Digital Camera Woes

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by jolly roger, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jolly roger

jolly roger

Recently I had a Nikon 5700 go into the shop with a "lens error". Then another Canon A80 I use at work with a dead LCD. All this in two weeks with two cameras, one of which was not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. A friend just had major problems with a D70 also.

May I suggest that digital cameras in general may not have LONG TERM reliability at all, and that may turn out to be their greatest downfall? I see posts all the time of various digital woes and error messages..yada yada. I am also seeing posts on photo forums of folks switching BACK to film! I am thinking about just getting a nice scanner for digital production.

I have N90s N80s old Canon A1s and a Pentax K1000 that have been reliable as bricks for 20-25 years. Any other dinosaurs out there getting the "digital doubts"?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Downfall? You mean you are actually predicting that people will stop buying digital cameras? ;P

I am sorry you've had problems, but anegdotal evidence does not make a valid statistical sample.
    Aha, good luck. I had a problem with my car recently. Would you suggest I switch to a horse and buggy?
    No wonder. K1000 was possibly one of the simplest cameras ever made. Sure it was reliable. You think you can actually go back?
    I did film photography for more than a quarter of a century, including processing in my own darkroom, and I would not DREAM of going back. My digital darkroom can dance circles around the dinosaur darkroom I used to work in.

BTW, I've had the same digital camera for 3 years. Not a single glitch.

You cannot stop technological evolution.

3. RBR

RBR

As with any thing electronic it's just a matter of time before it breaks on you. Digitals are probably overly sensitive to humidity and temperature changes compared to an old school 35mm.

Lens error sounds like it can't auto focus.

4. Glkster19

Glkster19

I'm a long ways from a professional photographer but I do take my fair share of digital pics. I have an Olympus D490 Zoom that has taken thousands of pictures with nothing ever being done to it other than new batteries. Kind of think of it as my Glock camera, always fires no matter what. I just purchased a new camera, not because it needed replacing but the 2.1 mega pixel was a little low, I bought a 5 mega pixel. And yes I bought another Olympus, I did look at some other brands but when it came time to purchase I couldn't argue with the trouble free ownership of my 1st Olympus.

As far as film cameras go, hell I've still got rolls of film here that never made it to the lab for development ;g

5. hatidua

hatidua

The pitfalls of digital are no more than there were with analog, we just had a long time to get used to the analog drawbacks....and there was no alternative to compare it to.

If you prefer to capture images with film based cameras, load up that K1000 and fire away. That camera model launched more than one career.;)

6. spober

spober

you just cant compete with the digital advantages.instant gradification!

7. G-2

G-2

I've had 3 different digital cams and they are as follows; 1st a Sony Mavica D-53 (maybe?) 1.4 grainy picts that wrote to floppy cost $450- took hundreds of pictures, sold it for 150; next was my Olympus C2100-UZ, took thousands of picts with it, purchase cost $500- sold it for $350- with every accessory under the sun. Currently using a Canon 20D. Still shoot film? nope (did shoot film from 81-96). 3 different rigs, no equip probs... BTW I live and shoot in the tropics. Just my $.02

8. Screehopper

Screehopper

I still have nostalgia for the old Nikons such as the FM and FE family. FM, FM2, FM2n, FE, FE2. Small, solid build, metal construction. Now-a-days, the digital SLRs are so plastic unless you dish out the dough for the pro digital SLRs. But those pro digital SLRs are so big and bulky. And they all eat batteries.

But unfortunately, I succumbed and use a digital SLR now. But I do miss traditional film.

9. 45R

45R

Maybe you guys were limpwristing you cameras ;P In all seriousness I've been using digital cameras since they first came out with a 2 megapixel. I've had no problems what so ever with my 2 point and shoot Canons (S110 and G5) or my Canon 10D dSLR.