Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Your the devil
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of encrypting my whole hard drive. What I want is to enter in a password on bootup and thats it. If I press the reset switch then I have to enter in the password again on bootup. Without it the whole hard disk in encrypted. Is this do-able?
I have never really played with encryption before so I am a total noob at this. Any points or tutorials or anything at all?

·
Registered
245 Posts
We use PointSec at work. You must enter the PointSec password everytime you reboot. One thing I know, do not forget your password. Either Pointsec or Admin. Once you encrypt the drive, all the cool little tools to edit the admin password off line don't work. It also takes several hours to install and is not tolerant of disk errors.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hmm I dunno if you can do this with Windows; I know you can do it in Linux.

The two most popular ways in Linux are:
1. Fully encrypt the disk and have it require a password at boot to unlock (what you're looking for): http://learninginlinux.wordpress.com/2008/04/23/installing-ubuntu-804-with-full-disk-encryption/

2. Full disk encryption that requires you to have a USB stick in with a "password file" (think a "key" to unlock your computer):
http://mazeoflies.com/articles/2008/06/09/ubuntu-hard-drive-encryption-with-external-key

You would need to wipe your hard drive first though; I don't know of any way to retroactively encrypt a drive.

·
Your the devil
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive been looking at truecrypt.com It seems you can encrypt your whole drive. Is there a hit in system performance to do this?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My first question would be, do you really need the whole filesystem encrypted?

Most people are getting overly complex. A simple BIOS password ( for bootup) and just encryption for the "user files ( partition or directory ) " is pretty much all that most users need.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We use Safe Boot at work. Seems to work ok.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Truecrypt is the bomb!

Doesn't slow stuff down that I've noticed, but I've run no tests.
+1000

I use Truecrypt everyday.

Encrypt files and USB drives.

·
Your the devil
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first question would be, do you really need the whole filesystem encrypted?

Most people are getting overly complex. A simple BIOS password ( for bootup) and just encryption for the "user files ( partition or directory ) " is pretty much all that most users need.

Bios passwords are easy to get around.
With true crypt from what I read you can have it make a bootloader that does the same thing as a bios password but is encrypted and virtually impossiable to get around.
If I was starting fresh with a new pc I would go with just encrypting data onto cd's. But since I have 50+ gigs of data already, I dont know exactly what is where or what is on my computer.
If I just encrypt the system partition with this, would that also make data on the other partition impossible to get to if someone took my pc?

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
so how would you get around the BIOS? Unless you remove the battery which would require physical access, BIOS protected passwords are very secured.

·
Annoying Member
2,201 Posts
so how would you get around the BIOS? Unless you remove the battery which would require physical access, BIOS protected passwords are very secured.
Yes it requires physical access ... BIOS password are not secure, in most cases you only have to move a jumper to clear it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My company uses PointSec for all company laptops. Since I don't want to use one of our licenses, I use TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org) for all of my personal machines.

TrueCrypt is the way to go for a personal machine. It's free (open source) and is updated regularly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts