close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dillon DCL or Synthetic DCL

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rangerhgm, Sep 10, 2017.

1. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Does anyone use either of these for handgun brass lube?

If so, which do you prefer?

Dillon recommends the synthetic if you reload a lot of ammo due to the regular leaving residue on the dies.

I just wanted to get some real world advice/experience.

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I didn't know Dillon had more than one liquid lube, I will have to go out and see which one I have.

The one I have is lanolin based with an alcohol carrier, and comes in a spritz bottle. For my loading needs it is kind of in no mans land for lube. It is too sticky for normal handgun use, I prefer using Hornaday One Shot, basically a parafin lube with some volatile carrier that evaporates quickly. It is far less sticky, so less powder (basically none) collecting at the case mouth and no need to tumble the finished rounds to get the lube off (cleaner handling).

I don't load for auto loading rifles, so I use imperial sizing wax for all my bottle neck rifle loading. Zero stuck cases with Imperial no matter how long/tough the case. If I were to start loading volume rifle (like Black out, 223, 308, etc.), I suspect the Dillon liquid lube would be perfect for that application.

fredj338, refugeepj and dudel like this.

3. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

They're both liquid lube in a spritz bottle...one synthetic and one isnt.

I've been using one shot also

WeeWilly likes this.
  4. dudel

dudel

I use Midways Frankfort Arsenal spray lube. Lanolin/alcohol in a spritz bottle. Works fine. Not to worried about buildup because I clean my dies anyways. It's amazing how much smutz gets up there even with sparkling clean brass.

WeeWilly likes this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

The thing I think I love about the Dillon dies the most is the ease of cleaning.

dudel likes this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Mine is not the synthetic. I haven't used the synthetic.

7. sciolist

sciolist

I've recently started using the organic DCL after about 200k 9mm rounds dry. I like it, although it does add some steps. The 1050 is way smoother with it than dry. It wouldn't matter as much with the 550, but I haven't used that press since I got the 1050. I've been tumbling the finished rounds in rice.

8. gft1047

gft1047

Clesn your cases before reloading with walnut and corncob mix, and use a good carbide die. No extra work. Have been doing this for 30 years without a problem. I use Lee four die sets. My brother reloads 6 different handgun calibers the same way and has grest results. Also two rifles.

9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I checked and my Dillon lube is the DCL, not the synthetic (which I was pretty sure it was). Maybe the synthetic is a little less sticky, which might cause less powder caking around the case mouth during loading and maybe eliminate the need for cleaning the lube off after loading.

The Hornaday One Shot isn't cheap, so if there was something that worked as well, I would probably adopt it. I have tried finding some wax based bicycle chain lube as a lower cost substitute for the One Shot, but have not found anything yet.

10. A6Gator

A6Gator

I agree with you. While One Shot isn't cheap, I like it better than the Dillon stuff in the spritz bottle. One quick spray with One Shot and I can cover a whole cookie sheet of brass. The Dillon stuff seems a bit gummy. I bought it for grins when I ordered some other stuff from Dillon just to try it. When this one's gone, I'll go back to One Shot.

fredj338 and WeeWilly like this.
  11. biggen

biggen

I like the one shot for pistol cases, but will not use it on rifle cases. I only use Imperial on rifle cases.
    The one shot makes pistol cases run a lot smoother than without it.
    But I have stuck too many rifle cases with one shot.

WeeWilly likes this.
  12. dudel

dudel

On closer look at the OP; you don't need ANY lube on straight wall cases with a carbide die.

My straight wall cases get pin washed with some car wax detergent added. I don't even lube 357Sig cases any more. Bottleneck rifle just gets the Frankford Arsenal lanolin/alcohol spritx.

13. fredj338

fredj338

For most handgun I don't use any case lube, just run them thru the carbide die. When I get ss/wet cleaned brass, it is very dry, like new brass, so OneShot helps. For rifle cases, lanolin/alcohol lubes work well but do require at least a roll in damp towel to remove after loading.

14. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Even though I have carbide dies, I like to lube my pistol brass because of how much smoother/easier my press is to operate.

cjsteineker, Rusty Gun and WeeWilly like this.
  15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I feel the same way.