Disappointing experiences - the sorrow thread

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by checkyoursix, May 17, 2020.

1. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Alexander Pope wrote “Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed”. Obviously, he wasn’t a gun owner so off he goes.

So, which guns you have owned or shot left you underwhelmed, disappointed, pissed, left you wondering why? Why?

Let the trail of tears commence.

2. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

For me, a Taurus slim. I should have known better, but I didn’t. Dam thing only had a use in a Thesaurus if you were looking for “jam” synonyms.

CZ Shadows, obligatory CGW upgrades. Amazing trigger, better than a date with a gorgeous girl with low moral standards. I just could not hit with it, and was clunky as hell in manipulating it. Just like that girl, it wasn’t meant to be I guess.

CZ Scorpion. Heavy, awful ergos, and still with way too much recoil. I was completely shocked by how little I liked that thing. Luckily for me it was very easy to sell it, the only redeeming feature it had.

3. pblanc

pblanc

The firearms that I have shot that were most disappointing were those that had received a great deal of hype that had raised my expectations to a level at which I was almost bound to be disappointed.

Probably the biggest disappointment was the Walther PPK/S in 380 Auto. Such a cool looking gun but much more unpleasant to shoot than I anticipated.

Second was a Colt Python owned by my buddy. He and I shot this back to back with my old plain Jane Ruger GP100. The Python looked way cooler and it maybe shot a little better, but not that much better than the Ruger. And it was no more accurate.

Third would be the Browning GP35 High Power. I had heard great things about the pistol and when I shot a couple, the gun was very ergonomic. But the ones I shot all had stock triggers with intact magazine disconnect safeties and the triggers were all quite frankly disappointing for a single action only pistol.

SpringerTGO and checkyoursix like this.
  4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    My second revolver back in 90's, a Taurus Model 66. It was not accurate. I'm talking shooting jugs at 25 yards with 357 mag ammo. With my Python, which I bought later, I couldn't miss, and even hit one falling to the ground. For some reason they instituted a rule against shooting falling jugs after that. :)
    Taurus took it back and after a while, gave me a new one. I got the feeling they were overwhelmed at that time. I sold the new one to a coworker without ever shooting it.
    Since then, nothing stands out. But there are a few I regret selling. Model 14 8" barrel, Trooper 357 4".

checkyoursix likes this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme

I have always been the type that researches things and if possible tries them out before buying. With that, I usually don't end up disappointed, but often times pleasantly surprised by a new acquisition.

My wife on the other hand has a tendency to research the crap out of things and then disregard what she learned and any warnings from me. This led her to insist on her first purse gun be a S&W Bodyguard .38 with laser.

The gun was indeed nice and compact with no hammer to snag on any of the crap in her purse, but as I warned her, it was a particular nasty and unpleasant gun to shoot. She ended up not shooting it often enough to even consider it as an effective EDC.

She finally asked me to sell it for her.
    She ended up getting a Ruger SR9c that she enjoys shooting and is very accurate with.
    She recently, while I was out of town, took out a raccoon in our chicken pen with one shot using it.

Dr. Leaky and pittpa like this.
  6. Critch

Critch

A Mossberg SSi-One..it looked sexy when the pics first came out, but it was heavy, clunky, prone to malfunctions and just a big disappointment..
    [​IMG]

7. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Sig 1911/22. Way too many malfunctions, tried all kinds of different ammo. Flipped that one quick.

Doctor SigFan likes this.
  8. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

Remington 597 .22 lr. 10 round magazines that only held 6 or 7 rounds, and it wouldn't cycle anything, no matter what I put in it. It had decent accuracy, but that's all I could say was good about it.

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

No need for any tears or anger, but I'd say the 'better on paper than in life' award goes to the Shadow 2.

checkyoursix likes this.
  10. Skidoo

Skidoo

Sig 356 striker broke at 700 rounds. Sent it back to Sig for the fix. It broke agin at around 500 rounds. So it went into the safe for a while till they figured out there problem. Had it fixed agin and sold it.

11. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Sig P320.
    Felt huge compared to my G23.

EAA Witness 10mm.
    Couldn't get it to run reliably. Bought new ($$$$) mags, no joy. I really really wanted to like it because, before I shot it, I loved it.

12. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I traded for a Masterpiece Arms Defender carbine in 5.7. It would not cycle the less expensive American Eagle ammo and I wasn't about to spend over $30 bucks per 50 of the FN stuff. Also, the stock was only held on by one screw and nut and it had been cross-threaded and would not stay tightened down. It was also very heavy with sharp edges that nicked me a few times. I sold it for what the trade value was with full disclosure. Did not miss it a bit.

13. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    @davethehiker has got to see this. Also, what was the round?

Jonesee, FullClip and Walk Soft like this.
  14. e150gt

e150gt

I bought a sig p238 in . 380 when they first came out. It was a nice looking gun. It never was reliable. Sig was a pain to deal with. Long wait times to talk to someone. They sound out a new recoil spring that took weeks to get and it didn't solve the problem. I sold it to a guy who liked them and he was aware of my issues.

Doctor SigFan likes this.
  15. 45caldan

45caldan

Have said this before in similar threads.
    Kimber TLE II.
    Many FTF, FTE.
    Worst 1911 I ever owned. Many people still think 1911s aren’t all that reliable. If they had this one I could see why!
    All other 1911s I’ve owned have been very reliable.

clancy and pittpa like this.
  16. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth

Beretta Nano.

Ergos were decent and it was surprisingly accurate. Trigger was better than my XDS (which isn’t difficult) and I thought it looked cool, overall. Unfortunately, The mag would pinch the crap out of my hand on every reload, and oh, it failed to extract 1 out of every 10 rounds. I sent it back to Beretta where they replaced the extractor and barrel; they said they couldn’t reproduce the failure. Got it back and it only failed to extract about every 30 rounds, so a marked improvement (sad trombone). Ran it some more to get the new parts to break in together, and failures became less frequent, but still never completely went away. Gone.

When the APX Carry (a.k.a. Nano 2.0) was released, I couldn’t help but check it out. Better ergos and trigger break than the Nano, but the overall trigger pull was just too long for such a little pistol. I felt like I had to completely curl my finger back into my fist to get it to break, much like a S&W Bodyguard or Ruger LCP. Guess that form factor just isn’t for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. jmohme

jmohme

I keep her gun loaded with Hornady 115 gr XTP.

mikey357 and pittpa like this.
  18. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Exeter Sig P Series

Post lock S&W revolvers

Sig 1911s

Early Uberti replicas

On ALL of these I've tried multiple models and no longer consider purchasing due to those experiences.

Since you asked.

YMMV.

19. grecco

grecco

The Steyr L9A2,
    It has been flawless,accurate, everything you could ask for.
    It has one of the best striker fired triggers, but the reset is barely tactile or audible.
    This causes me issues.

Glock 21,
    It was a big beefy pistol, it did everything well, but the grip was just to big / blocky for me.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Bomber Nav, Rinspeed and checkyoursix like this.
  20. ak103k

ak103k

This was my disappointment of late, a 1977 Browning High Power I picked up last week.

[​IMG]

Looked to be in pretty good shape, and overall, it is. Except the previous owner thought they were a gunsmith and "tuned" the trigger. They tuned it alright. :rolleyes:

First time I dropped the slide on a loaded mag, the gun fired a round into the ground in front of me and the hammer followed the slide home to half cock. Thumbed it back and squeezed off another round, and got a 4 round burst out of it. And....that was that. :p

Luckily, these are pretty easy to work on and parts are available, albeit, a little salty. Got a new factory sear and sear spring in the mail yesterday, and once I swapped them out, all was good again. :)

The trigger is more in line with my MKIII HP now and feels a lot more positive.

Put 200 rounds through it and it shoots pretty well. This is about 175 rounds at 15 yards. If I slow down and focus, Im sure that would tighten up. Those were shot at a pretty good clip as soon as the sights came back on target. I was more interested in seeing if the gun was running OK than anything else.

[​IMG]

Poorman, DrewBone, grecco and 4 others like this.