Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop and the display recently started going out intermittently.

Weird thing is, it's not totally out - I can very, very vaguely see the image, but nowhere near enough to use the computer - can't even see the mouse moving, but if I put my nose right up to the screen, I can barely see a ghost of the image.

I suspected some loose cable or connector, so I just completely disassembled the thing (needed to get dusted out anyway) and reassembled, but no dice.

The video card looked ok, I guess - I made damn sure it was plugged nice & tight onto the motherboard.

Any ideas? What would cause the display to do this? It started over the weekend - booted up, display was dead. Rebooted a few times, problem gone.

Until today - Wednesday.

What would cause this??

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
It sounds like the backlight for the display is bad. You can first check to make sure the video is working by using an external display but when the video goes it "usually" (not always) turns gray first and or lines first. I bet it's the backlight for the notebook display.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like the backlight for the display is bad. You can first check to make sure the video is working by using an external display but when the video goes it "usually" (not always) turns gray first and or lines first. I bet it's the backlight for the notebook display.

Ok, so I'm posting this from my laptop which is now hooked up to a 17" HP widescreen monitor.

It's working flawlessly, so its obviously either the backlight or, more likely, the inverter.

I did check out support.dell.com and it does seem most likely that it is the inverter - the screen is not dead - I can see it, it is just extremely dim.

If anyone can post a link to a reputable, inexpensive place for me to find an LCD inverter for a Dell Inspiron 9100, I'd be forever grateful. :supergrin:

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
If anyone can post a link to a reputable, inexpensive place
Hope it’s under warranty … sorry but that can be the most expensive repair for a laptop. I’ve bought new laptops cheaper then manufactures want to repair a display.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
Not so obvious. A bad mother board can still run an external port while failing to display anything at all on the internal screen. Ask me how I know this?

I swapped both screen and small interface boards only to discover the motherboard's internal video display chip was bad.

The only way to trouble shoot this is to have one of each part on hand.

Ebay was filled with older laptop parts, check it out.

:rant:

·
Getting older every day!
2,944 Posts
My vote is for the lamp.

I have seen this may times. If you look really close or use a flashlight you can still see that the LCD is still working, just no light to shine through.

Cheaper to buy a new laptop than fix. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My vote is for the lamp.

I have seen this may times. If you look really close or use a flashlight you can still see that the LCD is still working, just no light to shine through.

I agree. Unless you can find a used panel off ebay and even then it's no walk in the park to swap it out.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My vote is for the lamp.

Yep, that's exactly right - if I shine a flashlight on the screen, I can vaguely see the image.

So replacing the inverter will NOT fix my problem??

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, how can I tell whether it is the inverter or the lamp or the Mother Board?

Is there a way to diagnose it or do I just have to replace a part & see?

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I need to get this resolved.

Any ideas how I can tell for sure which part is giving me the problems?

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Solution found!!!

I took my laptop to a local shop and he verified it was the inverter. I had him go ahead & replace it for me - I know I could have done it myself & saved maybe $30-40, but I didn't want to risk it if it wasn't the inverter, then dealing with shipping it back, getting a refund, etc.

Anyhow, he ordered it, popped it in today & my computer is as good as new! He only charged me $90, which I thought was fair.

Thanks for your help, guys!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts