close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Phydeaux, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

A cheery howdy to everyone! I'm thinking about selling a few guns, so I can get a few more (different) ones. From personal experience, I know that it's super hard to send some unknown person a large chunk of cash for an item, sight unseen. I think (hope) providing pictures helps, so I want to get a digital camera. Being absolutely ignorant of same, I need help. Can anybody explain how the things operate, how you get the nice photos I see on the net, and how you get them onto the net in the spot you want them to go? And can anybody recommend a good (inexpensive) unit that I might get? Tank joo belly belly mooch, compadres!

2. Roro

Roro

You can start out with a basic digital camera, easy to do really. Go to best buy, walmart, circuit city etc and compare. You should really shop online though, Amazon.com or Ebay usually have great deals. You dont need anything fancy. Unless you want it of course.

The cheapest way to do it, is to have your 35mm developed at Walmart etc and have them make a picture disk for you. Then you just copy from the disk to your HD and voila.

Attaching pictures to a post is easy, you just want to use the "Attach File" feature thats right above the Submit reply/post button.

i think I covered some of that... you will also learn how to make your photos look nice. Contrasting backgrounds where the item stands out is great, you dont want it to blend in. Also always take multiple pictures in different lighting to get the best available shot.

Good luck. Happy camera hunting and what not if you do get a digital camera. The #1 pro of a digital camera is that you can see what the picture looks like right away. The #1 con is that you have to buy $90 to make the thing last longer than 20 minutes, but they're rechargeable :)

3. mlk18

mlk18

In my experience you can find used Sony Mavica's, at 1.3 mega-pixels, for around $200. They are easy to use, put your pictures on a standard 1.44mb disk and are simple and easy to get into your computer. Plus they take good crisp clear photos. I bought one off eBay a couple years ago and have been very happy with it.

Otherwise the best prices you can find on digi-cams is at www.computergeeks.com

mlk18

4. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Second the recommendation for a 1.3 Mp camera. That's all you'll need for posting to the web and casual pics of buddies at the range. You won't need >2 Mp unless you start printing out photos.

Run a search for a website called Steve's Digicams. He has reviews of all major digital cameras on his site and you can read the pros and cons of each.

There are a few good digicam threads in General Non-Glocking too.

I have a Canon S400 (4.0 Mp, 3x optical zoom) and love it. It's great stuff.

Justin

5. JAYTEAM

JAYTEAM GU Moderator

I bought my first digital camera Monday. It is a Kodak Easy Share with 3.2 MP. It was only $178 at Wal Mart. I think it makes a good first digital camera.

Jay

6. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

7. Bandito27

Bandito27

I have recently purchased the Kodak DX 6340. It retails for about $300 and change. I got it for $260 delivered from www.pagecomputers.com, fantastic service and fast shipping. The camera is a bit "loaded", 3.1 MP 7 pre programmed modes including "full manual", a video mode, tons of variables for precision amateur photography. No complaints, might be more than your looking for. My brother has the KODAK CX 4200, its the 2.0 MP auto focus, VERY nice pics for a $150 digital camera. I would also reccomend that to anyone who is just going to use it for internet postings and occasional gatherings/spontanious events. Good luck. ;c

8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Alrighty then! I've done it. I ordered a Gateway DC-M40. 4mp, 3x zoom, 32mb of memory. After typing "digital cameras" into my google search window, I discovered an excellent write-up on dc's. It explained all the whats and wherefores, what happens and why, etc. So any time now, you can expect to see some A-one ichiban photos. Wunnerful wunnerful. Thanks for heading me in the right direction, fellow bubbas!