close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Difficult IV Starts? Ever use a Transilluminator???

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Walter, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Walter

Walter

I have been using a $20.00 Transilluminator for my more difficult IV sticks. Am posting a pic to show you how well it works.Has anyone else had any experiences with Transilluminators? If anyone is interested just email me. Funnyrunner1@gmail.com

2. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

our hospital has a few. One is in the Pediatric ED, and I've seen those nurses use it a few times. I've had occasion to ask to borrow it for a hard start, but otherwise, we just do it the old fashioned way. If that doesn't work, we call the IV team.

Lynn

3. Glkster19

Glkster19

Seen them when they come out but never seen/used one. Ususally have pretty good luck doing it the old fashioned way. Learned a few tricks over the years so usuaully have fairly decent luck with them. The way I look at is this: If they need an IV that bad and you can't get 1 peripherally, there's always the jugulars. Everybody has them and they are usually pretty easily acessed ;f

4. SLIDER in KY

SLIDER in KY Millennium Member

Walter...Where did you get the transilluminator for $20??? I'd be interested on getting one myself. The service I work for has been using the sternal IO's (for cardiac arrests) for about three years, but now, we've started using the tibial ADULT IO's for times when you NEED IV access, but cannot get it. Only drawback to the tibial IO's is if you use it for a hypoglycemic patient, and they come around with D50/Thiamine, that IO hurts like heck!! Anyway...I'd like to know where you got that transilluminator!!!

5. SLIDER in KY

SLIDER in KY Millennium Member

Nevermind, Walter. Just found them on E-Bay. Hope it's the same one that you are talking about. It had the same picture that you posted. Bought one for $27 shipped!! Thanks for the info.

6. Glkster19

Glkster19

Can't think of the name of it, but there is this tourniquet on the market that is rubber coated and about a 1/2" in diameter. It has a clip on it that connects around an arm and you roll it down the arm a little and it makes the veins more accessible. Have tried that and it seems to help some.

Edited to add link to the product I'm talking about:

http://www.buyemp.com/product/1121508.html

7. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Last time I saw one of those it was in school (okay, it's been a while) and used in the pediatric clinic for ABGs. Have you thought about intraosseous? We moved to that for trauma in the military a couple of years ago. It's great for unconscious patients, very fast and hard to miss.

"Doc"

8. Glock-A-Roo

Glock-A-Roo

I've used a transilluminator for some tough sticks. It's called a "SureFire G2"! Worked great, especially after turning down the interior lights from High to Low.

9. hirs80

hirs80

G2 works for me. Had a hard stick on an IV drug user last shift. G2 lit it up and I got the stick. hooray for the G2.

10. Greenglock21

Greenglock21

Read the thread...Had to try it out for myself. I searched the web for different transilluminators and found one cool one that would let the user slide the catheter between the lights centered over a vein. It came with protective disposable sheaths and two colors of lights that illuminate deep and superficial veins. I was thinking that I had to have one until I saw the price tag- $450.

So, I just bought one off ebay like you other guys.

The main reason I'm writing is that I bet the ebay "transilluminators" are just red LED flashlights that some dude is getting cheap. I did a brief search myself but came up empty handed. Any of you guys think you might be able to find the "source" for the lights?

I'll let you know how mine works when it arrives. Could have used it today on a 400+ LB'er.

Stay safe out there-

11. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Sorry to jump in late in the game, but I was thinking the same thing. How this would be good to use on those hypoglycemic patients who have poor perip access or are all scared up from prev iv's.