close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

digital picture frame

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Feb 3, 2010.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

2. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Its basically a small tv screen that you put a digital media card in that has pictures on it. Pretty simple.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Go on Amazon and read reviews. The nice thing is prices are about 10% of what they were 4 years ago. I think I paid $120 and the one I have is worth about $40 now - 2 years later.

It's so I just let it run and run and run.

Mine is a SmartParts or something like that. Takes 2-3 different kinds of memory sticks. No random selection, but if you put 200+ pix on it, who cares if it doesn't randomize.

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

the Chinese were shipping these and putting viruses in these things a few years ago. I think that has been stopped though. damn chinese!!

5. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

found it.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/15/insignia-photo-frame-virus-much-nastier-than-originally-thought/

Ugh, we were already sick of digital photo frames -- and now it looks those now-discontinued virus-ridden Insignia units from Best Buy and several other models produced in China were carrying a much nastier trojan that we'd originally heard. According to an analyst form Computer Associates, the trojan, called Mocmex, is able to block more than 100 types of security and anti-virus software from killing it, and bypasses the Windows firewall to download files from remote locations, spreading them randomly over your hard drive and any portable storage device you plug into your PC -- like, for example, a digital photo frame. The trojan is apparently set to only steal gaming passwords at present, but CA says it's capable of stealing nearly any information on your machine, and thinks it might be a test for a much worse virus yet to come. Infected frames have come from Sam's Club, Target and Costco, in addition to Best Buy, so we'd say to avoid picking one up until this mess gets sorted out -- or, you know, forever.

6. RWBlue

Maybe I should be more specfic.

Is there a bad brand vs good brand?

Is there a minimal decent spec. and anything less than that is crap?

If you were buying today, where would you shop?

I am a computer geek, but I have done very little research into the subject of picture frames.

7. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I'm a big fan of the Kodak brand. They have the randomization which means you don't get 50 pictures of an event right in a row. They also have a timer so it can be set up to turn the screen on/off during the day. Mine turns on at 4pm and turns off at 10pm.

I gave some of them away at Christmas.

I had problems with Pandigital and don't recommend that brand.

8. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Thanks for posting the link about the virus. I wasn't aware of it and actually bought my mom one of the potentially infected frames for Christmas during that time frame, but she hasn't used it yet. I was told that I can take it into BestBuy and that they'll remove the virus if it has one

9. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

sweet. no prob. man

10. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I have one from Westinghouse. Been pretty good and Guest seem to love the pictures, go figure.

11. RWBlue

12. vafish

vafish

Just got my parents one for their 50th anniversary. All of us kids put a bunch of photo's on it.

It's a Sony and seems very good.

13. MrKandiyohi

One thing I do is create a directory on my PC I can digital frame. I use that to put all pictures I want in the frame. I can update it when I take new pictures. Just plug the frame into the PC and push the pictures on it. It's also nice if the frame does die. You don't need to go to all of the trouble of picking out pictures again.

14. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

I have one and my mother has one, they are dust collectors and never on. Luckily they were gifts. I would never buy one, instead buy nice photo frames. Unless I was going to buy one that was about 19" and hardwired to the house for electricity.

15. MrKandiyohi

Why don't you use it? Too small?

16. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

We have a digital frame that is awesome. These frames are expensive in comparison to what you can get from BB,Amazon etc but are worth it. And if it matters, they are made in the good old U.S.A.!

I looked around and read tons of reviews and specs. I found these to be the best for my money.

This depends on what you are looking for. Mine is wall mounted and connected to my network to view my photo albums that are on my pc. They are basically custom made. You pick the size screen and then pick from the large selection of frames & matting available. I love it and would buy one again. Here is the link to their site.

http://www.photovu.com/index.php?gclid=COOxjYfw4p8CFQ8E5QodUBauHQ