Dinner

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by ateamer, Feb 11, 2010.

1. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Chicken mole, rice and beans with a beer. And an hour later a whole pie for dessert. It might not be Zone approved, I have no idea how many kcal (when did they stop being calories and become kilocalories?) there were, or what the ratio of Omega-3 fatty acids to BCAAs was, but it sure was good!

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Good is important. Shoulda had some s'mores poptarts to finish things off.

3. BradD

BradD

:rofl:

Yesterday was atrocious for me. I was out of town and I've pretty much always failed to eat reasonably at times like that. My pants literally are barely able to button this morning. If I traveled very often, I'd either come up with some discipline or I'd be in very bad shape in short order. It's possible to eat well on the road, but it's slim pickins.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

A whole pie? Boy does that sound good!

I don't think any of you'd be the least bit interested in my eating habits. I made a list of "desirable" foods last week for a friend who is having to change his diet due to the results of his colonoscopy. If your guts hurt you badly enough, you're willing to do most anything to make it stop.

5. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

You're leaving out important details. What kind of pie?

6. SouthernGal

I've simply got to be politically incorrect and ask...

I know most of you guys go heavy on the protein in order to "feed" your muscles. How the hell are you doing this and keeping enough fiber in your diet to be able to clear your bowels without it looking like/feeling like rocks?

I can understand a protein powder likely wouldn't cause you to clog up, but outside of things like beans, cottage cheese and high fiber pasta, which are all high in protein and fiber, I'm clueless.

7. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I eat lots of green veggies to keep my fiber up. They're so low in calories that it hardly matters and dense with fiber. Fruits are good too, but you have to watch the calories in fruit with all the sugars. Blueberries are a favorite of mine.

8. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Um, cottage cheese has 0g fiber. Or atleast mine has 0g.:supergrin:

Like Cinic, I eat green veggies, and oats and whole wheat bread to get my fiber. Also eat whole wheat pasta like you mentioned.

You don't really need to eat food high in both, just mix and match them.

9. SouthernGal

I wondered how you guys were managing this. Sounds like you are big into the green leafy stuff as well. Salad is a staple in this office but everyone watches the dressings they use since a large part of calories usually comes in those.

If your cottage cheese has no fiber, try the Live Active kind in the single serve containers. 90 calories per container and 3gm fiber with 10g protein.

Here's the list I sent my friend:

Here's the smoothie (check out the vitamins and fiber in this baby)
    http://www.bolthouse.com/html/cs_bluegoodness_n.html

Some other things I really like that are high fiber:
    Ole Brand XTREME WELLNESS HIGH FIBER LOW CARB TORTILLA WRAPS--71 calories each, Fat 2gm, 5 carb, 12g fiber, 8g protein

Nature's Own Whitewheat bread, hot dog buns, and hamburger buns: http://www.whitewheat.com/ Bread has 2gm fiber per slice, tastes just like regular white bread, buns have 4gm for hot dog per bun, 5 gm for hamburger per bun.

Fiber One Poptarts--these taste no different from the Kellogg's brand, but have 5gm fiber per pastry, 180 calories each. (These are not like the bars as they do not contain chickory root fiber--so no farts!)

Live Active Cottage Cheese (comes in a 4-pack at Kroger or Wal-Mart) http://www.calories-nutrition.buddyslim.com/breakstone-live-active-cottage-cheese/ 3gm fiber each, 10 gm protein, 90 calories. Tastes no different from any other cottage cheese.

Cereal--Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats--come in blueberry frosted, strawberry frosted, and other flavors
    http://www.frostedminiwheats.com/roll-call/ I want to say it's like 5gr of fiber per serving, 180 calories.
    or try POST brand Raisin Bran (Kellogg's doesn't have as much fiber as Post does) http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-post-raisin-bran-cereal-i8337

I don't know if you like salad, but if you do, stick with red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine or spinach. All those varieties have more fiber than iceburg, butter or boston lettuce does.

On beans (if you're able to eat these) try black and pinto. I've found that the cheap Mexican beans (La Costena brand) found in the mexican food isle of Kroger have the same amount of fiber as organic beans, but have HALF the calories http://www.mexgrocer.com/1427.html.

I also like the Bush's Bold N Spicy beans http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-bush-brothers-bold-spicy-baked-i95037

On my pasta, I eat Barilla Plus or Ronzoni Smart Taste.

10. SouthernGal

You'd likely like the smoothies I've been drinking. See my post above.

11. proactive

proactive

Lots and lots of veggies. Also Mrs. Pro sneaks broccoli into smoothies for the boy and me.

12. proactive

proactive

That rules.

13. SouthernGal

I've heard about people using kale in smoothies too. I guess I don't know much about kale overall though.

14. BradD

BradD

I forgot who said it, but someone pointed out earlier that meat has fibers--muscle fibers, so that should count also.

15. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The pie was half apple, half cherry. Plenty of fiber in there. Trust me on this one - there was no problem with lightening my burden this morning.

For breakfast just about every day, I have a double serving of steel-cut oatmeal. Ten grams of fiber, keeps things moving right along.

16. SouthernGal

If I forget to tell you later on, I HATE you! :supergrin: Each week I begrudge myself a few scoops of some REAL ice cream. Other than that, it's no pie and no cake. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I had pie.

eta: no references to "pie" please! :supergrin:

I came in this morning to the office and wanted some oatmeal but a quick check of my drawer where I stash my food shows I'm out (I have more at home). I was disappointed :( I only eat the instant stuff, so it isn't as good for me, but I make up for those fiber grams elsewhere.

17. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Looks tasty...although I'm not a fan of drinking calories unless there is protein in it. What's one of those cost? Our grocery store had fresh blueberries on sale for $1/container a couple weeks back. I loaded up. They really make plain, lowfat yogurt more palatable. I usually have to use frozen though.

I also agree with ateamer on the steel cut oats. They're crazy inexpensive, cook easily and have plenty of fiber.

18. SouthernGal

Protein count on that one is 0. But, it's heavy on the B vitamins and minerals. I think I paid $4.50 for the whole bottle. When you open the bottle and sniff, it smells like blueberries, blackberries, bananas and apples all mixed together.

And you're right, regular yogurt is kinda blah.

19. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Veg, fruits (carefully), whole grain bread, oatmeal.

I simply can't stand rocks in my bowels. Someone told me chickens eat rocks to help with their digestion; it did naff all for the Green Man.

20. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

I'd prefer Mrs Smith's Razzleberry to apple/cherry.