close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Direct TV versus Dish Network

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GreenDrake, Mar 9, 2012.

1. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Pros and Cons? Or are they both sneaky? Looking at my bill and going online to see what my package would cost for a new customer, I was apalled. Shame on me for not seeing what they were doing to me. My Dish Network bill is now over $150 a month, crazy. Considering going to DirecTv but not sure if their deals are any better. My contact is up and I am on a month to month as it stands. I have three HD tvs and one is a DVR. Not sure what the deal is to get the best contract if I go shopping.

2. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

I got lured into Directv with a buttload of channels and was paying about $70 the first 6 months. Now my bill is about $127 after I dropped all of the movie channels. I used to be a Dish customer for a couple years and my bill with everything but the movie channels was around $92. Directv does tell you what the price will go up to after the rebates and promotions expire. It's getting to be pretty ridiculous. I really wish they didn't require a contract cause I'd switch off them in the summer months.

3. Guessinator

Guessinator

I use an installer that switches me between Directv and Dish Network every year to take advantage of the promotions. Your bill will eventually go up after the promotion ends whether it's Direct or Dish.

Anyway, switching is an easy way to get upgraded to the latest equipment if you've been stuck with one company for awhile. Just be sure the cancel the promotional sports or movie channels when the promotion ends.

4. Mr981

Mr981

I prefer Direct TV to Dish, from a programming equipment issue, but have decided to change every other year since eventually they forget about you if you stay with them for years.

I recently changed over to Dish and trying to knock my bill down with Direct--had been with them for 5 years with the same funky equipment. They really didn't want to do anything despite the fact I said I was going to leave. They called back 2 days after canceling with athe deal I wanted--new equipment, better rates--but I was already signed up with Dish.

I think the message is to keep changing providers every 2 years since neither provides an incentive to stay after the contract is done.

5. 220-9er

220-9er

They both have terrible customer service. I think Directv has slightly better programing, for me at least. The movie channels are a big waste of $$ in my opinion. All kinds of other options out there for less money and better variety.
    They both give you a teaser rate to sign up for the first 6 months to year.
    They both require you so send back the box if you end the service so don't loose anything.
    The best hope on the horizon is for better internet tv access. You need good internet speed and some extra equipment and it's a do it yourself installation.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. sarge83

sarge83

I have had Directv for 13 yrs. We have Dish at work and equipment and programming wise I prefer Directv.

When I started out I was paying about $40 a month for two receiver boxes and no premium channels. Now with Choice Xtra and 3 DVR's and no premium channels I am paying $102.

7. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Directv has a promotion going on for the next few days. 2 year contract has $35 off monthly fee for the 1st year and $25 off monthly fee for the 2nd year. I just switched from Dishtv at $85 a month to Directv for $55 a month for first year . In 2 years I'll probably switch back for a promotional deal at Dish. I hate playing this game.

8. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Not sure what programming Direct has over Dish. I only know Dish froze their price for three years while Direct did not.

9. tongix

tongix

Im with COmcast cable for the past six seven years. Now im upgrading to High Definition box after buying my first Bravia HDTV. Will see what comcast will offer a deal

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Had DTV for years. Not considering droppint them.

11. Brucev

Brucev

Very pleased with Dish Network. Very good channel selections. Very good customer service.

12. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I am strongly considering the jump to DirectTV, Dish tried playing the "let's adjust your programming" BS with me, after I told them I wanted the deal a new customer was getting. Essentially saying they would take it down to $117 a month while I could get more for $75 a month with directTV.

13. tongix

tongix

They all play the hook and bait business practice. Nothing new and nothing less. You have to keep up every two years or so and check your bills. Theyknow people have short memories and tend to get lax and distracted by other stuff in life. No motivation to change is the norm as we are creatures of habit. If you shake them up, they will sometimes give in by theiir book and sometimes they dont give a rat' --- .

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I get plenty of TV OTA. Over the Air. Cost me $150 a decade or so ago.

15. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I have had both... I had DirecTv and went to DISH b/c of the "Free HD for life" promo.

Fast forward just shy of two years... I am going to let Direct buy out my DISH contract to go back. DTV has offered to pay off my contract, and give me the free HD for life now too. The bill breakdown seems to be about the same as DISH and a lot cheaper for the first year.

Both services are better than cable no doubt. However, I completely and thoroughly hate the DISH software. The DVR requires an engineering degree from an Ivy League school to operate. After almost two years, I can barely use it. Also, the two TV's and one receiver is a BIG pain in the behind. There are only two feeds into the house and somebody will always set a timer for something and render the other TV useless (unless you watch something already recorded). You also have to be careful of DISH double billing stuff. I caught them on that before, they did refund it after I pointed it out to them.

That being said, DISH is a good enough service. Their programming is good, selection is good, customer service is good. However, the equipment and software are not up to par.

I have heard DTV has made a lot of improvements in their equipment, I had one of the old HD DVR's and the only way to describe that equipment was it "sucked". The software and ease of use were great....but the receiver itself was prone to crashing and lacked outputs to a recording device. I have heard all that has changed now, so yay DirecTv.

16. techiej

techiej

After being with DTV for many years and then Comcast we just dropped them and put in a business class intenet connection and use Amazon Instant Video, Hulu, etc. via a Roku. Saving a net of over $70/month (our business internet is $107). If you're interested in the Roku I have a review on my blog.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012