close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dilemma: CZ P01 or Glock 19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Curley, Oct 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Curley

Curley

I'm planning to purchase a compact, high-capacity 9mm very soon, but I'm torn between the P01 and the Glock 19. Does anyone here have experience with both, to offer a comparison?

I like the Glock's lighter weight, its legendary reputation for quality and reliability, and the abundance of after-market accessories.

But I like the grips of the P01, the SA/DA capability and the fact that it has a manual safety.

This gun will be used primarily for home defense, and carried on rare occasions.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

the P-01 does not have a manual safety. it's a decocker only model. carry is comfortable, grips and ergonomics are amazing, and reliability is top notch. my P-01 had been flawless until this past sunday. my trigger return spring broke after much use and abuse. i've fired over 13,000 rounds in the last year, and i dry fire alllllllll the time when i'm at home. i just love my gun so much :)

why do accessories matter so much? theres really nothing to improve on the gun except the sights (factory sights are glow in the dark phosphorescent, you'll want to immediately replace with tritium night sights), and shoot the hell out of it to smooth the trigger out. if you feel the need for a weapon light or any other rail mounted accessory, there's nothing a glock will handle that a P-01 cant.

try out the P-01 and the glock before you buy. maybe your hands are totally different than mine, but you should find that the gun points naturally (instinctive shooting, "from the hip") and feels better than the steeper grip angle of the glock and higher felt recoil of the glock.

i'm not glock bashing, so i hope it doesnt come across that way. a glock 19 is definitely on my short list of upcoming purchases because of the unparalleled reliability. keep in mind though, the P-01 is one of the only (or THE only??) gun that has the NATO stamp of approval that is still sold to the general public, and more police and military forces around the world use derivatives of the CZ-75B than any other make and model gun out there.

3. Curley

Curley

Thanks for the clarification. I discovered that in a review I found after making my original post.

Sounds like it operates basically like a double-action revolver, with the addition of a decocker. I think I'd be much more comfortable carrying the P01 with a round in the chamber than I would with the Glock.

4. Luis Leon

Luis Leon

Curley,

I own a CZ75 P01 and used to own a Glock G19. They are both fine pistols, so it will come down to which one feels better to you. That said, for me the CZ just shoots better, I couldn't shoot the G19 well, but that was just me, as my wife could shoot it fine.

I really love my P01, so much that I also purchased a CZ75BD and CZ75B. The P01 has been reliable and accurate, I have over 3000k round through mine and she just runs and runs. I had magazine relate problems because I let them get filthy. Other than that its a very reliable gun. Do a web search and read about the tests it was put through to get NATO approval.

Beware of CZs. Accurate, solid guns for not a lot of money.

regards,

Luis Leon

5. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I have both. IMO, their reliability is equivalent, however in my hands, the P-01 is much more accurate. Also, I like having the first shot DA feature.

Bottom line... I have a slight preference for the CZ P-01.

6. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

The way you wrote your 1st post, I'd say you want the CZ more. And like everyone said, there isnt that many accesories. I'm pretty sure the CZ has a low bore axis too. If I was in the market for a DA/SA, it would be that exact model.

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Too lazy right now to check the facts, so please excuse me if I'm in error, but isn't the P-01 more the size of a G17? If so, shouldn't that bew the comparision?

8. Luis Leon

Luis Leon

California Jack,

The CZ75 P01 and the G19 are comparable in size, I believe the CZ75B or CZ75BD would be more comparable in size to the G17s.

regards,

Luis Leon

9. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Dimensions:

P-01
    Overall Length 7.2 in
    Height 5.3 in
    Width 1.4 in

G17
    Length (slide) 7.32 in. 186 mm
    Height 5.43 in. 138 mm
    Width 1.18 in. 30 mm

G19
    Length 6.85 in.
    Height 5.00 in.
    Width 1.18 in.

From CZUSA.com and Glock.com.......... G17 is closer in both length and height than the G19 is. Difference in width is obviously equal. Conclusion......... I was right. :banana: :animlol:

10. andybtruckin

andybtruckin Member

I have both, G19 and P-01. The CZ is more comfortable in my had but I am a bit more accurate with the Glock.

11. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

I have both guns and prefer the P01 at the range but the G19 for carry. Its really a matter of preference though. I shoot better with the P01 in SA than the Glock but the DA pull on the trigger sucks. I really hated the G19 until I replaced the 5lb connector with the 3.5 which made all the difference in the world. The grip is excellent on the P01 but I prefer DAO triggers or the glock for carry for a consistant trigger pull.

12. jazzmanDK

jazzmanDK

I am in lust with CZ.....I have a 75B and will buy a P01 as a yule gift for myself. The 75B is accurate, sits in my hand like an extension of myself. I took my initial ccw course firing 250 rounds thru a P01......I was in lust immediately.

Zip

13. Thundar

Thundar

Both! I ordered G19 and CZ-75B Stainless

I pick them up in 2 weeks. :banana: :thumbsup:

Now 6 more days!

14. Pinetop

Pinetop

I have both P-01 and G19. Like them both. The P-01 is kind of like a baby Beretta 92. (was my first love). The P-01 is great for ocassional Mexican carry, or just laying in the car console, neither of which I would ever do with the G19.

Pinetop

15. LH2

LH2

For carry I'd much rather have the G19. It's significantly lighter with a more durable finish. 1st shot DA trigger pull in CZ's is often gritty in the examples I've tried.

Glock is easier to field strip too. ;)

16. Eliakim

Eliakim

I thought that Glock pistols, especially the G17 was a NATO approved pistol? Austria adapted the G17 back around 1982, followed shortly after by Norway [Norway is a NATO country but not Austria]. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a lot more Glock pistols used by police and military forces than CZ P-01's.

The Glocks are among the most popular pistols in the USA. Certainly you're more likely to find a Glock at a local gunstore in the USA than a CZ.

That said, I think the CZ P-01 is a very attractive handgun, but so are Berettas and SIGs [companies which also produce NATO approved pistols].

17. laxbum22

laxbum22

I have shot Glocks and they are a very fine pistol. I own a P01. It just feels better in my hand. Good luck.

18. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Dimension numbers don't give you the whole story. The P01 grip is definately shorter than a G17 and closer to the G19 grip length (they both don't fit me ;) ).

A CZ is going to be bigger than a Glock in general due to its construction and design.

19. NucSub

NucSub

For me, it was the balance of the P-01 that sold me on it. The alloy frame with an ergonomic grip makes it my most comfortable shooting gun. Also dead reliable since new.
    As to the gritty trigger, as soon as I got it home, I hosed it out with cleaner and lightly oiled it. Smooth for a production gun.
    The DA/SA transition is not even noticiable for me from the half cock unless I am slow and thinking too much.

20. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

This is not a knock on glock,but steel,alloy is real.IMO