Discussion on Tip #1

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fireglock, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Well the first Tip from the Pros post has been up for several days, any thoughts or questions?

2. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

I Was looking for the magic bullet not practic practice practice....... :)

3. Fireglock

Now John, you know proper practice is how you find that magic bullet. :)

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

How about a "Silver Bullet full of Prune Juice " for the old guy.;N ;N ;N ;N ;N The Devil made me say it. ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

5. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

And all this time I thought it was spend, spend, spend and upgrade, upgrade, upgrade????

Has to be a better way, we have 32 deg and freezing rain today sorry but I am not going out to practice in that.

6. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

well,....I'm not a pro, but reviewing what the "fundamentals of marksmanship" are, or at least what I think they are :) :

grip
    stance
    trigger squeeze
    sight picture
    sight alignment
    follow through
    mind set

..my biggest improvements came after a fellow named Chris LeFort (Pacific NW shooter) coached me on,.. where to put my thumbs.

I point them essentially at the target, the firing hand thumb on top off the non-firing hand thumb, which rests along the frame. This improved my "grip", giving me a stable platform to squeeze the trigger, ballanced my stance, and allows the quickest recovery of the muzzle rise back onto the next target, and gives me a natural quick 1st shot on target.

Jay

7. Fireglock

Not good practice weather at all.

I have some opinions on where attitude and confidence fit into this puzzle. Anybody else feel these are important?

8. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

After I did a little analysis on my scoring from the first few matches I learned the value of slowing down to get a faster score.

Attitude and confidence played a big part because I KNEW that good hits would translate into better scores. I had confidence that my accuracy would improve if I slowed down and took the time needed to make good hits. I came into the match feeling good that I would do better. That translated into winning some money.

I have been lucky in that the Am/LE category has a bunch of good shooters but not as good as Am/Civ. My scores have allowed me to consistently place in the money in the last four outings. More confidence.

If I make it to Richmond I KNOW I will do well and that translates to a relaxed match. :)

Now if I can actually practice the stages I will start to get up to speed of those Am/Civ shooters in A class.

9. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

FireGlock,
    I agree, "Attitude and Confidence" are important parts of the puzzle. When we want to gain confidence in our shooting abilities, we practice more.

Once we gain more confidence in our abilities, our impression of competition improves and we begin to "practice" more to improve.

Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing with the group.

10. MFinch

MFinch Guest

All very good points and some excellent tips from Bobby. A few personal thoughts around "practice".....

* Whenever possible, approach practice just like a match. All the way from the ammo you shoot, to how you go to the line, load your gun and concentrate as you shoot through the stage.

* Use a timer and preferably a partner. Record your results and be aware of any things you did really good (understand why and how so that you can repeat them) and be aware of anything that needs improvement. This is especially important when the same problems come up time and again. An example might be dropping shots out of the "A" zone at 25 yds. Perhaps some increased dry firing and focus on accuracy drills will bring it back in line.

* Don't spend time "warming up" before shooting through the stages. Be able to shoot cold and on demand...just like at the match.

* Use your recorded results to monitor progress.

* Like Jay mentioned....focus on having a good foundation and work on the basics.

* Don't get discouraged and don't hesitate to contact some of the better shooters with questions. Thanks to Bobby, Clem, Jerry and Dan for answering all my questions. We share a lot of info and bounce ideas off of each other frequently.

Good shooting to all.

11. Fireglock

I think you need a positive attitude to win. If YOU think you're not going to or can't win, you'll be right! First you have to think positively, know that YOU can win.

I do my best when I go to a match confident I'm prepared. Practice, good positive practice gives me that confidence. Confidence makes us comfortable and takes the edge off. Anybody that's watched Bobby, Dale, TJC, Philip or Tony to name a few, shoot knows they are comfortable and RELAXED. They show not an ounce of stress before or during their shooting. That's confidence. They show confidence when they win and even when they don't.

This is part of the mental preparation that goes with your physical preparation. At least I think it does. :) Practice is the key to it all.

Good ideas all, I think this is a good exchange of information. Like Mike says, we share information and bounce ideas off each other at matches and with e-mail.

12. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

Shooting is: 85 % mental
    10 % physical
    5 % equipment