close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Disgusting hate crime roils N.J.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Wal-Mart Paging Victims: "It Was Disgusting"
    Man announced: "Attention Wal-Mart customers: All black people leave the store now" over store's PA system
    (I'm still waiting to see if felony charges will be filed, as they were against the "Cottonball Two" http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192592)
    By VINCE LATTANZIO
    Updated 9:48 AM EDT, Thu, Mar 18, 2010

Two South Jersey Wal-Mart customers who heard a racist message broadcast over the store's public address system say the whole ordeal is no laughing matter.

Sheila Ellington and Virginia Tinsley were shopping inside the Washington Township Wal-Mart along Rt. 42 in Turnersville, N.J. just before 5 p.m. on Sunday when they say a man came over the PA system and said: "Attention Wal-Mart customers: All black people leave the store now."

"It was a disgusting comment," Ellington said. "Once I heard that, I was absolutely shocked and appalled."

The man was very calm when he broadcast the message, according to Tinsley.

"He said it as if he had a million dollars for us," the Washington Township resident said. "He wasn't nervous, [he was] really calm."

The women said the store's manager immediately addressed his shock about the incident to a large crowd of angry shoppers who gathered in the front of the store. He then made an apology over the intercom.

Tinsley said her husband then called 911 to report what had happened.

Washington Township Police and the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.

There are 25 phones throughout the 206,000 square-foot supercenter that have access to the paging system, according to the Gloucester County Prosecutors Office.

Officials say they reviewed the store's surveillance system and did not find anyone using the phones. But they do say some of the phones are outside of the camera's reach.

Bill Mitchell, a former Wal-Mart employee who says he worked at the Washington Township store for five years, told NBC Philadelphia that anyone could walk up to one of the phones and make a page.

"You go there, tap the phone, hit the key a couple of times and it goes 'beep, beep, beep' and and you just intercom them that way," he said.

Mitchell took pictures of the phones used in the store. They are located throughout the shopping area and have instructions clearly printed on the front. However, Mitchell says he doesn't recall instructions on how to use the PA system being printed on the phone.

"They could do better things to secure those phones, but they don't follow those protocols," Mitchell said. "That's Wal-Mart."

But the women aren't sure it was just a shopper pulling a prank.

"If it were a prank, there's only one person laughing and it's certainly not us," Ellington said.

Almost 700 people work at the 24-hour store, most of who are part-time employees, officials said.

Wal-Mart issued this statement Wednesday:

"We're just as appalled by this as our customers. Whoever did this is just wrong and acted in an inappropriate manner. Clearly, this is completely unacceptable to us and to our customers."

Store management is now working to limit which phones can access the PA system.

As for Ellington and Tinsley, they are now boycotting the store and hope someone will be brought to justice soon.

"I think they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," Ellington said.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...aging-Victims-It-Was-Disgusting-88264047.html

Arrest Made in Wal-Mart Intercom Case
    Accused suspect is from Atlantic County, N.J., police say
    By VINCE LATTANZIO
    Updated 11:40 PM EDT, Fri, Mar 19, 2010

A man has been arrested for allegedly announcing a hateful message over a South Jersey Wal-Mart's intercom, police tell NBC Philadelphia.

The unidentified man, who is from Atlantic County, N.J., was taken into custody Friday evening, police said.

Officials are staying tight-lipped on the arrest, but more details are expected to be released at a press conference Saturday.

Several shoppers have been boycotting the retailer since last Sunday when a man accessed the Washington Township, N.J. store's public address system and announced: "Attention Wal-Mart customers: All black people leave the store now."

The store immediately admonished the remarks and issued an apology to shoppers in the store and then through the media several days later.

In the wake of the incident, angry and offended customers lambasted the store for the ease at which someone could make a storewide page through several phones inside the store.

Wal-Mart said Friday that an internal investigation uncovered new evidence suggesting that a shopper may have made the page.

Washington Township Police and the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office have been investigating the case as a possible hate crime.

Authorities have previously said the person responsible could be charged with harassment and bias intimidation.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Arrest-Made-in-Wal-Mart-Intercom-Case-88704842.html

2. keeper85

keeper85

Why boycot the store for what a customer did?

3. pgg00

pgg00

So did anyone leave? :dunno: :whistling:

4. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

My guess would be a statewide ban on instore intercoms is in New Jersey's immediate future.

Do it for the children.:supergrin:

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

First, I don't think it was 'hateful' unless he used the 'N' word.

I think it was a silly prank in bad taste.

Being arrested for something like that reminds me of Communist Russia.

We have criminalized offensive speech in this country. Sad.

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Stupid and offensive thing to say, but criminal...? Or is he being charged with trespass, etc... for unauthorized use of the paging phone.

And overreaction by the shoppers. Me thinks they're trying to put pressure on the store to hand out some discount coupons by way of apology. The paging phones should be reasonably easy to access so employees can announce an emergency (fire, etc...) or that the Blue Light Special is in aisle 7.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  7. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

I sure am glad that someone called 911 about an inappropriate comment over the intercom.

8. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

Welcome to Washington Township, Gloucester County, NJ.

I work in a neighboring town. "Township", as it's referred to, is generally a large, upscale heavily Italian residential area with no (that I know of) real black areas. The cops from my town consider their cops pretty boys and they consider us uncultured ruffians. I have a few close friends with that department.

This Walmart is located on 42, and draws alot of shoppers from the nearby/neighboring Gloucester Township/Lindenwold/Clementon areas where there's ALOT of section 8 housing relocated from Camden.

So there's the "outrage", and that's who's "boycotting" Walmart.

9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Sure, but if any other color was placed in there, such as white, then it would have been a non issue to the others, eh? It sucks but there is some of that kind of thinking around here.

Every once in a while I get the ol' "just because I am black or whatever, you are hassling me..." attitude, and I have to remind them I am an equal opportunity turd flusher.

10. Straight Pipe

Straight Pipe

"Discusting HATE CRIME roils N.J."

Where's the "crime"?

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Seriously. Isn't abuse of the 911 system a crime?? :dunno:

12. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Since when is free speech a crime? Punished according to store policy should suffice.

13. jaklcrow

jaklcrow

14. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

15. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

Fixed.

16. zysus

zysus

Sad Yes. Criminal No.

And people wonder why 911 takes so long to respond... cause they are busy dealing with stupid people.

Ban the person from the store. Charge them with trespass if they return. That's all. If you can't catch them... too bad. Live with it or fix it with a technical solution.

17. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Pretty much got it right.

18. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Aaaah, flashback. Section 8 and Housing Authorities nationwide. HUD = federal monies for LE OT programs. When I worked uniform, I made out very well on such OT programs that I didn't even have to shop at Walmart anymore. :supergrin:

Alright, maybe a bit of exaggeration on my part. But I $$$like$$$ Section 8 and HAs. It's good for business.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

How on God's green earth is this a crime?

Being a doofus isn't illegal.

What a couple of pathetic losers to cry to 911 about this.

A few years ago Ontario OH PD had a call on vandalism at Taco Bell. Some ruffian had altered the sunflower sign to read: "Taco Bell now hiring ******s"... Pretty low class of someone but hardly a crime and hardly worth getting upset over.

20. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Yeah, personally I don't think it's a chargeable offense, at least for a biased crime indictable offense (read felony). It might fall under a disorderly conduct offense, such as engaging in or inciting tumultuous behavior. But this would be a disorderly (read misdemeanor) and the county prosecutor's office would not be involved. This also might fall under harassment, which I think is more fitting.

My bet...since we are the People's Republik of NJ, there is pressure from the county prosecutor to make this a biased crime due to political reasons.
    NJ even has a biased incident form:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/dcj/obccr/pdfs/biasincidentrpt.pdf