close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Disneyworld

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ironbar, May 28, 2012.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

Howdy folks,

My family and I would like to go to Disneyworld in November. Does anyone have familiarity with DW? We've been to Disneyland a few times so we're familiar with all the workings of how to get around the park- Fastpass, etc.

I understand that DW is measured in square miles rather than acres- so we're prepared for that. I guess what we're most concerned about is accommodations. With Disneyland, you could stay off property and be fine. Is staying on property at DW necessary and can you drive there if staying in Orlando?

Thanks!

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Yes you can stay off property. Look up hotels in celebration Fl. That is very close.

But in november the disney hotels will be pretty lightly booked and fairly reasonably priced. A guess is their "value" hotels will be about $70 a night and you get free parking pass to the parks along with extended hours. The extended hours are only for guests of the disney hotels.

Google "extra magical hours" and you can get an idea of which park has extended hours each day.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

On property is not necessary but DEF would make your lives easier on your daily adventrues. Been many times, just my .02.

4. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

On property also allows early park access, which makes things much easier. Now is the time when they offer the great on property deals as well. Start on the DW website and than branch out to the other travel sites.

5. cal45

cal45

FYI - The above statement will not be true the closer you get to Thanksgiving week.

6. njl

njl

There's two "grades" if you will of Disney hotels. There are several (Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian) that are on the monorail loop to the Magic Kingdom. Then there are numerous others that are not, but are still Disney owned and have regular Disney bus service to the Disney parks.

If you stay in monorail loop hotels (i.e. if money is no object) there's no need to drive...you literally just walk from your room, through the lobby, to the monorail stop, wait for a train, and ride to the Magic Kingdom (or switch trains and ride to Epcot, or take a train and bus to get to Studios or Animal Kingdom). If you stay in a non-loop hotel, you just take their bus system to whichever park you want.

Even the non-Disney hotels catering to park visitors will have their own bus service to the parks...but if you're coming specifically for the Disney parks, I suggest shopping for deals on a Disney hotel. Of season, you can sometimes get really good deals at the non-loop hotels. The ones on the loop, I don't think you can get a room for less than a few hundred $/night.

7. Ironbar

Ironbar

Thanks a million! Please keep the suggestions coming! Any particular hotels to look for? Any other suggestions for DW newbs like us?

We'd like to go some time after November 9th which is when the Christmas decorations will be up.

8. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Best time to visit Disney is after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. The parks will be empty and you will find the best rates on the hotels.

Personally, we like to stay on site. Fort Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge being the best in my opinion.

There are several unauthorized guides which are fantasic resources. Disney forums are also very active and have more data on them than you can possibly digest.

9. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Go and buy a Birnbaums guide to DW [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-2012/dp/1423138619"]Amazon.com: Birnbaum's Walt Disney World 2012 (9781423138617): Birnbaum travel guides: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51z8rbBahhL.@@AMEPARAM@@51z8rbBahhL[/ame] . Its got the most comprehensive info on WDW. It will tell you about each park, the resorts, restaurants and everything else in great detail. It helped us out when we were there last year.

10. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Of all the incredible places to travel to and see in this world...

Disneyworld!?

11. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

I think the 'Unofficial Guide' books are MUCH better than the Birnbaum. I consider a current version a MUST before doing anything Disney.

have a plan.

12. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

What do you have against Disney World? If you have kids or are a kid at heart it truly is a magical place.

Back on topic, the "moderate" on property hotels are nice. My family and I have stayed at The Carribean Beach Resort and Port Orleans and had a great time at both. The only downside is the lines for the buses back to the hotel can get very long at the end of the day.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

We stayed at the Yacht Club. It was OK. We wanted to stay at the Contemporary resort or the Grand Floridan but they were booked. When we booked, they were giving a basic dining plan. I asked if I could upgrade and was told Yes. So for a extra $300 I was able to upgrade to a 3 meal plan daily for my wife and I . We were able to use 2 of those for dinners at Disney's top restaurants every day and the extra was used for lunch @ a quick service or reg. restaurants. If you like chocolate cake and a good burger, go over to the boardwalk and try the Big River Grille and Brewing works. For Steak, Le Cellier in Canada(EPCOT) has the best steaks.

14. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

We had one of those also.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

I just got back yesterday. We stayed at the Saratoga Springs tree house villas. I don't want to see another bus for quite a while.

Stay on the loop if possible. Other than that I really don't want to talk about Disney World for quite a while.

16. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

In all honesty your question is to vague and as shown already books have been written on this topic.

To keep this somewhat short, I have stayed at hundreds of hotels, resorts, cruises, hospices, etc around the world. In my opinion Disney sets the standard in quality and benefit. If anything at all is not up to par you tell them and they fix it.

With that said if I was visiting here first time I would stay at a disney hotel. But it is not mandatory. Yes on property bus, trams, etc are all Disney run and very easy to use. Off property the public transportation system in Orlando BLOWS! But if you have a car then feel free to stay anywhere in Orlando. There are signs everywhere so driving around is a breeze.

If you have any specific questions I'll try to help.

17. Ironbar

Ironbar

Hello! 10 year old daughter who loves Disney! And none of us have ever been East of the Rockies let alone all the way to Florida!

18. Restless28

Restless28

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

19. steve1988

steve1988

I went to Disneyworld when I was in elementary school, so I can't really comment on prices. I believe we stayed at the Contemporary Resort. I remember the monorail was very convenient, and I would want to avoid taking the bus. As others have said, the lines were pretty extensive.

I would highly recommend going to MGM. After 12 years, it is the one place that I can clearly remember. It will be fun for any age (assuming you like movies).

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

On what?