dillon's .50 BMG press

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bdhawk, Feb 28, 2010.

1. bdhawk

bdhawk

i do not have a .50 BMG, and probably will ever get one. but.....i am fascinated over the round and it's capabilities.

i was on dillon's website and saw they sell a .50 BMG press. it is nearly $1000.00!! mercy, i like dillon and all with their outstanding products, warranty, and customer service, but $1000.00? it is a simple looking single stage press. no dies, pencil sharpener, nothing but a press. for that price it should be a turn key operation with dies, trimmers, and pretty much everything you need. nope, just a press. lee makes a kit with press AND dies for suggested retail of $285.00. i know that lee's quality probably pales in comparison, but for less than 1/3 the price, i feel that it is a far superior deal.

am i missing something on the dillon press? how in the heck can dillon justify the nearly $1000.00 price tag?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. bdhawk

bdhawk

oops, my bad!! i should have looked at the updated website. it is a multi-stage press. i still think it is too spendy.

3. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

and 800 bones for the carbide sizer. lol

I don't know howmany they are going to sell. I would get the lee kit. But then again I don't own an M2 machine gun:dunno:

4. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Compare it to other progressive 50 presses out there...

And, everything for the 50 is expensive. Just double the cost of what it is normally. Easy as that.

I have a Barret 82 and am considering a Dillon. Just cause I can. Then use my ammomaster for priming.

5. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

I don't shoot .50... but speaking generally, I wouldn't pay $1000 for a progressive .50 press unless I needed to reload 100s of them at the time. Even then, I'm not sure I would. A single-stage is a LOT cheaper.

Progressive presses are intended for volume, IMHO. And .50 isn't normally a high-volume reloading caliber.

thorn

6. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

With a 50 or something similar, you're going to be loading for precision, long range shooting so a single stage press will work just fine. You'll be weighing and sorting cartridge cases, reaming necks, weighing charges, etc. That's one way of looking at it. Another way, even reloading, shooting a 50 is an expensive proposition so spending extra money on the best reloading gear shouldn't be a big deal. Typically, the 50 guys aren't cruising WalMart looking for deals on 9mm White Box.
    A Barrett 99 sans scope starts @ $4400 + tax. The 82A1 starts @ $9300+. Add in the scope, mounts, BORs, etc., and it becomes a serious sport!

That said, I've got one of each plus the REC 7 on my wish list.

7. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

I always thought i'd be weighing each charge of stick powder. I guess i just imagine stick powder. I might be wrong.

metering directly into the case does not say "long range accuracy to me"

I could be wrong I've never loaded for the 50

8. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Keep in mind there is more to shooting/loading for a 50 than benchrest shooting.

Guys like me shooting a 82 are plenty happy with minute of boulder as its about the gun will shoot anyway.

Some guys are running M2s and other guns like it.

When I shot my McMillan 50 in the benchrest game I weighed every charge and only neck sized.

But semi-autos/belt feds/ect are a different beast and that is the main buyer of progressive presses like this.

9. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

Ok . maybe i'm just need to buy and M2 machine gun to understand:supergrin:

10. dudel

dudel

Heh! The real shock comes when you realize that one pound of powder will load all of 28 rounds! This opened my eyes since I normally get 1500+ rounds out of a pound of powder.

There's nothing cheap about the .50 BMG. Even the .50AE is saner as regards powder per round.

11. Hydraulicman

Hydraulicman

i can't wait for a youtube video so I can see this thing run.