close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Disconected cell phones can still call 911

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by E-Scapes, Jan 24, 2010.

1. E-Scapes

E-Scapes

I was watching the best defense on tv a while back, and in the episode a scenario was depicted where an intruder entered their house and they had to run up stairs grab a cell phone where ever it is located and then get there hand gun from a safe. I was thinking about it I have like 10 old cell phones laying around my house if i strategically placed them on chargers of course that would cut down on time spent remembering where i left my one and only cell phone.

2. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

3. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

And, you're just learning this now. How's that cave you've been living in?:supergrin:

4. W4CNG

W4CNG

If the phone is 10 years old it may not be a Digital unit. All of the old A and B system (Bell System/Verizon) have all gone digital. If it is an early PCS from Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, it will be digital and should work. If it is an old Nextel unit it should work also, you just have to be in coverage or have bars. Charge, turn on and see what happens.

5. Ron_Miami

Ron_Miami

It would have to be a modern CDMA or GSM phone. The older analog and TDMA systems have been shut down.

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

As most folks change cell phones every 2 yrs you should have a couple that would work. I have kept old cell in my parents car (they didn't want cell phone) I feel that in MN if 70+ handicaped folks get broke down/stuck it IS a EMERGENCY.

7. ChucklesG21

ChucklesG21 CCW'ing a 21

My mother learned this lesson the "hard way." She was a Pre-K teacher for many years and people used to bring in old cell phones for the kids to play with. Well, obviously one of them still had battery life and one of the kids was playing with it and dialed 911. If memory serves me correctly it started ringing in the middle of play time and she picked up. Yup, it was the 911 dispatcher calling back to find out about the nature of the emergency. Now they make sure that the batteries and sim cards are removed before turning them over to the rug-rats. :winkie: