Disappointed in new Tapco mag

Discussion in 'SKS Carbiners' started by G26man, Feb 13, 2014.

1. G26man

G26man OBEY ME!

It's been a while since I owned an SKS. I think the last time I owned one was when I posted the sticky about using Tapco 20rd mags with stripper clips, and that was in 2008. Anyway I bought another recently and ordered just one 20rd Tapco mag and a bunch of stripper clips.

I remember the Tapco 20rd mags as being excellent, essentially 100% reliable, not only in my own experience but from reading others reviews, etc. as well. The one I received however is not. When I load it over 50% capacity friction starts to develop, the rounds get much harder to load and the spring can not push the rounds up fast enough to feed. Sometimes the follower stops altogether. This is when loading by hand, not using stripper clips. I have not disassembled or modded the mag in any way. I guess I'll take it apart and see if I can figure out what is going on, but the follower moves fine with no load on it so it might not be obvious. Something is obviously bending under pressure (maybe the side walls?) and causing extra friction.

Has anyone else had any problems with their Tapco 20 round mags? Any issues like this?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. sandpiper

sandpiper

I've generally heard,
    Stick with the original box mag for reliability.