Dirty bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by njl, Apr 16, 2012.

1. njl

njl Crusty Member

I'm trying out some PD 185gr JHP bullets, and so far, I really like them. But in loading a batch of 200 last night, I noticed they're really dirty (thumb and first couple fingers on the left hand blackened) and they're covered in what I'm guessing is corn cob tumbling media. Most of them seem to have a few granules of media in the JHP cavity. I lifted the bag out of the box last night and there was so much media in the bottom, I had to wonder if their method of tumbling is pour media into the bag of bullets and let USPS do the vibrating.

Is there an easy way to clean these up? I'm tempted to put them in the tumbler with some fresh media, but I don't want to make them worse.

I was chronoing some of these (and some Precision 200gr) yesterday, and basically shot out the bullseye of the target I had beyond the chronograph...so the left over lube (I'm guessing that's what it is) and media don't seem to be causing any accuracy problems.

Has anyone compared these and Zero's 185gr JHP? The Zeros are actually a tiny bit cheaper, but out of stock where I'd normally buy them.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Just dump them into a terry towel & roll them around to get the polishing compund off.

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Tumble them. I have done it with PD before as well. Do a small batch to be sure your media size doesn't fill up the HP cavity.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Use them as is to lap your bore.

5. njl

njl Crusty Member

Yeah...I wondered how long until a joke about them being self-cleaning for the bore.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

But it's no wonder I thought of it before the others:whistling:

7. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

I've heard crushed walnut from Petsmart is better for that.

8. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

No matter how you clean the stuff they will still turn your fingers black, well, if you are as white as I am anyway lol.... I have gone a little Howie Mandel these days and I slap on a pair of those fancy blue nitrile gloves you can pick up at Harbor Freight for a song and don't worry about dirty boolits... They are supposed to be dirty, they are happy dirty !!!! Embrace the filth... Just wash up and no nose mining !!!