Dish Network vs Direct tv

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr King, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Mr King

Mr King XD40 Service

pro's and con's please?

2. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I switched to Dish nearly 2 years ago. It was part of a bundle - land line, DSL, and Sat TV. Up until then I had been using Direct.

I'm going back to Direct in May when my 2-year commitment is up.

Dish has an aggravating delay when changing channels - 2-3 seconds. Direct was immediate. I've heard from some other GT'ers that their Direct also has the delay. It may be the newer boxes. I still have the old box so I'm going to talk to Direct and if they will guarantee immediate channel changes, I'll go back to them.

I still use VCRs. There's a special consideration that makes them work for me. I have two homes - one for work and one for weekends. I only have sat TV at one. I can tape shows at one house for use at the other.

Dish allows me to tape from the primary box - but not the alternate box. Direct didn't have any problem taping with either box.

If it weren't for those two issues, I would just stay with Dish and save the $20/month the bundle affords me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010

3. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Newest firmware in ditectv DVR's allows you to share program if both are connected to your home network. You can also plug in an external hard drive to increase storage capacity, and move it from one dvr to the other.

Been with ditectv for 3.5 years straight, but used them for a few years before that after a failed attempt trying out comcast.

4. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

The only issue I've had with direct is it goes out when it rains. So much for their commercial of functioning through a hurricane.

5. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Where are you located? The further north you are, the more the weather affects it.

6. RenoF250

RenoF250

I have Dish, parents have DirecTV. I think Dish has a much better program guide and DVR. Both have horrible picture quality but I would probably say DirecTV is slightly better. I think I am going to drop Dish and switch to using the internet for TV.

7. Cool Impala Glocker

Cool Impala Glocker NRA Member

Was with Direct for all but 3 months. Hated their UGI and remote style layouts. That was over 12 years ago. Studied what the difference was between them.

Direct is MORE sports oriented. Has tons and tons of sports. Dish is more family/learning oriented altho have some neat sport packages like baseball..basketball..hockey and I believe NOW soccer. I've been with Dish for 12 years. No complaints so far.

I currently have a 722 setup which enables me to have Hi Def on tv #1 on my hd tv...and tv #2 is standard digital transmission. Everything works out and suits my needs. YMMV.

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Exactly - the lower the angle of the dish. So, the more clouds it needs to shoot through.

I had fewer outages with Direct than Dish.

9. Bruce H

Bruce H

Started out with Primestar. Went with Direct when they bought primestar. been with them awhile. No problems. Heavy rain will turn all the little dish tv's off. Have watched friends Dish and really can't see any difference.

10. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

+1
    Dish cost more and has less programs and channels I like.

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Have both in my immediate family, I prefer DirectTV.

As mentioned, one thing that irritates me is the slower menu system of Dish (especially after using DirectTV).

I have used DirectTV's customer service, and although I was a bit hot at the time, they were professional and took care of the problem.

12. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I've had directv for about 10years now. I've never had an issue other than no reception in really heavy downpours. This weekend directv has had issues with cbs and fox local channels. not sure why.

13. fireguy129

fireguy129

Horrible picture quality? I've got dtv, not really impressed with the dvr, slow as molasses in january to take channel numbers.