Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mas...
I hoping that you will be able to help me out or point me in the right direction. Yearly, I put myself through my own skills test with pistols that I have in the past or that I would like to carry concealed in the near future. I do this because I feel I'm losing some dexterity in my hands, some due to aging, I am 55 and some due to multiple surgeries in both hands and thumbs. I find myself having no problem with these pistols when it comes time to shoot for accuracy. My problem comes if I were employed in a self defensive situation where rapid fire was needed. It seems with certain pistols such as the LCP, Kahr P380, PM9, MK9 and other narrow gripped pistols that during a rapid firing sequence I have the tendency to hit the mag release somewhere in mid sequence which causes the magazine to release, which forces me to take corrective measures. This has gotten worse over the last 18 to 24 months. By the way my hands are quite wide.
Should I just succumb to the fact that these micro firearms are just not for me anymore? Take care.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,907 Posts
Hard to tell without watching you shoot. Sometimes a left-handed shooter with beefy fingers will inadvertently hit the release with the middle finger of the firing hand. More often, those of us geezers who shoot old-style right-handed with the thumb curled down will accidentally hit the button. If so, a straight-thumbs hold should cure things. Or, something as simple as stronger mag release springs could serve as a mechanical fix.

If you don't think it's any of that, please get back to me. Pictures of your grasp on the gun would be helpful.

Best of luck,
Mas

1 - 2 of 2 Posts