Dillon CV-2001 Tumbler

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by oneofthose, Jan 25, 2020.

1. oneofthose

oneofthose

I've been wanting one for a while, seems like now's the time. Looks like the best price is at Creedmoor or Graf's. Any other vendor I'm overlooking?

2. xdmikey

xdmikey

Does it do anything special or are you trying to keep your bench blue?

oneofthose likes this.

3. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

Dillon sure is proud of that tumbler!

Steve

oneofthose likes this.
  4. Lagamor

Lagamor

It’s gigantic. I want one too, but can’t justify it.

oneofthose likes this.
  5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

The web page says it's not a hobby machine. It's pretty big!
    I have had one for several years and it works very well. It will tumble a LOT of brass and sometimes that is exactly what I need.

The next size up is a full size cement mixer.

6. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Ya, it's a freakin' monster, as is the separator that goes with it. Way too big for me. I'd need to be shooting like 100k/year for that.

Lagamor and oneofthose like this.
  7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

You're right about that separator, it's ginormous. But it works real well for getting the media out of the cases. Prior to buying it, I used a colander and tumbled in a Thumler's Tumbler

http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/

Suboptimal...

If 3 of us go to the Action Pistol range, we might very well blast up 1,000 rounds of ammo. Not always but we will blow up at least 500. I used to just dump everything in the Dillon but lately I have been separating the brass by caliber. The 9's getting stuck in the '40s getting stuck in the .45s is a PITA. When I used to shoot by myself or with just my grandson, all the brass was .45 - much easier to deal with. Alas, my wife has migrated from .40 to 9 and I will sometimes play with .40 so there you go. Separate the brass!

DubfromGA, Lagamor and oneofthose like this.
  8. oneofthose

oneofthose

I actually have very little blue in the room. I like the Dillon CV-2001 for it's capacity. I just finished two 1k batches of 30-06 Garand ammo, tumbling 10 separate batches of that brass for 1 1/2-2 hours each is a drag.

DubfromGA likes this.
  9. Lagamor

Lagamor

https://www.shellsorter.com/

Got some of these. Speed up the sorting process a lot. I have a lot of processed, so I usually let a five gallon bucket fill up before I process any.

10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

There is also a metal plate for that setup. It separates .380 from 9mm. Midway has it.

Lagamor likes this.
  11. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I have the shell sorters, but not overly impressed with the metal .380 separator.
    I have the large Dillon separator yes way too big. I also have an RCBS rotary separator and a lyman that looks like a minors gold pan. But I like using the shell sorters separating brass and for the dry media or even when wet tumbling. They store a lot easier also.

Lagamor likes this.
  12. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I have these and the plastic pans work fine, but the 380 metal plate is iffy.

Lagamor likes this.
  13. nerr

nerr

Sounds like that Dillon is a really good tumbler.

FWIW. I had a Frankord Arsenal Quick-N-Ez that lasted 10 years before motor would not turn (fixed it for grins, and works now). It is noisy, but cleaned ok and capacity was ok for my limited shooting.

I have had a Cabela's dry tumbler (green bowl) for 5 years. It's quiet: more like a hum than the Frankford's rattling. It cleans cases well, but smaller bowl than Frankford.

I just got a Hornady dry tumbler (red bowl, of course) that hums, seems to clean fine and capacity is about same as Cabela's.

I like trying new tools, so when Frankford froze up, I got the Hornady. Then when I got around to it I took the Frankford apart, cleaned off what looked like graphite all over the inside of the base housing and fan, shot a little 3-in-1 around the inside rotating part of the motor, and got it to start working. Simplistic design is kind of ingenious.

I keep 2 tumblers and fill with different media. Sometimes I shoot enough to want to have 2 going.

rangerhgm likes this.