Glock Talk banner

Digging My S&W 638

2144 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Blackshirt
I'm probaby "preaching to the choir" with this post, but decided to offer it anyway. I've owned a Smith 638 for a number of years, but was always underwhelmed by it's performance. It's lighter than my long-gone 36, but the grouping has never been very tight and the trigger was a bear. Over time, I collected a few bits that I thought I would use to improve this classy piece. After getting my foot badly contused in a tractor accident, I had a little downtime to do some smithing and here's what I did:

Rosewood Boot Grips: Back in my competition days, I always used wooden grips. Why? Because rubber grips don't allow easy natural adjustments after your initial firing grip is established. They just grip too well. Also rubber grips hang up on fabric slowing your draw from in a pocket. A nicely shaped wooden grip is self-adjusting to optimal and slides nicely over fabrics.

Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Spring Kit: This kit contains three springs and a new firing pin. The install is pretty easy (Apex has excellent install videos on their website) and you have a chance to clean/polish/lube your internals. Trigger pull is reduced from the factory 12 pound level to a smooth 9 pound double action stroke.

The result? Excellent groups and reliable function! The offhand double action strings at 5 yards had every hole touching; 1 1/4" groups at exactly the point of aim. Shooting comfort also improved as the grips I chose carried the web of my hand higher, reducing muzzle flip. My little gem now draws very quickly from a pocket holster and doesn't hang up on the shirt tail of my cover shirt when worn OWB. I'm very pleased and can't believe I waited so long to do this. If you have a factory J-Frame, these simple modifications are highly recommended.

Reactions: fnfalman
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· M62/76
14,812 Posts
That's a nice looking S&W for sure! I have a number of Smith J-frames and although I've ccw'd Glock 19s and 23s for years, those little J-frames are what I always carry for deep concealment. They really are timeless guns.

Reactions: Blackshirt

· NRA Life Member
32,719 Posts
Nice looking piece. I'll have to look into the Apex kit.

wp

· Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I love S&W J Frames.
Congratulations!

Here is one of my S&W Js
S&W 342 ti - 11.1 oz empty.
13.5 oz loaded with Speer GDHP SB.
Professional trigger job, OEM stainless steel trigger (hand polished and rounded),
XS Big Dot front sight & Hogue Bantam grips.
I really like that pinned front sight. The lower weight is nice, too. As for the Gold Dots, that is my carry ammo as well. Speer GD ammo is usually my first choice for all my handguns...good stuff.

Oh, also...the Apex kit is only 26 bucks. Nicely engineered and a great value...

· Registered
59,814 Posts
A J frame can be a very nice choice when small and light are important.

· NRA Life Member
32,719 Posts

· woo woo
31,834 Posts
Though my rubber stocked 442-2 is my EDC, I gotta agree it's nice having decent wood stocks as they slip in and out of concealment easier and allow fine tuning of the grip like you mentioned.
My 442 has a good amount of use so the trigger is pretty good, but that apex kit sounds attractive...
Great looking 638, I like the bodyguards.

· Registered
3,268 Posts
I'm a snubbie nut and I have a older 38 and it stays in my carry rotation .. Unlike yours .. It has to be fed standard pressure ammo ..this is a pic of my Model 38 and my S&W 637 Wyatt Deep Cover , I changed the grips to Uncle Mikes compact...
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

· NRA Life Member
32,719 Posts
Reactions: Blackshirt

· Ruggedly handsome
24,043 Posts
That's a nice looking piece mines a little more beat up from carrying everyday! I agree on the wood grips also I changed mine to an old school set of S&W grips I can get a much higher grip on it with them on!
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

· Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apex is running a 15% off sale today through 8/7. The Duty/Carry Spring Kit is going for a measly $22.06! Check out their excellent Glock-compatible armorer's block, too...

BTW, I have no affiliation with Apex. However, I'm impressed with their enterprise...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.