Dillon 550b Auto Case feeder?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big Bird, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Was wondering if any of you are running the new auto case feeder on your 550b? Want to hear if it works well or is finicky. Was it worth the $250 or so they ask for it or would I be better off with a 650 with a case feeder?

I've had my 550 for over 20 years and the prospect of upgrading it with a case feeder is attractive as long as its not more trouble than its worth...

Thanks!

2. jmorris

jmorris

For what round(s)?

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

IMHO it's more trouble then it's worth. It makes the press very hard to access. Its not as reliable in the shuttle area as other Dillon case feeders. It's now a PITA to convert calibers. I hated it on my press.

4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I can't imagine how you wouldn't be better off with a 650. The case feeder doesn't blend with manual indexing. Let the 550 be a 550.

5. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

Def go with the 650, auto indexing is awesome, plus its casefeeder can do rifle as well

6. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

I few guys local to me have them and they are not worth it. They take too much tinkering to keep them working 100%.

If you must have a casefeeder, just get a 650 or a 1050.

The 550 casefeeder is the only thing blue that I don't recommend to people, and I am a total Dillon fanboy.

7. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

I bought one, used it for awhile, took it off because it is a pita to keep running properly.

8. norton

norton

This one is mine. It is currently set up to load 45 Colt. I also load and use the casefeeder for .45 acp, .38 Special and .357. I also have conversion kits for 9mm although I have not loaded any 9 on my 550 yet.
    I bought the casefeeder 4 or 5 years ago. I love it. It reduces hand movement, and allows concentration on the powder drop and bullet seating operations.
    At first I had issues with .45 Colt. It would occasionally drop a case sideways, where it would be crushed when I raised the ram. Some adjustment and it now will flip a case maybe one out of a hundred.
    Do note-I deprime and resize off press. I prefer to do it this way. Doing this work off press I can watch TV while performing this basic operation. And I never have to clean the primer slide. I also deprime and resize but also prime off press with my Lee Loadmaster.
    YMMV
    005.jpg

9. marchboom

marchboom

Too noisy, IMO. I like it relatively quiet when I do my loading. I'm sure You Tube has a video showing it in action so you could hear how it sounds.

10. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

How much hand motion can you actually save with the case feeder? I grab brass right, bullet left and go. The great thing about the 550 is its relative simplicity; no need to fook with that.
    Moon

11. jmorris

jmorris

In your case 50%, if my math is correct.

12. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

LOL. John, that is true, but I have the brass bin and the bullet box arranged that I don't have to reach very far, so my hand motion is at a minimum, and since I do both hands at the same time, there is no time lost.
    Moon

13. norton

norton

The main advantage to me is I don't have to look away from the powder drop and bullet seating operations. As the late great Jack G said, when you get older any reduction on hand movement while reloading is a plus.

14. norton

norton

I find your complaint about it being too noisy ironic, considering your avatar. :car: