildings and complexes (think campus-type operations) have district heating and cooling, and if properly used can be very efficient. Toronto recently installed a system where cold water is piped from deep in the lake into the city. The water is processed and used for cooling the office buildings in the city, and also for domestic water delivery. Knowledgeable operators and regular maintenance is the key.

15. FullClip

Riga is actually pretty nice place I think, but with the hours I put in at work, no time to play tourist. I'm lucky to get to the local Rimi grocery store to keep the refrigerator stocked up with food and beer.
    My apartment is on the corner of Birvabas iela and Gertrudes Iela....in the "classic" section of town....:supergrin:

16. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Isnt it ironic that people think that when you work overseas, you are just a tourist?

I mean I have free time in Germany, but that is normally some on saturday and sunday. Friday nights if I am not having to work early Saturday.

Weeknights, work has me booked until...well...i just got "home" and its 22:15.

17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Latvia? You'd think Dr. Doom would have upgraded that stuff by now.

[​IMG]