close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discussion with HR Director - Company Policy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanaT, Oct 23, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Yesterday I was in the US office and will be there couple of weeks.

Anyways, the HR director gives me the company policies and rules. This is led to a discussion about things I disagreed with.

The two big ones were the weapons policy and the alcohol policy.

The first thing in the weapons policy was that no weapons were allowed on company property without exception. That didnt make me happy. The next one said that as a condition of employment that the company could search personal effects and vehicles for weapons if suspected and refusal would be termination. That made more more than unhappy.

Next up was alcohol. It said that alcohol was not allowed to be consumed on work time and people cant be under the influence on work time. I am OK with that. Then it said that alcohol, like weapons, could not be on company property. This I have a problem with. If I want to give someone a bottle of wine at work, that is 100% acceptable. There is a difference between having a bottle of alcohol and drinking.

The HR director told about how these are industry standard policies, everyone does it, blah, blah.

As I am always right, I told her I didn't agree with them and will not agree to follow those policies. This of course led to yet more discussions and her responses to me. She was telling me how not allowing weapons reduces workforce violence (no gun signs stop shootings you know). I remained right and said I won't agree to this.

It will be fun the next couple of weeks.

2. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Free market, baby.

It sure ain't industry standard, at least not down here.

3. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Probably won't take a couple of weeks.

4. RimfireMan

RimfireMan

You don't like the policies, leave, and get another job. Their house, their rules.

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Why is that?

6. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

I would imagine that your refusal to agree to comply with company policies will result in termination. Doesn't matter how you feel about the policies.

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Probably so. I don't think the HR person was telling him the rules and policies so that he could argue her down.

8. droidfire

droidfire

(deleted) your rules, i'm rick james, (deleted)

9. Sharkey

Sharkey

You say you came to the US office? Do you allow weapons and alcohol at your other international locations? The policies are always in favor of the business and can and will be used against you for termination. That said, I worked somewhere that had a weapons policy and carried for 1.5 years before I left for another jot that requires I be armed. :)

Arguing about it with the HR person was probably not a good idea. I imagine the policy of alcohol on property is not enforced around Christmas time. Also, I think the courts have ruled here where I live that weapons in your personal vehicle in their lot is ok. Might be a basis for a suit if you were fired but I don't know about your state law.

10. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Good luck Dana - I know how those can be.

For one of the companies I contract with, a substance abuse center, they do not allow alcohol consumption or possession (obviously) nor weapons on the campus.

However, Texas law stops them from being able to say that we cannot have weapons in our car, since our Castle Doctrine extends to our cars and property.

That said, I traditionally give bottles of wine and liquor as presents around the Holidays (who doesnt appreciate a good drink as a gift?). My last employeer leered at it (baptist owned), but it never was a major problem as long as you didnt imbibe on work time.

How crazy are they about the gun policy? Will they run dogs through the parking lot or wand you? If not, concealed is concealed in my book - I dont think you're the person who would be bragging about carrying, so as long as there are no accidental exposures and they do not pat people down, you're probably safe.

11. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Interesting....Surprised she didn't dismiss you there on the spot. As with our company, the same rules apply, however, we have community parking...meaning it is shared with other businesses and they don't control it.

I know here, if you don't agree to the 'Code of Conduct' policies, they give you 2 weeks to think it over.....then the decision is made, by you....you play by their rules or not.

Definitely keep us posted.

:wavey:

red

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

You might as well put out your resume now, and interview for another job, just to go thru the same thing somewhere else :whistling:

Seriously, sometimes you got to shut up and nod in agreement, so no one would suspect that you are breaking the rules later.

By playing activist, you just put a big target on your back, and you will be fast tracked out the door.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

It depends upon how you define "they".

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I am really surprised at some of the responses.

15. redbaron007

What's surprising?

red

16. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

That so many say to look for a new job and go along with it.

17. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim come get some

Times is hard. Job and paycheck > carrying a gun to work

Sent from my Android

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I disagreed with the alcohol policy too.

Actually, the PTO/vacation policy I didnt like so much either.

19. redbaron007

What did you expect? As with my company, it's black/white...no negotiations....you either go with it or you don't and look elsewhere.

Unless your company has a small leadership circle that will grant exceptions to the rules.....it's settled....their rules rule.

Are you expecting them to say..."well, since you object, we'll waive the rules for you?" :dunno:

red

20. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

I guess it all depends on who hired DanaT and under what conditions.....that is the person who can fire him. I was hired by the President/Owner of the Company and the HR dept did not like that......too bad lady, you did not hire me and cannot fire me so lose the attitude. A VP tired to push me around and I said with all due resect mam, I don't work for you or your dept. The President put her in her place. I really liked working there before he sold the Company to Corporate America. I stayed on for 20 years and moved on once all the good people were gone. Maybe that's the problem with America these days.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012