close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Discrimination at school

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by stiletto raggio, Nov 8, 2004.

1. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

I know that when I was in high school, I was made to feel ashamed of my love for shooting. This is in rural Indiana. I kept my hobby on the DL, especially after Columbine, for fear of some paranoid teacher or administrator thinking I was going to be violent. I was a pretty popular kid in high school, but only toward the end, and I have kept my ties to some of the "outsiders" (i.e. intelligent kids who didn't buy into stupid social games) strong. It seems that people think that anyone who has an interest in guns and shows it is abnormal. I tell people like this to note that none of the school-shooters or gang-bangers are IPSC types (thank God).

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Fortunately, things have changed. At West Point, saying you want to kill someone and showing a proficiency in the necessary skills is downright encouraged. God bless the US Army.

2. SabreWolf

SabreWolf

Down in my neck of the woods, if young men don't talk about firearms they are thought to be weird.

3. Willard

Willard Who, me?

Yeah, what he said!

4. TomSplasky

TomSplasky Encase Elegance

5. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

I just made it a point to be a good example of a gun enthusiast.

I was involved in a youth shooting club, I talked about firearms with those who were curious, and I seriously downplayed the "badass" attitude that a lot of people think guns entail.

If you are responsible about it, and if you are responsible in life- most people will see that and take it at face value.

-out

6. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

In situations where guns are freakish, or even if they arent (super common here) it is sometimes best to keep a low profile.

Talk is fine, but then too many people know about our problem (haha).

This is very important if you keep guns in your vehicle.

7. sundance43.5

sundance43.5

When I was a senior 3 years ago, I kind of kept my love of shooting on the DL, but none of my friends cared. I even took a few of them shooting, and they really enjoyed it.

I'm in rural Illinois, BTW. I agree with whoever posted above about Columbine, those dirtbags really did a disservice to those of us younger folks who enjoy the shooting sports. Now, if you're young and interested in guns, some people automatically assume you're a school shooter.

8. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I went to a private school, and I took issues of SHooting Times and Guns & Ammo and the like with me to read in my spare time. A few others at my school were hunters, and a couple of teachers too. The school I went to is the Christian school run by the church I go to, so my teachers all already knew me. They knew I wasn't gonna hurt nobody. No one at my school cared. In fact we discussed guns and hunting without anyone batting an eyelash. Makes Me SOOOOOO Glad I went to a private school.

;g

;8 ;I

9. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I still have people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that I like guns and hunting. The comment I hate the most beyond all is when I am getting ready to buy a new gun and my co-workers are like "oh geez lookout" or "that is all we need to have is you running around with a gun". The part that I find hilarious is that I carry sometimes at work and not a single damn person has any idea that I am armed. The other thing I hate is that when I go out to clubs and bars my friends are always like why do you have that thing with you. (That thing makes it sound like it is a ticking time bomb) My response is simply why don't you have one with you or I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

10. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

I dated a girl once whose ex-boyfriend used to point guns at her (jokingly) and make jokes about shooting people and other stupid, immature crap like that... She was terrified when she found out that I was an avid outdoorsman/hunter/shooter.

I decided (after she told me the story) that I just wouldn't bring up guns with her for any reason.

One night after I took her home, she hugged me and said, "Is that a gun?" I didn't want to lie to her, so I said, "Yeah... it is." She asked if I had always had it with me when taking her out etc. etc. I told her that I had. She gave me a really funny look and said, "You know I trust you, right?"

Fast-forward two weeks. She's at the range with me blasting away, and even helped me clean my guns when we got home.

Most people are only afraid of guns because they hear only negative things about them, or because they are ignorant. When my friends find out (very few of them know) that I carry and shoot a lot, they are usually extremely surprised. This makes me happy, because they are almost always interested in firearms afterwards. Almost all of my close friends have CCWs now.

Never pass up a chance to educate or show people that guns aren't bad, or scary or dangerous- if you're mature and responsible about it, and if they already trust you anyways- you should be able to show them how it really is.

11. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I was greeting people at my church like I usually do, and I happened to be wearing my derringer belt buckle that Sunday night. Well I shook hands with one elderly lady, a fairly new member of our church, she asked me why I was wearing a gun. I told her that it's just a belt buckle. I then asked "What's wrong with liking guns???" She just shook her head and aid "No." I asked her again, and she said the same thing. So I assume she had no real reason for disliking guns.

;g

;8 ;I

12. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Concealed carry means keeping it concealed. No one should ever know that you are packing.

Some people will never get used to firearms, thats just the way it is.

13. Roddy

Roddy

When I was in high school I remeber a lot of people talked about guns. Movies and video games with lots of shooting were always talked about. But if I said something like the model of a firearm someone was talking about, everyone thought that was weird. I always thought it was funny when people would say something like Uzi's are cool. I would be like yeah I've shot a few, they're pretty neat.

I remember watching some movie at a friends house and he said "Oh this is where the guy sets his supergun!" I saw it and said oh that's an HK Mark 23, SOCOM type pistol in .45 ACP. It's cool cuz it's a double stack .45, and he's got a silencer too. THEN people would think I was weird.

But if soemone I said cool car I knew lots of people who could go into deatail about the car. I didn't think they were weird.

14. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

I know exactly what you mean.

I used to always get looks when I corrected people on their "firearm lingo." Or when someone would say "My Uncle let me shoot his XXXXX and they are SOOOO awesome!" Normally, the gun in question was a non-quality piece of crap lol. (Think Tec-9, Saturday-Night-Special type guns here)

One of my buddies is a never-ending source of amusement. He will hear someone say "Oh, yeah XXXXX are good guns..." and automatically, in his mind, they are the ultimate firearm and he MUST have one. I don't know how much money he's blown on crappy guns, but he finally picked up a good one and is starting to realize the error of his ways.

Note, I said "crappy," not "cheap."

15. blake1169

blake1169

I also went to a private school and we used to have our shotguns in our trucks during dove season. a few other guys and me used to hunt before and after school. no one cared as long as they were locked in the secured parking lot. I geuss that is the private school thing again. The teachers all know you and your family so there is no perceived threat/danger. If the teachers are doing their jobs and getting to know the kids then conversations about hunting are nothing to be alarmed about.

16. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

In government class I was an avid 2nd Amendment supporter, and the things I said in class actually reached a few others.

17. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Oops. That was meant to be an edit, not a quote. Oh well. You get the Idea.;f

18. younggenious

younggenious

Yep, same here! I especially loved to give comprehensive speeches on gun control and the 2nd amendment in every class I could (English, Government, sociology, history, etc.). I know I definately had an impact on relatively many people.

19. scooter12589

scooter12589

I just moved to Canada From texas. I have not thought twice about discussing gun topics at school. I have gotten a few weird looks etc. but theyare starting to accept it and some have taken an intrest. I had to do an oral presentation with a visual aide and compare the characters from to kill a mockingbird, so I used long guns. and also I had to do another visual aide and presentation so about Modern Monsters so I molded a cave and Did terrorism. ;j

20. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

inever had a prob the wierd kids were the ones who didnt know anything about guns to me because they were such a big part of my life with huntin and all alot of my friends that didnt grow up with guns were curious and many still are ive taken several to the range. GOD im gald i live in the south~2 ;+