Dillon Square Deal B Questions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SBray, Feb 2, 2017.

1. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

I got my SDB setup and made some slight adjustments from the factory settings for a 45 ACP.

The only other Dillon I have to compare the SDB to is the 550b. My first impressions are that it doesn't seem to be as consistent as the 550b in that the powder drops, OALs, and crimpings vary slightly. I don't know if the SDB can be slightly short stroked to cause these variances.

Today I went to the range with different loads I was testing, some were loaded with a 550b and others with the SDB. One of the rounds loaded on the SDB would not feed into the chamber by just being dropped in. I had two of these rounds from the SDB not feed as described. When I got home I resized this same round as it still would not pass just dropping it in the chamber. Once resized again, (with the original setting) it fit perfectly!

Any thoughts?

Steve

2. jmorris

jmorris

Either can be short stroked. If you swap out the body collar you can use the 550 measure on the SD and see if there is any difference. The main parts of the measures are the same.

SBray likes this.

3. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

I figured that the auto rotating machines would not rotate if short stroked.

Steve

4. jmorris

jmorris

The only Dillon that won't let you short stroke is the 1050 and thats only if you haven't removed the ratchet.

SBray likes this.
  5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

But removing the ratchet is the first thing a sensible person's going to do.

6. jmorris

jmorris

Yeah, not doing that would be like reading the manual before operating it.

7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I mean the first basic hardware change. Yes, presumably a person's going to read the manual.