close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Difficulty sharing files over WiFi network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nephilim, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Baby Face Off Lifetime Member

I've been tinkering with it off and on for some time now, and its really irritating that I can't seem to get the file sharing to work over my WiFi Network.

I'm running a desktop PC with Windows XP Pro installed, and a laptop with XP Home. The wireless system is the newest LinkSys wireless router and router card.

I just can't seem to get the two computers to see each other. I have however networked both of them before, and shared files before.

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Are they both part of the same workgroup?

You can also access the computer via its ip address. For example \\192.168.0.1 which will then allow you to map a network drive.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Nephilim, is this an Ad Hoc network or is the signal actually going through the network's router/AP?!

I ask this not to flame or be rude, but because the very last WL call I got last week sounds just like your issue, and the problem was that the laptop was getting the Web through the WLAN card in the desktop and not through the AP!

When I arrived, both PC's could surf but the laptop couldn't see the desktop, though the desktop could access files in the laptop.

It seems the ADSL pipe came into his XP Pro box, then out via the WL Ethernet card and was picked up by the AP...and the laptop...at the same time.

Needless to say, this was rectified by simply setting everything up according to the instructions....but, of course, now he really DOES have a NAT router between him and the 'Net.

He seemed surprised that I could jack the 6' Ethernet cable straight into the AP (his quote:"I didn't even SEE that plugin there!"), and he was really surprised when I used his laptop's IE to enter the AP's config screen.

He watched as I set up the Access Point, configured it, and changed the password (WHICH I PROMPTLY WROTE DOWN FOR HIM), all in just a few minutes. He would probably not have been so taken aback had he read the directions...which isn't to say that you didn't, guy.

So after explaining what the $90 access point was intended to do for his LAN, I re-ran the NetSetup on the PC and ...SHAZAM. File sharing and surfing a'plenty on both machines, both behind the firewall which I configured with only the esential four ports open and filtered.

Good luck, and let's hope your issue's also a simple fix...

FastVFR

4. Nephilim

Yup, they are both part of the same workgroup.

I should have thought of the drive mapping thing, I'm going to try that.

Nope, not ad hoc, the desktop connects to the wireless router through an ethernet cable, and the laptop connects directly through the WiFi to the router.

I'm going to tinker with it some more, keep the good ideas coming :)

5. chevrofreak

Did you try my previous suggestion?

Are you running any firewalls?

6. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Hmmm - things to check :

Unique PC names
    Unique IPs
    Same workgroup name
    Same subnet/gateway
    Same SSID / WEP Key
    Both have Client for Microsoft Networks
    Both have File and Printer Sharing
    Both have Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - and no additional protocols
    Both have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled (helps with the names visibilty, but if you use the IPs - turn this off)
    Both are set for Infrastructure network type
    Both have 802.1x authentication disabled (unless your router supports it - linksys = not likely)
    Simple File Sharing on the Pro box is disabled
    Could make the share seamless also - use the same username/password on each box - when you acces a share it won;t ask to authenticate that way

When you go to find the other PC on the workgroup - do it by IP - you are using TCP/IP to network - its designed to use IPs, not PC names...

7. Nephilim

Guys... I feel like such a moron.

I found the problem.

I had the desktop running XP Pro, for about 2.5 years before I got my laptop. Ages ago, in an effort to streamline my performance... I had disabled a ton of services I didn't use. I disabled the file and print sharing service years ago and forgot I had done so (no network at the time, so it wasn't necessary) ;g

I'm such a dumb ***.

As soon as I fired up that service, and set the permissions, I was good to go. ;a

8. chevrofreak