Discovered I have a serious waterline leak!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, Jul 3, 2020.

1. davethehiker

davethehiker

My water bill jumped from $80 per month to $490 per month. My wife just paid the big bill and did not notice the big jump the first time it occurred. The following month the water company called and left a massage on the answer machine informing me of high water usage. I looked at the bills and confirmed the big increase in water usage.

I turned off the water line coming into the house and went to the water meter and saw that a little red triangle was rotating. I could not notice movement the numbers indexing on an odometer like like device but the red triangle was spinning pretty fast. I noticed that there was a valve on the meter. Using a pair of big channel locks, I turned that valve 90 degrees; this brought two holes together that looked like they were made for a pad lock to lock the water shut. After I turned that valve the red triangle stopped spinning.

I phoned a local plumber that has done some work on my home in the past and who I trust. He told me that if the red triangle is turning that it means I have a leak in the water line leading to my house. The plumber ask me if I bought the insurance for water line protection. I told him that "I did not." My house is at least 150 yards up a steep hill from the meter. The plumber asked me if I had a copper water line or plastic. He told me that that if it was copper there is an instrument that can locate the leak but if it's plastic. The leak can not be found. He told me that he would need to dig up my line until he found the leak. He told that he could come to my house early next week with his back hoe.

Now I regretted not opting to buy the $9.25 per month water line protection insurance. I remembered a conversation I had with my wife and telling her not to pay for the for that extra insurance. I looked closely at the water bill and notice that wife had ignored me and has been paying for the water line insurance, in spite of me telling her not to. :hearts: God bless her!

After an hour of dealing with telephone robots and getting no where, I started to curse in Polish into the phone. I really do not speak Polish but when I was kid our Polish neighbor taught me some Polish phrases. I have found that often helps defeat telephone robots and gets me to a human. It worked! I got in touch with an actual human being. They are sending someone Monday to locate the leak. I called the local plumber back and told him that I discovered that I do have insurance for the waterline. He told me that the water company has their own people that they prefer to use.

When my house was first built they did not have water service and used well water. Later when a waterline became available, they hooked into the county water line. I think I can turn I few valves and flip an electrical switch and activate that old pump. At least I'll have water to flush to toilets and fill the bath tub. I'm not sure that old pump still works? In the mean time I made a trip to Sam's Club and purchased a lot of bottled water.

2. pgg00

pgg00

I sure hope you told your wife thank you

ede, flyover, buddyd157 and 5 others like this.

3. davethehiker

davethehiker

Oh, I did! And covered her with kisses.:hearts:

4. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Get the old pump up and running,just to have a back up.Water is life.'08.

larry_minn, cbetts1, G19Tony and 2 others like this.
  5. davethehiker

davethehiker

I think you are right. This will be an opportunity to test out that old well and water system, even if I need to call the plumber back. I suspect that the well water is hard with minerals in the water because of some white deposits I have seen on old shower heads. The county water is much better. It's a deep well, full of minerals. Still, that's better than no water. I'm in old coal mining country in PA. They have recently abandoned the old mines, turned off the pumps and the mines have filled up with water. Much deeper down they are now fracking for gas but I don't think that hurts the water in the wells. I'll soon find out.

I already have a big whole house backup electric power generator, powered by the natural gas they suck out from deep under me. I may as well make sure that I also have a working backup water source. Then I have to option of really getting off the grid.

It's been difficult to find good cuts of meat at the grocery stores. Lately I have been buying filet mignons directly from the local farmers. Yum!

pittpa and pgg00 like this.
  6. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Great news about the insurance.

Otherwise just look for a wet spot or eventual sink hole.

I had a tenant call me to say he hated to bother me but water was coming out of the front yard. No bother, he prevented a sink hole by calling.

The water loss was not metered as the meter is inside the house but it still was $2 grand to dig it up.

7. JMS

JMS 02

I’m just a bit concerned about her paying the bill without questioning the large jump.

Sfaql, Wake_jumper, cbetts1 and 3 others like this.
  8. NoStress

NoStress

larry_minn, Jake514, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  9. DAKA

DAKA

Glad she finally caught it, but didn't she notice the jump in the first bill? Still no matter what good for her...

10. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

That's just water under the bridge now....

nrajeff, sas-G19, Berto and 7 others like this.
  11. glock collector

glock collector

Think of the ammo 490.00 would have bought...that'd be like 500 rounds of blazer nowadays..

12. papershoot

papershoot

I had one over a year ago. The driveway is 100 yards uphill to the house. I noticed the water running on the ground. The wife mentioned how she saw the propane truck almost get stuck when it went off of the driveway. That was where the leak originated. The propane company sent a sketchy looking guy out to fix the leak. He fixed it. The water bill was just slightly more. We converted to NG last year, so no more dealing with propane companies.

cbetts1 and Caver 60 like this.
  13. davethehiker

davethehiker

Me too! We are both getting older. She is 79 and I'm 80. She has been doing a lot of silly forgetful things lately. I'm a bit worried.

Tirian2530, 9jeeps, cbetts1 and 2 others like this.
  14. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

We have both the water line and sewer line insurance through the city. Rates are very reasonable. Tree roots take out sewer lines in our area. House built in 1957. I think they used connecting tile that will break.

15. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I just got my first house and installing the water line was one of the biggest pains I've ever experienced. If it breaks I'm just calling someone and not even going to think of doing it myself and I'm a DIY guy.

davethehiker likes this.
  16. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Bless your Wife for sure!!!

Tirian2530 likes this.
  17. davethehiker

davethehiker

I used to be a DIY kind of guy. At my prior house the well was only about 10 yards from the place the water line entered the house. One day I noticed a wet spot in the lawn. I dug down and discovered that a sharp pointy stone under the plastic pipe had wore a hole into the pipe. I fixed that myself, but this time I'm calling the man.

I have become good friends with the man that built my house and who I bought it from. In a little while I'm going to call him and ask his advice about how to switch over to the back up well. I think it just a matter of turning a few valves, and throwing two big switches. I don't understand why there are TWO switches going to the pump. Then I'm going to call the plumber back and have him disinfect my well, lines, and change the filter, check the pressure tank, etc. I'm getting too old for doing that stuff myself and I can't take my money to the grave with me.

The man who built my house worked in construction and this was to be his dream house. Sadly he got a divorce and was forced to sell the house. Since I bought I have found a few mistakes he made and fixed them. I also made a few improvements. It breaks his heart every time he sees the house because he wishes he still lived here. He is a good, kind man and still gives me a hand now and then. The poor guy is just unlucky at picking women.

18. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

Lots of lessons to be learned here.

water line insurance? Might be worthwhile

knowing what you are getting into with picking a wife? Do your due diligence like you life depends on it

davethehiker likes this.
  19. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

My wife and I work too much to do much DIY. Our lawnmowing and weedeating is a full day job and that's with us having a commercial zero turn. I just dont have time to do alot of stuff so I agree with you 100%

davethehiker likes this.
  20. ked

ked

Yea, but what did you do for HER? :couch:

ZekerMan and davethehiker like this.