close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Disasters: Why Haiti? Why Third World Countries?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Not that I want to bring any bad luck upon the U.S. or any other non-third world country (I'm superstitious), but why do these terrible earth quakes and other natural disasters seem to hit the poorest of the poor countries on a regular basis? At least it seems that way to me. How sad.

2. kiole

kiole

well the United States gets hit with earthquakes quite often. The main difference is the building codes in the United States plus the wealth of our country allows us to build up to higher standards.

While a 5.0-7.0 earth quake in the United States does a decent amount of damage. In a place like Haiti it's catastrophic.

3. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

That's about it.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Do Cat 4 and 5 hurricanes qualify as natural disasters? I'm thinking Fran, Andrew and Katrina didn't hit third world countries.

5. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Well, look at a map of the world. Look at what percentage of the world is "third world" and what percentage of it is "first world." Then look at disasters. Ta-da. They don't ALL hit us, just like they don't ALL hit developing countries. We get earthquakes, tornadoes, and hurricanes just like everyone else does, and vice versa.

6. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

This is like asking why tornados always seem to hit trailer parks.

7. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I agree to a point (building codes, etc.) but for the most part I don't agree with your statement. Indonesia (tsumani), Bangladesh (cyclones), Indonesia and Philippines (massive floods), Iran/Afganistan/etc. (earthquakes). These horrible disasters seem to occur on a regular basis for these very poor countries.

8. napp32

napp32

I'm guessing it's just because God doesn't like those countries...ya know, sort of like California. :upeyes:

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I had a buddy who had this 10 minute class on how the setup of a trailer park started the wind in a circular pattern that then formed tornados. We had to give classes at the drop of a hat for however long they decided to make us give them in Instructor Pilot school. It always went over well.

10. skorper

skorper harborrat

Most of the earth is third world.

We have more than our fair share. We are a bigger, wealthier country and our population is more spread out.

There's nothing to this theory of yours. Really.

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I do understand your meaning, but it begs the question.

Are the disasters happening because of the people, or are the people just living in a place these disasters have always happened?

I think it has more to do with the second half of that question. The disasters happened a looooong time before the people lived there, and will I think, happen long after they're gone. Island nations just have to expect those sorts of things. And the Pacific is a terrible place to live if volcanoes are a concern.

It's just the way the world's put together.

12. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

The thing is, you don't hear about major natural disasters in "first world" developed countries as much as you do with third world nations. If these events are occurring in European countries, Canada, and Japan within the past 10 years then I'm not reading about it in the news. Recent disasters include China and South American countries as well. Again, it's the poorest of the poor that seem to get these disasters hitting them.

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Not really, it's the poorest places that do not have as many safeguards in place.

The Mississippi has not flooded its banks to the point of damage basically since there has been levies and dikes put in to minimize the flooding potential. Zaire doesn't have the money to put those precautions in.

14. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

That's an excellent point! I agree. Geography and geology have a lot to do with it, I'm sure.

15. hatrix

hatrix

Because nations don't develop when they're built along major fault lines.

16. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

You're right, most of the third world does cover much of the face of the earth and chances are these disasters will hit those parts of the earth more often just because of how much space they take up on our planet. Good point.

By the way, what's my "theory"? I never said I have a theory to why this things seem to happen.

17. Altaris

Altaris

Hurricanes and Earthquakes rarely happen in Europe is one reason. Another is that because of our higher standard of building codes, more money, etc. What are catastrophic disasters for other countries are more minor for us, and since when has anything minor been on the news. The news only wants to report the worst death and destruction, which occurs in the poorer places that have the weak Infrastructure.

While Ike and Katrina did a crazy amount of damage to TX and LA, it would have been 1000 times worse if that same storm hit a 3rd world country.

18. ipfreely123

ipfreely123 something witty CLM

That's an easy one. God doesn't like trailer parks.

19. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

One of the world's largest super-volcanoes is right in Yellowstone National Park.

If that sucker ever blows, you won't be asking why "Third World Countries"... most of the US will be in shambles...

This thread is pointless.

20. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I think you've just got selective hearing going on. Do a few google searches for "timelines of natural disasters" or something, and I think you'll be surprised at how they're spread out all over the place.

The one from the History Channel's own website shows, in chronological order, the Eastern Caribbean, Wisconsin/Michigan, Pennsylvania, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma/Texas/Great Plains, China, Florida Keys, Florida/Louisiana, Louisiana/Mississippi/Virginia, Bangladesh, Columbia, Yellowstone National Park, California, Bahamas/Southern United States, Chicago, Central America, Australia, Europe, Southern California, Southeast Asia, Hurricane Katrina/Gulf Coast, Southeast Europe/Greece, Myanmar.

So even counting EVERY non American natural disaster, plus Chicago, as "third world countries," we're looking at an eleven to thirteen split, of "third world" versus "America," with MORE natural disasters in America...and with only three of them in question being pre-1900.