Difficult To Rack Slide On G23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kelvinf, Feb 14, 2010.

1. kelvinf

kelvinf

Hey guys, i took my new G23 to the range today. I put 150 rds of FMJ and 20 rds of JHP through her without any hiccups. The only problem i did have was it is very hard to rack the slide back on a full magazine to chamber the first round. Is this a common problem with new glocks? If any of you know the cause and cure for this problem, please let me know. Thanks in advance

2. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

I assume you're using the 13 rd mags. I know what you are talking about. Mine does it too, but only when I have the full 13 rds loaded up. With the spring compressed down so far down that top round is pressing up really hard on the bottom of the slide. So what you're feeling is the friction of the slide drawing back far enough to get behind the first round. Once that first round is chambered it is smooth sailing from there. Sometimes I just use 12 rds in the mag to not deal with that same issue. Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

3. Tick_Tock_Glock

Tick_Tock_Glock

My G23 was hard to rack also at first. Put about 700 rounds through it and it seems to be easier to rack; also a lot smoother

4. Master T

Master T

Pull the slide back, and lock before inserting full clip. Once full clip is inserted release slide and you have your 13 shots ready.

5. greenlion

greenlion

Nothing wrong with the slide. New magazine = stiffer springs = more tension on the bottom of the slide. Solutions until it loosens up; (A) load 12 rounds, or (B) lock the slide back, insert magazine, release slide.

6. English

English

Either:
    a) Lock the slide back before you insert the full magazine.
    or
    b) Disassemble a magazine and cut a little (maybe 1/8th of an inch) of the bottom of the legs of the follower. If necessary take of half as much again. It is the follower bottoming out that causes the high resistance.

If you do (b) just do one magazine and test it thoroughly before you do another. If you take off too much it could tilt too much and jam.

English

7. j-glock22

j-glock22

8. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I agree.

just replaced the recoil spring in my G23, the old one had about 3000 rounds or so on it. After the swich, I could tell a difference when racking the slide. Give it 500 rounds or so, it'll get better.

9. den888

den888

I did not have this problem with my G23 (purchased October 2009).